Page 109 of 110 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110 LastLast
  1.    23 Jun 2017 #1080
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,666
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by maw2be View Post
    ... to move profiles from all PC to NAS.
    Questions:
    1. Will this work?
    2. Will this allow to login on any PC (like in domain)
    3. What in situation when some software isn't installed, link be broken?
    1. No.
    2. No.
    3. Relocating Users folder to another drive does not break any links.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    26 Jun 2017 #1081
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Posts : 1
    Win10

    Hey Kari,

    I was following your tut about move Users folder into another partition while installing Win10 from scratch.

    Is it possible to do it directly to a partition drive "E:" instead of "E:\Users"?
    I tried writing "E:" on relocation.xml but windows was more than 25 minutes with the spin animation loading. Should I try with "E:" instead of "E:"? Is is compulsory to user a folder ("E:\Users") ?

    Thank you
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    26 Jun 2017 #1082
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,666
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzaoh View Post
    Hey Kari,

    I was following your tut about move Users folder into another partition while installing Win10 from scratch.

    Is it possible to do it directly to a partition drive "E:" instead of "E:\Users"?
    I tried writing "E:" on relocation.xml but windows was more than 25 minutes with the spin animation loading. Should I try with "E:" instead of "E:"? Is is compulsory to user a folder ("E:\Users") ?

    Thank you
    The profile folder will always be named Users. That is the default name you should use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    26 Jun 2017 #1083
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,655
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    The profile folder will always be named Users. That is the default name you should use.
    Irrespective of your language I believe. You don't put E:\Utilisateurs for example (at least I never did).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    26 Jun 2017 #1084
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,666
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    Irrespective of your language I believe. You don't put E:\Utilisateurs for example (at least I never did).
    Yes. As I said it's the default name. File Explorer in my Finnish Windows shows it as Käyttäjät, in Swedish Windows as Användare, in German Windows as Benutzer, but all these are only localized links to folder Users.

    All Windows system files and folders always have English names or names based on English abbreviations, whatever language version of Windows you have installed. File Explorer, Start and such show these using localized links. Clicking Anteckningar on Start in Swedish Windows or Notepad in English Windows both do the same thing, they will open Notepad. Both are links to C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe.

    Laitehallinta in Finnish Windows and Device Manager in English Windows are both just localized links to devmgmt.msc, Device Manager, and so on.

    This applies to all Windows system files and folders. They all use the same English names or abbreviations in all language versions. All translations of these file and folder names are only localized links.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    02 Jul 2017 #1085
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10 rs1

    @Kari, Thanks for offering and maintaining this thread!
    Two brief contributions:
    1. Once again, for those who still want to try it: Don't attempt to move the ProgramData folder in Windows Ten. Restating what is in the OP and has likely been said over and over in this thread. I'm using LTSB (2016, rs1, 1607) and since I don't care about Windows apps, I thought I could get away with moving the ProgramData folder. Not possible. All I got was a black screen with mouse movement and an incomplete installation.
    2. You can do this fully unattended, skipping Audit Mode. I incorporated the "Folder Locations" section into a known working, fully unattended 'Answer File' that I usually use for PC installs. By using the default D:\ drive location for the 'Users' folder (I don't have a DVD drive attached to the PC), the whole install process--including moving the user folder--happened automatically without having to go into 'Audit Mode.' I know this isn't super exiting for true IT gurus--the answer file just did what it's designed to do. Still, I'm always a bit surprised when MS processes work like they're supposed to. Heaps of times MS just leaves you scratching your head in bafflement and hunting the internet for solutions! Oh ... and thanks again to Kari, since I probably wouldn't have even tried to do it all automatically without having this threads known working, manual Audit Mode explanation ready to go if my approach failed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    04 Jul 2017 #1086
    Join Date : Jul 2017
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB

    Hello... Thanks for the turorials... I've used your Windows 7 answer file with success in the past!
    But I'm a little confused as to why an imaging program is now mentioned in this Windows 10 article. I've never used one during a Windows 7 install. I already have the Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB installation ISO image (ver. 1607), downloaded from Microsoft. It already has two WIM files in the \sources directory: boot.wim and install.wim. Can I just use one of these? If so, do I still need to follow the imaging step? In previous version of your file for 7, there was already a line near the bottom which went: <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:X:/sources/install.wim#Windows 7 ULTIMATE" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    Can something similar be done with Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    04 Jul 2017 #1087
    Join Date : Jul 2017
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    Two days ago, I followed the instructions in Method 2 since I had just done a new Windows 10 install after my hard drive failed. Everything seemed to work fine, as a new Users folder was created on my D: drive, which is a second partition on my new SSD, with the C: partition obviously being the OS. However, after I rebooted, at least some programs seem to be saving files back under the appdata folder on my C: drive. I see some files dated and time-stamped as last night in both the C: and D: appdata folders (but with different time stamps). Any idea what is going on and how to fix it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 Jul 2017 #1088
    Join Date : Jul 2017
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    Just to clarify as I'd like to avoid using audit mode....
    A typical setup for me is an SSD and a HDD. No CD/DVD drive.
    I also plan to use my free digital copy by logging into my MS account, and use troubleshooting wizard after swapping out a motherboard.

    So in the perfect world, it knows to automatically put the OS on the SSD making it C and then automatically make the HDD my D drive???
    My plan is to:
    1. Create the XML noted in the first post.
    2. Customize it with amd64 for 64bit version and use D:\Users for ProfilesDirectory.
    3. I will then name it Autounattend.xml
    4. I will then create the Windows 10 media using the Windows USB creator tool.
    5. After creating the USB for Windows 10 USB drive, I will just place the Autounattend.xml file to the root of the USB drive and I am done.
    6. Boot up on the USB drive and it will install windows 10 creator edition


    EDIT: An additional question, I was planning to re-use my HDD, Will this drive also be formatted or will it just leave it alone and try to map to Users? Again, I am doing a fresh install of the OS on the new SSD as I am changing my motherboard. I was hoping to leave my data alone on the HDD basically. it is a pure data storage drive and windows itself was never installed on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by lomspark View Post
    @Kari, Thanks for offering and maintaining this thread!
    Two brief contributions:
    1. Once again, for those who still want to try it: Don't attempt to move the ProgramData folder in Windows Ten. Restating what is in the OP and has likely been said over and over in this thread. I'm using LTSB (2016, rs1, 1607) and since I don't care about Windows apps, I thought I could get away with moving the ProgramData folder. Not possible. All I got was a black screen with mouse movement and an incomplete installation.
    2. You can do this fully unattended, skipping Audit Mode. I incorporated the "Folder Locations" section into a known working, fully unattended 'Answer File' that I usually use for PC installs. By using the default D:\ drive location for the 'Users' folder (I don't have a DVD drive attached to the PC), the whole install process--including moving the user folder--happened automatically without having to go into 'Audit Mode.' I know this isn't super exiting for true IT gurus--the answer file just did what it's designed to do. Still, I'm always a bit surprised when MS processes work like they're supposed to. Heaps of times MS just leaves you scratching your head in bafflement and hunting the internet for solutions! Oh ... and thanks again to Kari, since I probably wouldn't have even tried to do it all automatically without having this threads known working, manual Audit Mode explanation ready to go if my approach failed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    03 Aug 2017 #1089
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Build 10576

    Thanks for these great tutorials; I keep learning from them!

    I have two questions in regard to moving user profiles please:

    (1) The latest builds (16251, 16257) have different screens presented through the installation process - which (of the latest screens) is the proper place to interrupt the installation and boot for audit mode? I thought it might be the screen that introduces Cortana?

    (2) I have many, many files stored in my User profile between My Documents, Pictures, Music, etc. I would like to relocate my profile folders to "E:\Users", but I'd like to simply point to my *existing* on-disk folder set for the user profile I create during a clean install (i.e E:\Users\Jeff). It seems that a new, uniquely-named folder is always created. If you specify an online Microsoft account it is the first few letters of that email and if it is a local account the generated system name is appended to make the folder name unique. So for local user 'Jeff' this becomes a folder named Jeff-SYSTEM_NAME.

    I really just want it to use my old existing folder so I don't have hours upon hours of copying - is there anyway to accomplish this? It seems like there should be a way since Windows can perform an in-place upgrade and retain the existing profile folders.
    Thanks in advance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Solved User Folder - Move Location drive replacement
I used the tutorial to move my user folders to a spare, second drive in my laptop. Now I'm thinking about changing it from a spinner to an SSD and I'm wondering what steps I should be considering, before I make that swap, to preserve my user folders...
Installation and Upgrade
My Downloads folder is filling up my C drive...how do I move it?
Folks, I don't want to move my Users folder. (Kari has an excellent tutorial on that. I did it on a previous system and that's not a solution for me.) My C drive is an SSD and my downloads are at 120GB. Sure, I can move things manually, but...
General Support
Stuck in infinite boot loop after attempting to move users folder
Machine: Alienware M17x R5 Laptop OS: Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro) What caused the problem: 1. I wanted to change the locations of the users directory from C:\ (SSD partition that contains the OS) to W:\ (HDD) 2. I...
General Support
Best Way To Move Users Folder Back to System Drive With Programs
Hi! I have a computer that is stuck in an "automatic repair" loop. On this machine, the Users folder is on a separate physical hard drive than the system drive. I have concluded that I will have to reset the PC. What is the best way to move...
General Support
Can't move Music folder to another drive
I'm trying to move all of my documents to a new hard drive and I successfully did it with all of them except for the "Music" folder; each time I try to move it to a new location I get this error message: 67258 Is there a way to correct this?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums