Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade  


  1. Posts : 56,052
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #540

    memathews said:
    A quick THANKS for this thread and the great information enclosed.

    Over the weekend my desktop blue-screened, then last night rebooted with a "repair" that almost destroyed the OS (Win10 1607). Start menu stopped operating (except right-click), File Explorer would bring only one window up at a time, multiple programs said they were corrupted, the desktop disappeared every ten minutes or so and forced a reboot, RUN did not work properly, PowerShell did not work properly, chkdsk was unable to run, a real mess. Also, SpinRite in level 2 did nothing, which is rare.

    The thread Solved Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums was excellent in giving me some hope after sfc did not work. The instructions in the thread where this message is posted were excellent in guiding me to a set of solutions that solved the issue with about 6 hours of work. This is my main workstation for general work as well as digital video production and podcast production, so this was important to get running again.

    Thank you all for participating, contributing questions and answers. You convinced me to join the forum, although I hope I don't have additional problems to report.
    @memathews, Welcome to Tenforums! Glad to hear the info was helpful and got you back up and running. I hope you don't have any more problems, either. Feel free, please, to contribute. Pipe up in any thread with any suggestions of help you think may work. All input is welcome. Enjoy!

    (It's not all sweat and toil....check out the Chill Out Room. Some fun stuff in there! )
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro
       #541

    f14tomcat said:
    @memathews, Welcome to Tenforums! Glad to hear the info was helpful and got you back up and running. I hope you don't have any more problems, either. Feel free, please, to contribute. Pipe up in any thread with any suggestions of help you think may work. All input is welcome. Enjoy!

    (It's not all sweat and toil....check out the Chill Out Room. Some fun stuff in there! )
    Thx, I'll check that out. As for contributing help, I seem to be able to mess more up than I fix, but I'll contribute when possible. ;-)
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 26,344
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #542

    memathews said:
    Thx, I'll check that out. As for contributing help, I seem to be able to mess more up than I fix, but I'll contribute when possible. ;-)
    Then best get a system image program like Macrium Reflect(paid or free, which is good enough actually):
    Macrium Reflect Free

    And this thread in the forums is where you can see when there is an update, and if you should update the recovery drive:
    Solved New Macrium Reflect Update - Windows 10 Forums

    And here is an excellent tutorial on how to set it up and use:
    Macrium Reflect - Backup Restore - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 12
    Windows 10 Pro
       #543

    Hello everyone, I want to ask something :)

    So, I'm doing an In-place Upgrade right now without turning off secure boot in my UEFI settings.

    Will there any errors or something that can ruin my system?

    Thanks in advance.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 56,052
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #544

    bima1997 said:
    Hello everyone, I want to ask something :)

    So, I'm doing an In-place Upgrade right now without turning off secure boot in my UEFI settings.

    Will there any errors or something that can ruin my system?

    Thanks in advance.
    @bima1997
    No sir, should not be a problem. You're already up and running in the OS when you start the in-place upgrade/repair. It will prep the files it needs and boot a few times, but because it's booting as part of the process, there will be no issues. The UEFI Safe Boot deals with booting from external media, like DVDs or a USB thumb drive.

    Hope this helps, and good luck with your repair! TC

    Do a good system image backup first, just to be safe. Good practice.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 12
    Windows 10 Pro
       #545

    f14tomcat said:
    @bima1997
    No sir, should not be a problem. You're already up and running in the OS when you start the in-place upgrade/repair. It will prep the files it needs and boot a few time, but because it's booting as part of the process, there will be no issues. The UEFI Safe Boot deals with booting from external media, like DVDs or a USB thumb drive.

    Hope this helps, and good luck with your repair! TC
    @f14tomcat
    Ah, I see. Thanks for your fast reply
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 56,052
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #546

    bima1997 said:
    @f14tomcat
    Ah, I see. Thanks for your fast reply
    You're welcome! To be safe, as always, do a backup first. Good luck. TC
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 14
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       #547

    step:4 To do a repair install of Windows 10 with an ISO file - Can I use a Windows 10 DVD that I burned?
    This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything. ​Is this tutorial just for an upgrade? Or can I use this method to repair my Windows 10 Pro install, while keeping all of my installed programs? Thanks
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 61,520
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #548

    Hello dlfetters48, and welcome to Ten Forums. :)

    Yes, you can use a Windows 10 DVD as well. When you open the DVD, you would just pick up at step 4C.

    A repair install is used to repair your current installation by basically doing an in-place upgrade using the same build so you don't lose anything during the process.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 14
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       #549

    dlfetters48 said:
    step:4 To do a repair install of Windows 10 with an ISO file - Can I use a Windows 10 DVD that I burned?
    This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything. ​Is this tutorial just for an upgrade? Or can I use this method to repair my Windows 10 Pro install, while keeping all of my installed programs? Thanks
    My PC has been Blue Screening every time that I put an USB stick in my front USB ports. What are the chances that this method will solve this? Thank You Brink for your earlier quick reply!!
      My Computer


 

Tutorial Categories

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums