Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade  

  1. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 59,164
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #1290

    yesir360 said:
    Would disabling and then re-enabling secure boot not solve this problem? I'm not too familiar with secure boot.
    Possibly, but is best to temporarily disable Secure Boot before doing a repair install to be safe.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 16
    Win 10, build 18363.1734 (1909)
       #1291

    Where, and under what name, would I find the error log for an upgrade-in-place repair install? Was using an .iso to go from 1909 to 2009--received a 20017 error.

    Note that my setuperr.log and setupact.log have no entries in the last upgrade/update attempt's timeframe.

    Correction: there is a new \Panther under \Windows\Panther\NewOS -- sorry, should have guessed it would be a snipe hunt.
    Last edited by erandalln; 15 Aug 2021 at 16:41. Reason: correction
      My Computer

  3. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 55,106
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #1292

    erandalln said:
    Where, and under what name, would I find the error log for an upgrade-in-place repair install? Was using an .iso to go from 1909 to 2009--received a 20017 error.

    Note that my setuperr.log and setupact.log have no entries in the last upgrade/update attempt's timeframe.

    Correction: there is a new \Panther under \Windows\Panther\NewOS -- sorry, should have guessed it would be a snipe hunt.
    Glad to see you "sniped" it out.

    For future reference, MS Docs has a reference for all of it.

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...rade/log-files
    Last edited by f14tomcat; 17 Aug 2021 at 18:59.
      My Computers

  4. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,195
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1237
       #1293

    f14tomcat said:
    For future reference, MS Docs has deference for all of it.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...rade/log-files
    Yes, that's a very useful & detailed article. I find that this overview article helps me to be able to see the wood for the trees first
    Log files that are created when you upgrade to a new version of Windows - MSSupport

    I always thought that it was just us Brits who were plagued with excessive deference.

    Denis
      My Computer

  5. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 55,106
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #1294

    Try3 said:
    Yes, that's a very useful & detailed article. I find that this overview article helps me to be able to see the wood for the trees first
    Log files that are created when you upgrade to a new version of Windows - MSSupport

    I always thought that it was just us Brits who were plagued with excessive deference.

    Denis

    Sorry for the "deference". I must have made a typo and the never-fail spell check subs whatever it wants regardless of what I clicked! Sub R for D and all is well!
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 16
    Win 10, build 18363.1734 (1909)
       #1295

    f14tomcat said:
    Sorry for the "deference". I must have made a typo and the never-fail spell check subs whatever it wants regardless of what I clicked! Sub R for D and all is well!
    In right, proper deference to Denis, I should advise that "ou" is not a replacement for "o" in words like colour, honour, etc. regardless of how often I spell those words properly (except on this forum, which is rather nice to encounter once in while.
      My Computer

  7. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,195
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1237
       #1296

    erandalln said:
    ... I should advise that "ou" is not a replacement for "o" in words like colour, honour, etc ...
    I agree.
    - It was "o" that was introduced as a replacement for "ou" in Nineteenth Century US schools as part of a modernist drive to rationalize the language.
    - We never went through any equivalent process.

    All the best,
    Denis
      My Computer



  8. Posts : 30
    Windows 10 Pro Versoin 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1165)
       #1297

    I tried to cancel the in-place upgrade because a driver caused the whole thing to be stuck. It let me cancel the process but it got stuck again. It's just showing a loading screen that says "Please wait while setup is exiting" for some minutes now. The logs at C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther are not showing anything helpful. Is it safe to shutdown my computer?
      My Computer

  9. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 59,164
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #1298

    anion said:
    I tried to cancel the in-place upgrade because a driver caused the whole thing to be stuck. It let me cancel the process but it got stuck again. It's just showing a loading screen that says "Please wait while setup is exiting" for some minutes now. The logs at C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther are not showing anything helpful. Is it safe to shutdown my computer?
    I'd wait at least 30 minutes to see if it may eventually finish or show progress.

    Interrupting the process could lead to having to do a clean install of Windows 10.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 30
    Windows 10 Pro Versoin 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1165)
       #1299

    Brink said:
    I'd wait at least 30 minutes to see if it may eventually finish.

    Interrupting the process could lead to having to do a clean install of Windows 10.
    I actually turned off my computer right after I posted that comment lol. Nothing bad happened luckily.
      My Computer


 

Tutorial Categories

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums