Clean Install Windows 10  

Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
  1. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,789
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #480

    gordon55 said:
    The main difficulty was the yellow warning rectangles were in "other devices",
    not in the expected "network adapters".
    Do you mean the yellow triangles below?
    gordon55 said:
    If you have got the correct drivers, you will not see the yellow triangles.
    What network adapters are you using?

    With reference to drivers, you may start a thread here: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 7
    windows 10 pro
       #481

    Matthew Wai said:
    Do you mean the yellow triangles below?

    If you have got the correct drivers, you will not see the yellow triangles.
    What network adapters are you using?

    With reference to drivers, you may start a thread here: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/
    Hi Matthew,
    I ran the clean install, but it got stuck at the "I don't have internet" (page 20 in the tutorial).
    Shawn suggested to push on through. The clean install finished and created a local account but I
    could not connect to the internet. I checked the drivers under "network adapters" and could find
    nothing out of place. At that point I looked at other driver categories and I found that there
    were 2 drivers with yellow warning triangles. They were in a category named "other devices".
    One of those drivers was for network access. I ran "update driver" on that driver and that
    is when the clouds parted and everything just plain worked. And, of course that cleared
    the warning triangle for that driver. The second triangle was for speakers, and another update fixed that.
    So there are no yellow triangles now.
    Let me know if not clear.
    Thanks for your interest.

    Gordon
      My Computer

  3. Jaguwaar20's Avatar
    Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Home
       #482

    Usually, you would want to have all disks other than the OS drive disconnected when doing a clean install to avoid something being done to the other disks by mistake.
    Pardon me for asking these questions if they sound dumb or were already asked. (The replies date back 6 yrs)
    Brink not only said in reply #470 about preventing something that could happen to the other drive, but also in the tutorial. Some questions came up.

    I have a NVMe SSD where I will do the clean install of Windows. I also have a second internal HDD just used for personal files, backups, and other stuff.

    Are we talking about disconnecting the internal HDD here inside the enclosure ? The thought made me pause about this.

    The other concern with this OEM machine received from the factory regarding the PCle based SSD is it was set in RAID mode by the factory. According to Intel's site about Rapid Storage Technology driver, they say the driver supports NVMe devices. In my boot menu, it shows the Controller Type in RAID mode is NVMe. The storage controllers in Device Manager (in RAID mode) are the Intel Chipset SATA /PCle RST Premium Controller (and also the Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller).

    So if I choose to leave BIOS set up in RAID mode before doing the clean re-install of Windows, would the current config be more apt to install every OS file on the primary partition of the SSD where I won't have to be concerned that Windows will try to do something on the HDD ?

    Last question. The tutorial in step 14 talks about Windows 10 20H1. So naturally it raised an eyebrow since it hasn't been released to the average Joe. What does this all mean where Windows is installing the partitions order differently with 20H1? My current partitions are and will be the same after a clean re-install using 19H2 installed from MCT. I'm not seeing what MS's reason is to do that.
    Thanks. Sorry for sounding longwinded
      My Computer

  4. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,789
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #483

    Jaguwaar20 said:
    Are we talking about disconnecting the internal HDD here inside the enclosure ? The thought made me pause about this.
    Forgot to disconnect HDD before Windows 10 Install
      My Computer

  5. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,946
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
    Thread Starter
       #484

    Jaguwaar20 said:
    Pardon me for asking these questions if they sound dumb or were already asked. (The replies date back 6 yrs)
    Brink not only said in reply #470 about preventing something that could happen to the other drive, but also in the tutorial. Some questions came up.

    I have a NVMe SSD where I will do the clean install of Windows. I also have a second internal HDD just used for personal files, backups, and other stuff.

    Are we talking about disconnecting the internal HDD here inside the enclosure ? The thought made me pause about this.

    The other concern with this OEM machine received from the factory regarding the PCle based SSD is it was set in RAID mode by the factory. According to Intel's site about Rapid Storage Technology driver, they say the driver supports NVMe devices. In my boot menu, it shows the Controller Type in RAID mode is NVMe. The storage controllers in Device Manager (in RAID mode) are the Intel Chipset SATA /PCle RST Premium Controller (and also the Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller).

    So if I choose to leave BIOS set up in RAID mode before doing the clean re-install of Windows, would the current config be more apt to install every OS file on the primary partition of the SSD where I won't have to be concerned that Windows will try to do something on the HDD ?

    Last question. The tutorial in step 14 talks about Windows 10 20H1. So naturally it raised an eyebrow since it hasn't been released to the average Joe. What does this all mean where Windows is installing the partitions order differently with 20H1? My current partitions are and will be the same after a clean re-install using 19H2 installed from MCT. I'm not seeing what MS's reason is to do that.
    Thanks. Sorry for sounding longwinded
    Hello,

    While not required, it's just recommended to disconnect (unplug data cable) any hard disk that is not an OS drive before installing Windows 10. This is done to prevent Windows Setup from using any part of a separate disk for say a recovery or boot partition by mistake depending on how the disks are configured. It will not hurt anything to do this since they would only be data drives, and you would be connecting them back after Windows has finished installing.

    Correct. At step 14, the Recovery partition will be created last when clean installing Windows 10 starting with Windows 10 20H1. This was done to make it easier to remove the recovery partition if wanted later and extend back into it.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 694
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1
       #485

    I used a Windows 8 pro key to upgrade Windows 10 to pro, what happens if I do a clean install of Windows 10?
      My Computer

  7. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,946
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
    Thread Starter
       #486

    rdwray said:
    I used a Windows 8 pro key to upgrade Windows 10 to pro, what happens if I do a clean install of Windows 10?
    Hello mate,

    If the Windows 8 Pro key activated Windows 10 Pro, then you should now have a digital license for Windows 10 for this computer on Microsoft's activation servers.

    If you link this digital license to your Microsoft account, it should help make sure Windows 10 Pro gets activated when you set up Windows 10 with the same Microsoft account during the clean install.

    Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 694
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1
       #487

    Brink said:
    Hello mate,

    If the Windows 8 Pro key activated Windows 10 Pro, then you should now have a digital license for Windows 10 for this computer on Microsoft's activation servers.

    If you link this digital license to your Microsoft account, it should help make sure Windows 10 Pro gets activated when you set up Windows 10 with the same Microsoft account during the clean install.

    Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License
    When I upgraded from home to pro, I did it with a local account and then later created a MS account, but I cannot sign in with the MS account from settings even though I can do it online or MS store. It simply pops up a blank window and closes it immediately.
      My Computer

  9. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,946
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
    Thread Starter
       #488

    rdwray said:
    When I upgraded from home to pro, I did it with a local account and then later created a MS account, but I cannot sign in with the MS account from settings even though I can do it online or MS store. It simply pops up a blank window and closes it immediately.
    It should still allow you to clean install W10 Pro and enter the W8 Pro key to activate since you already upgraded to W10 with it.

    Linking to the Microsoft account is just an extra option to help make sure.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 694
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1
       #489

    Brink said:
    It should still allow you to clean install W10 Pro and enter the W8 Pro key to activate since you already upgraded to W10 with it.

    Linking to the Microsoft account is just an extra option to help make sure.
    It states that I have a digital license, would that be the same as the product key?
      My Computer


 
Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Clean Install Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums