Windows 10: Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  


  1. Posts : 11,238
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       18 Apr 2017 #1010

    PCSBristol said: View Post
    Microsoft has switched from .wim files to .esd files...do you have a work around for this yet or can we simply edit the xml file from "wim" to "esd"

    if you try to use this WIM code with a ESD install it fails every time!
    It has been mentioned several times in this tutorial that Windows install media is no longer needed for this process. Also the tutorial has been edited, the CPI Source line removed from sample answer file.

    Just use (copy & paste) the answer file from Method One Step 2 in this tutorial.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    18 Apr 2017 #1011

    I have used the answer file in method 1 step 2 and it fails every time, I then used the 2nd answer file and again fails every time, I then tried editing the code to point to the esd file and it worked so I guess I answered my own question but I have to say that I have followed your procedure a few times in the past and had no issues at all but for some reason this time I have been fighting with this laptop for about 3 weeks now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       18 Apr 2017 #1012

    Kari said: View Post
    It has been mentioned several times in this tutorial that Windows install media is no longer needed for this process. Also the tutorial has been edited, the CPI Source line removed from sample answer file.

    Just use (copy & paste) the answer file from Method One Step 2 in this tutorial.

    Kari
    Is this tutorial going to be updated more information about updating Creator Updates or will it have no further modification?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,238
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       18 Apr 2017 #1013

    Prezzi said: View Post
    Is this tutorial going to be updated more information about updating Creator Updates or will it have no further modification?
    The method works exactly as told in this tutorial in all Windows versions, from Vista to Windows 10 Creators Update.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       18 Apr 2017 #1014

    Kari said: View Post
    The method works exactly as told in this tutorial in all Windows versions, from Vista to Windows 10 Creators Update.
    I asked for this:Creators Update will be released in March / April 2017, at which point the tutorial will be rewritten. This video shows how to relocate Users folder has become. Video made using build 15007.I thought the tutorial would be rewritten in April.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 11,238
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       18 Apr 2017 #1015

    There is no reason to rewrite this tutorial as Creators Update didn't change anything in this process.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    22 Apr 2017 #1016

    Hi Kari! I followed this guide to move Users folder and it of course worked perfectly. Thank you, very much appreciate your contribution and insight!

    The problem I am encountering is that I now want to swap out the SSD which serves as my D: for a higher capacity one. I cloned the SSD, then swapped out the drives, but on login I get an error about the User Profile Service. Copying files seems between drives gives the same results.

    I'm imagining this has something to do with the UID particular to each drive. I'm not sure how to overcome this short of re-installing Windows. In this case, do I need to follow Method 2 to relocate the Users back to C:, perform the drive swap, and then relocate Users again back to D:?

    Seems like a lot of work to be able to swap the drive out. I'm hoping you know of a more straightforward method.


    EDIT: i think I found your answer to a similar question on page 93 of this thread. As an aside and to the point you made there, I did try to boot into my imaging program and restore the cloned image, but that didn't do the trick. So i guess it's off to try Method 2!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 64bit
       4 Weeks Ago #1017

    Hi, I followed this tutorial to try and move my users folder. However, after running sysprep, the computer got stuck constantly rebooting
    After running sysprep - YouTube
    I've left it doing that out of fear of screwing something up by manually shutting it down. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by hbmonk; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:33. Reason: Typos
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 11,238
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       4 Weeks Ago #1018

    hbmonk said: View Post
    Hi, I followed this tutorial to try and move my users folder. However, after running sysprep, the computer got stuck constantly rebooting
    After running sysprep - YouTube
    I've left it doing that out of fear of screwing something up by manually shutting it down. Any suggestions?
    First thing to try is simply restart. Power off PC, power it on and see if it now works. If not, something is wrong with the answer file or drive assignment. In that case if you did this on a new fresh Windows installation (Method One in tutorial), you have to start from beginning by reinstalling Windows.

    If you did this on an existing installation (Method Two), restore the system image you made before starting and either try again, checking first the drive assignment and answer file, or use another method to relocate your documents as told in this tutorial: Change Storage Save Locations in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 64bit
       4 Weeks Ago #1019

    Kari said: View Post
    First thing to try is simply restart. Power off PC, power it on and see if it now works. If not, something is wrong with the answer file or drive assignment. In that case if you did this on a new fresh Windows installation (Method One in tutorial), you have to start from beginning by reinstalling Windows.

    If you did this on an existing installation (Method Two), restore the system image you made before starting and either try again, checking first the drive assignment and answer file, or use another method to relocate your documents as told in this tutorial: Change Storage Save Locations in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

    Kari

    I created an installation USB thing to try and restore from a restore point, but I get this error:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I used the tutorial to move my user folders to a spare, second drive in my laptop. Now I'm thinking about changing it from a spinner to an SSD and I'm wondering what steps I should be considering, before I make that swap, to preserve my user folders...
Folks, I don't want to move my Users folder. (Kari has an excellent tutorial on that. I did it on a previous system and that's not a solution for me.) My C drive is an SSD and my downloads are at 120GB. Sure, I can move things manually, but...
Machine: Alienware M17x R5 Laptop OS: Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro) What caused the problem: 1. I wanted to change the locations of the users directory from C:\ (SSD partition that contains the OS) to W:\ (HDD) 2. I...
Hi! I have a computer that is stuck in an "automatic repair" loop. On this machine, the Users folder is on a separate physical hard drive than the system drive. I have concluded that I will have to reset the PC. What is the best way to move...
I'm trying to move all of my documents to a new hard drive and I successfully did it with all of them except for the "Music" folder; each time I try to move it to a new location I get this error message: 67258 Is there a way to correct this?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:00.
Find Us