Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade  


  1. Posts : 24,584
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #870

    Phil0sophy said:
    ...when comparing my version of windows (1607) to the latest build none of these issues exist, which leads me to believe it's an issue with 1903...
    I have all versions of Windows 10 available on my test machine (System Two in My Computers below) from the original release 1507 up to 1903. I see no such issue with 1903, they all boot up in about the same time....

    Bree said:
    Bear in mind this is a low spec machine. The times are relatively slow, but it is a valid comparison as, other than the OS build, all else is identical - same installed software, settings, hardware, HDD and partition sizes.... Testing a few times for each and taking the fastest time, a full Restart took:

    1507 - 86 seconds
    1511 - 106 seconds
    1607 - 104 seconds
    1703 - 107 seconds
    1709 - 108 seconds
    on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before - post #185

    ...to which I can now add:

    1903 -112 seconds
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #871

    Do I need to disable secure boot even if I'm mounting the ISO from within Windows itself? Being an official ISO created by the MCT, one would think Secure Boot would allow this, no?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 61,520
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #872

    ElysiumDream said:
    Do I need to disable secure boot even if I'm mounting the ISO from within Windows itself? Being an official ISO created by the MCT, one would think Secure Boot would allow this, no?

    Hello Elysium, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    It is recommend to temporarily disable secure boot before doing a repair install to prevent possible issues during the restarts while installing. You can enable it again after the repair install has finished though.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #873

    Brink said:
    Hello Elysium, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    It is recommend to temporarily disable secure boot before doing a repair install to prevent possible issues during the restarts while installing. You can enable it again after the repair install has finished though.
    My BIOS has a Legacy + UEFI option, if I set that would that work just the same as Legacy only when it comes to this stuff? Thanks for the help.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 61,520
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #874

    ElysiumDream said:
    My BIOS has a Legacy + UEFI option, if I set that would that work just the same as Legacy only when it comes to this stuff? Thanks for the help.
    No. That wouldn't be for secure boot.

    Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC

    That is for when you want to clean install W10 with Legacy BIOS or UEFI instead. You would want to leave it set to whatever it currently is set to.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #875

    Brink said:
    No. That wouldn't be for secure boot.

    Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC

    That is for when you want to clean install W10 with Legacy BIOS or UEFI instead. You would want to leave it set to whatever it currently is set to.
    I guess I'm confused then. My BIOS is an MSI Click on a B350 PC MATE MOBO. The only thing that references UEFI is this option and it is under the boot tab for a "Boot mode select". :c

    e:

    Might have figured it out, underneath Windows OS/Configuration there was 4 options related to the boot process for specific operating systems, but they were all disabled already.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 61,520
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #876

      My Computers


  8. Posts : 67
    Win10 Enterprise x64 & Win 7 Home x64
       #877

    i didn't read the instructions fully and followed the screenshot. Thought it meant i had to select "keep personal files only" for in-place upgrade/repairs. Can you make the "select" clearer/move it away so it is better understood?



      My Computer


  9. Posts : 61,520
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #878

    Hello @imeem,

    Sorry about the confusion. That was meant for you to select which option you wanted to use if you didn't want to use the default and recommended Keep personal files and apps.

    The screenshot has now been updated to help.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 67
    Win10 Enterprise x64 & Win 7 Home x64
       #879

    Thanks Brink.
    I was able to restore my files after reverting back and doing the process again. I notice for the problem i was having, Choosing Keep personal files and apps did not fix my issue
    I had to pick Keep files only. Weird.
      My Computer


 

Tutorial Categories

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums