Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade  


  1. Posts : 1,097
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.437)
       #720

    Ah, yeah. Wasn't thinking clearly yet. Coffee this morning was "time release".
      My Computer


  2. abe
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10 pro
       #721

    I can't help but wonder, how many hours of sitting at a computer to reach the level of expertise of Shawn Brink?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2,422
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #722

    abe said:
    I can't help but wonder, how many hours of sitting at a computer to reach the level of expertise of Shawn Brink?
    My guess would be...at least 10,000 hours, but tons of brains too!!! :)
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,422
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #723

    A quick question to Shawn @Brink and anybody else who has a substantiated opinion and would like to share it.

    How similar is an In-place Upgrade with a Windows system upgrade, i.e. the upcoming RS4 (Spring Creators Update)?
    If the reason for the In-Place Upgrade is just for refreshing the Windows 10 installation to resolve minor/non-blocking issues, someone can live with for a while, is it worth doing an In-place Upgrade and not wait for the upcoming System Upgrade?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 56,052
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #724

    ddelo said:
    A quick question to Shawn @Brink and anybody else who has a substantiated opinion and would like to share it.

    How similar is an In-place Upgrade with a Windows system upgrade, i.e. the upcoming RS4 (Spring Creators Update)?
    If the reason for the In-Place Upgrade is just for refreshing the Windows 10 installation to resolve minor/non-blocking issues, someone can live with for a while, is it worth doing an In-place Upgrade and not wait for the upcoming System Upgrade?
    Other than the media used and some minor process steps you see, there is no difference. Many of us here do an upgrade Insider via the WU, make an ISO, and use that to update other Insider machines we have. We are very close to final release, and the Media Creation Tool will then be available to download the RS4 in official package. Or you can do the Release Preview trick and then leave Insider. In the end, it's all gonna be the same. Your choice.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 2,422
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #725

    Thanks a lot Dick.
    That's what I thought too...as I have successfully done the In-place Upgrade in the past. But since I'm a member of the best Windows 10 forum, I thought that it would be a good idea to take advantage of the forum's huge expertise and verify it!!
    Last edited by ddelo; 22 Apr 2018 at 08:25.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 56,052
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #726

    ddelo said:
    Thanks a lot Dick.
    That's what I thought too...as I have successfully done the In-place Upgrade in the past. But since I'm a member of the best Windows 10 forum, I thought that it would be a good idea to take advantage of the forum's huge expertise and verify it!!
    You're welcome, sir! Others may have input on this also. :)
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 39,958
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #727

    ddelo,
    These are some additional factors to consider:
    Internet data caps,
    Internet speed,
    Registry problems,
    Unexpected problems with new Windows builds,
    Rollback time period
    1) There were reported problems with the recent Windows 10 build upgrade and the release was delayed.
    Once you install the new build either as an upgrade or with an iso there is a limited time period to roll back to the previous build.
    Performing an in place upgrade will allow you to fix operating system problems and settings can be modified to delay the upgrade.
    2) Some internet plans have data caps. The data transmitted for updates is minimal immediately after the iso is released and is maximal just before the next build release. There is typically 6 months of updates between build upgrades. So using an iso can reduce data usage.
    3) Download speed. If the download speed is slow the iso should be quicker than the upgrade.
    4) If there are any registry problems consider a backup using Macrium followed by a clean install.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,422
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #728

    zbook said:
    ddelo,
    These are some additional factors to consider:
    Internet data caps,
    Internet speed,
    Registry problems,
    Unexpected problems with new Windows builds,
    Rollback time period
    1) There were reported problems with the recent Windows 10 build upgrade and the release was delayed.
    Once you install the new build either as an upgrade or with an iso there is a limited time period to roll back to the previous build.
    Performing an in place upgrade will allow you to fix operating system problems and settings can be modified to delay the upgrade.
    2) Some internet plans have data caps. The data transmitted for updates is minimal immediately after the iso is released and is maximal just before the next build release. There is typically 6 months of updates between build upgrades. So using an iso can reduce data usage.
    3) Download speed. If the download speed is slow the iso should be quicker than the upgrade.
    4) If there are any registry problems consider a backup using Macrium followed by a clean install.
    Thnx for the advice. As factors 2,3 and 4 do not exist, I would definitely agree on 1. But again, before each upgrade I always make a Macrium full image, thus I do not rely on Microsoft's rollback ability!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Home
       #729

    Thank you Shawn and others for resolving my issue


    Hi,
    I have just registered for this site as I would like to thank Shawn for his help in solving a problem I have had since early this year as a result of an MS update.

    My issue was with the culmulative patches MS issued which were failing to install. Although it all started when I was unable to login one weekend and the only way I could resolve it was with a reset, at least at the time that was all I could find using a Google search. Following that none of the patches would install and as a consequence my PC was constantly showing a warning that it was at risk and needed to be restarted to install said patch, which of course it failed to do every time!

    As you can imagine this was frustrating for me and yesterday I found this forum and following Shawn's guide I have been able to resolve it at last.

    Once again thank you Shawn, and others, for all your help, now it will be my first port of call if/should I get another issue. Hopefully I won't but then it is MS and for the last 4 months I haven't seen much in the way of information on their so called support portal, merely the same info from different 'MS technicians' being regurgitated in a different format.
      My Computer


 

Tutorial Categories

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums