Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade  

  1. steve108's Avatar
    Posts : 16,238
    19041.1348 - 2004/20H1 Pro x64
       #1320

    @Brink Hello Shawn,
    I have seen it recommended time and time again to disconnect all extraneous hardware and extra drives other than the one with the OS to be repaired/upgraded.

    Just had someone tell me that their external drive with Windows got repair upgraded instead of their main boot drive.

    What do you think about adding that recommendation in a red block? Thanks.
      My Computer

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 59,912
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #1321

    steve108 said:
    @Brink Hello Shawn,
    I have seen it recommended time and time again to disconnect all extraneous hardware and extra drives other than the one with the OS to be repaired/upgraded.

    Just had someone tell me that their external drive with Windows got repair upgraded instead of their main boot drive.

    What do you think about adding that recommendation in a red block? Thanks.
    Hello Steve,

    This is usually only recommended when doing a clean install of Windows.

    Since a repair install is basically just an inplace upgrade from within Windows, it shouldn't be an issue since you're not selecting where to install. You certainly could disconnect all drives first if wanted, but it shouldn't be necessary.
      My Computers

  3. steve108's Avatar
    Posts : 16,238
    19041.1348 - 2004/20H1 Pro x64
       #1322

    Brink said:
    Hello Steve,

    This is usually only recommended when doing a clean install of Windows.

    Since a repair install is basically just an inplace upgrade from within Windows, it shouldn't be an issue since you're not selecting where to install. You certainly could disconnect all drives first if wanted, but it shouldn't be necessary.
    right - thanks
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 99
    Windows 10
       #1323

    Does anyone know what happens with these two points?

    The installation media (ex: ISO or USB) must be the same edition and same or newer build as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then the repair install will fail.
    The installation media (ex: ISO or USB) must be the same base language (aka: system default language) as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then you will not keep anything.

    With regard to the first point... I've tried it with a 2004 iso on a 21h1 installation and it worked up until step 13, at which point I haven't tested beyond that. Does it give an error during or after the installation? Curious as to why this doesn't work or what kind of error it throws.
    On the second point... does it warn you at all that you won't keep any files? Or is the "keep all personal files and apps" option just missing if the language is different?

    I'm simply curious... if someone can test on their VM that would be great.
      My Computer

  5. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 59,912
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #1324

    yesir360 said:
    Does anyone know what happens with these two points?

    The installation media (ex: ISO or USB) must be the same edition and same or newer build as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then the repair install will fail.
    The installation media (ex: ISO or USB) must be the same base language (aka: system default language) as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then you will not keep anything.

    With regard to the first point... I've tried it with a 2004 iso on a 21h1 installation and it worked up until step 13, at which point I haven't tested beyond that. Does it give an error during or after the installation? Curious as to why this doesn't work or what kind of error it throws.
    On the second point... does it warn you at all that you won't keep any files? Or is the "keep all personal files and apps" option just missing if the language is different?

    I'm simply curious... if someone can test on their VM that would be great.
    Hello,

    You will find out at step 13 before the repair install actually starts. Step 13 is your last chance to cancel the repair install before starting.

    If the ISO is not the same or newer than currently installed, then there's a chance you may not be able to keep everything.
      My Computers

  6. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 21,820
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #1325

    yesir360 said:
    The installation media (ex: ISO or USB) must be the same base language (aka: system default language) as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then you will not keep anything.
    With regard to the first point... I've tried it with a 2004 iso on a 21h1 installation and it worked up until step 13, at which point I haven't tested beyond that. Does it give an error during or after the installation?

    Apparently not. I have successfully done a repair install upgrade on a 20H2 install with a 2004 ISO, keeping all installed apps and files. It appears to be possible because 2004, 20H2, 21H1 and 21H2 share a common set of system files. It is the major build number that must be the same or higher than that of your installed Windows, but in this respect 2004 to 21H2 seem to be regarded as all being the same major build.

    If you look at the details of the ISO for 21H2 you'll see that it's system files are still Version 10.0.19041, same as for 2004.

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade-image.png
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #1326

    Is it possible to do inplace upgrade of broken installation that won't boot? Maybe some manual way? Installing windows without setup is very simple(apply wim to partition and make boot files with few cmds). Is there anybody that knows what exactly is doing windows installer that is started using setup.exe before reboot?
      My Computer


  8. steve108's Avatar
    Posts : 16,238
    19041.1348 - 2004/20H1 Pro x64
       #1327

    damiano96 said:
    Is it possible to do inplace upgrade of broken installation that won't boot? Maybe some manual way? Installing windows without setup is very simple(apply wim to partition and make boot files with few cmds). Is there anybody that knows what exactly is doing windows installer that is started using setup.exe before reboot?
    Hello damiano96 and welcome to TF ,

    Unfortunately, as it says in the OP 1st bullet "You will only be able to do a repair install of Windows 10 from within Windows 10.".
    So you can't use this method if Windows won't boot

    Have you tried booting from a Windows installation USB and selecting the repair option?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 99
    Windows 10
       #1328

    Brink said:
    Hello,

    You will find out at step 13 before the repair install actually starts. Step 13 is your last chance to cancel the repair install before starting.

    If the ISO is not the same or newer than currently installed, then there's a chance you may not be able to keep everything.
    I'm just not sure what it says if the language is different...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Bree said:
    Apparently not. I have successfully done a repair install upgrade on a 20H2 install with a 2004 ISO, keeping all installed apps and files. It appears to be possible because 2004, 20H2, 21H1 and 21H2 share a common set of system files. It is the major build number that must be the same or higher than that of your installed Windows, but in this respect 2004 to 21H2 seem to be regarded as all being the same major build.

    If you look at the details of the ISO for 21H2 you'll see that it's system files are still Version 10.0.19041, same as for 2004.

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade-image.png
    That is interesting... I wonder if you're able to downgrade from something like 21H1 to 2004 this way. Most downgrade tutorials seem to suggest changing a value in registry, though I'm not sure if this would actually work.

    Just attempted a 1909 iso and it does let you, but when it asks to choose what files to keep you only get the option of "remove everything". The other two are greyed out. I suppose during incorrect language it'll be the same as well
      My Computer

  10. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 21,820
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #1329

    yesir360 said:
    That is interesting... I wonder if you're able to downgrade from something like 21H1 to 2004 this way. Most downgrade tutorials seem to suggest changing a value in registry, though I'm not sure if this would actually work.

    Yes, my in-place repair upgrade using a 2004 ISO on a 20H2 install returned it to 2004.

    Just attempted a 1909 iso and it does let you, but when it asks to choose what files to keep you only get the option of "remove everything". The other two are greyed out. I suppose during incorrect language it'll be the same as well

    That is because the 1909 system files are an earlier major build than those in 2004 or later (18362 vs 19041). You are attempting a downgrade, and that will only let you 'remove everything'.

    Versions 2004/20H2/21H1/21H2 share a common set of system files (19041), so an ISO for any one can be used with an install of any other and will allow keeping installed apps and files.

    Microsoft said:
    Windows 10, versions 2004 and 20H2 share a common core operating system with an identical set of system files.
    KB4562830 Enablement Package Feature Update to Windows 10 version 20H2
      My Computers


 

Tutorial Categories

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums