Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade  


  1. bru
    Posts : 377
    Windows 10 Home
       #1010

    Brink said:
    Hello bru,
    It's a precaution to make sure that Windows is updated to only the same build and version currently installed. Otherwise, it may affect what you will be able to keep.
    You can always check for updates in Windows Update after the repair install has finished though.
    Thanks Brink. I am attempting the repair to fix a problem with WU. Would that change the selection?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 61,520
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #1011

    bru said:
    Thanks Brink. I am attempting the repair to fix a problem with WU. Would that change the selection?
    I'd still leave it unchecked.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 13,934
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #1012

    Can't do a repair install of 20H2 19042.610 using the ISO that MediaCreationTool20H2.exe downloads since it's 19042.572 and I've done a Windows Update to 19042.610.

    When I try I get this:

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade-image.png

    Is the 19042.610 ISO available from anywhere? If not then there is no way to do a Repair Install.

    Ah-ha! UUP Dump has it. Should be all set.

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade-image.png
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 39,958
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #1013

    There were TF threads reporting problems with 20H2 in place upgrade repairs.

    Please report your results
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 13,934
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #1014

    I saw the other thread about 20H2 Repair Install not working but I thought it was because the OP was using a different CU level. That's why I thought using UUP Dump to get the correct level would resolve the problem, but it didn't, same problem.

    The ISO I got from UUP Dump has the following attributes:

    Code:
    C:\Users\ztruk>dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:I:\sources\install.wim /index:1
    
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.19041.572
    
    Details for image : I:\sources\install.wim
    
    Index : 1
    Name : Windows 10 Pro
    Description : Windows 10 Pro
    Size : 18,067,796,602 bytes
    WIM Bootable : No
    Architecture : x64
    Hal : <undefined>
    Version : 10.0.19042
    ServicePack Build : 610
    ServicePack Level : 0
    Edition : Professional
    Installation : Client
    ProductType : WinNT
    ProductSuite : Terminal Server
    System Root : WINDOWS
    Directories : 25912
    Files : 107271
    Created : 11/7/2020 - 3:14:57 PM
    Modified : 11/7/2020 - 3:22:33 PM
    Languages :
            en-US (Default)
    That matches what is currently installed on my system:

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade-image.png

    So Repair Install is broken in 20H2, period.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 21,424
    19044.1586 - 21H2 Pro x64
       #1015

    Ztruker said:
    I saw the other thread about 20H2 Repair Install not working but I thought it was because the OP was using a different CU level. That's why I thought using UUP Dump to get the correct level would resolve the problem, but it didn't, same problem.

    The ISO I got from UUP Dump has the following attributes:

    Code:
    C:\Users\ztruk>dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:I:\sources\install.wim /index:1
    
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.19041.572
    
    Details for image : I:\sources\install.wim
    
    Index : 1
    Name : Windows 10 Pro
    Description : Windows 10 Pro
    Size : 18,067,796,602 bytes
    WIM Bootable : No
    Architecture : x64
    Hal : <undefined>
    Version : 10.0.19042
    ServicePack Build : 610
    ServicePack Level : 0
    Edition : Professional
    Installation : Client
    ProductType : WinNT
    ProductSuite : Terminal Server
    System Root : WINDOWS
    Directories : 25912
    Files : 107271
    Created : 11/7/2020 - 3:14:57 PM
    Modified : 11/7/2020 - 3:22:33 PM
    Languages :
            en-US (Default)
    That matches what is currently installed on my system:

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade-image.png

    So Repair Install is broken in 20H2, period.
    Repair install works if you do the registry modification if using 20H2 - you know about that mod?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 24,582
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #1016

    Ztruker said:
    ... I thought using UUP Dump to get the correct level would resolve the problem, but it didn't, same problem....

    ....So Repair Install is broken in 20H2, period.

    What is broken is that attempting a repair install with 20H2 media incorrectly determines that you are attempting to perform a downgrade. You can never keep files and apps when downgrading (eg. from 2004 to 1903).

    Where this mistake arises is in the registry of the installed 20H2 OS. Changing a couple of values in the registry corrects this and allows an in-place repair to keep files and apps.

    Bree said:
    ...I am happy to confirm that using the same 20H2 ISO as I tested before (and would only keep 'nothing'), I can now keep personal files and apps.

    Known and Resolved issues for Windows 10 version 20H2 - post #159
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 13,934
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #1017

    When I look at permission for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EditionVersion, it's set to ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES, not TrustedInstaller, so should I restore it to ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES as it is or TrustedInstaller?

    Wrong, it was TrustedInstaller.

    Wolfymbassador said in his next post after your @Bree that ownership changed back to TrustedInstaller after the Repair Install so I'm going to go ahead and leave it as Administrators and see what happens.

    Thank you @steve108 and @Bree. I'll report back when done.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 24,582
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #1018

    Ztruker said:
    Wolfymbassador said in his next post after your @Bree that ownership changed back to TrustedInstaller after the Repair Install so I'm going to go ahead and leave it as Administrators and see what happens...
    Yes, in a subsequent post OldNayGuy also confirmed that the repair install returns ownership to TrustedInstaller.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 13,934
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #1019

    Repair Install went great, pretty much everything kept. I noticed a few Context Menu items missing so far, like Safe Mode.

    Now to see if it fixed my Powershell problem.

    Edit: It didn't.

    This is a reg file to make the changes referenced in @Brees post #1016. You have to make the Permission/Ownership change before running it.
    I've found several Powershell scripts that will do it but they are too complicated for me to post right now. Once I get that figured out this can be rolled up into a batch file that will do it all in one pass.

    Allow_20H2_Repair_Install_Keep_Everything.reg
    Last edited by Ztruker; 07 Nov 2020 at 22:51.
      My Computers


 

Tutorial Categories

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums