How to Backup and Restore Everything in Microsoft Edge in Windows  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

  1. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro
       #20

    Small Issue


    Thank you for the information, I followed the process by backing up the profile, the registry and restored everything accordingly but while the profile has the configurations and everything, the extensions do not show up, it says no extensions installed when I know they are and do show up in the extensions folder.
    Do you know what would cause this and how to repair this issue? Installing and reconfiguring all the extensions on transfer is just a real hassle. TIA.
      My Computer

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 58,374
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #21

    On10 said:
    Thank you for the information, I followed the process by backing up the profile, the registry and restored everything accordingly but while the profile has the configurations and everything, the extensions do not show up, it says no extensions installed when I know they are and do show up in the extensions folder.
    Do you know what would cause this and how to repair this issue? Installing and reconfiguring all the extensions on transfer is just a real hassle. TIA.
    Hello On10, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Hmm, it appears some extensions may need to be reinstalled if they were not installed to the Edge folder.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro
       #22

    Brink said:
    Hello On10, and welcome to Ten Forums.
    Thank you, I have been a longtime fan or lurker if you will and have often referred to the site for guidance. I just never had an occasion to need to ask a question but finally it came the day to create the account. Appreciate the welcome.

    Hmm, it appears some extensions may need to be reinstalled if they were not installed to the Edge folder.
    What is interesting is that it is ALL the extensions, and they are not like a huge number, let's see uBlock, RoboForm, LastPass, TemperMonkey and RES. It is just some of these have a lot of settings/config/moving parts that while I can probably spend time to export and then import to the new machine, just have had to do it so many times over the years, was hoping once for a quick solution.

    I guess the one time I choose the lazy approach it bites I even tried for good measure to remove the Edge directory on the other machine, remove the entire registry key for it and replace them with the full directory and registry key (not just that specific one) and still the same behavior, it loads up, favorites are there, settings are all there, just no extensions, all empty. Go to the directory and check they are all there (I can verify using their hash). I thought maybe I had borked it somehow and a "doh you are an idiot" fix would solve it but I can't think of how or where.

    Thank you though, now that I know it is what it is an I can't do anything to fix it easy, will resort to installing and configuring them. Appreciate you taking a look.
      My Computer

  4. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 58,374
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #23

    On10 said:
    What is interesting is that it is ALL the extensions, and they are not like a huge number, let's see uBlock, RoboForm, LastPass, TemperMonkey and RES. It is just some of these have a lot of settings/config/moving parts that while I can probably spend time to export and then import to the new machine, just have had to do it so many times over the years, was hoping once for a quick solution.

    I guess the one time I choose the lazy approach it bites I even tried for good measure to remove the Edge directory on the other machine, remove the entire registry key for it and replace them with the full directory and registry key (not just that specific one) and still the same behavior, it loads up, favorites are there, settings are all there, just no extensions, all empty. Go to the directory and check they are all there (I can verify using their hash). I thought maybe I had borked it somehow and a "doh you are an idiot" fix would solve it but I can't think of how or where.

    Thank you though, now that I know it is what it is an I can't do anything to fix it easy, will resort to installing and configuring them. Appreciate you taking a look.
    I added a "not all" note to extensions at the top of the tutorial for now.

    It appears it may depend on where the extensions installed themselves. If in the Edge folder, they'll be included. If not, then they will not be included.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro
       #24

    Brink said:
    I added a "not all" note to extensions at the top of the tutorial for now.
    It appears it may depend on where the extensions installed themselves. If in the Edge folder, they'll be included. If not, then they will not be included.
    Just a point of clarification because I don't want it to mislead anyone. The extensions are in the /Edge/Default/Extensions folder which is within the directory being backed up; but after you run it and it doesn't show up, it will delete them all when the browser is closed.

    I am attaching this to see if it will help with context: (before when first loading it all there / after when run and doesn't show them all deleted on close)
    How to Backup and Restore Everything in Microsoft Edge in Windows-annotation-2021-02-03-164742.png
      My Computer

  6. Telos's Avatar
    Posts : 64
    Win10 x64
       #25

    Thanks for this thread. Twice in the past month I have rebooted and opened up Edge to discover it wants to act like a new install. There seems to be no way to avoid this, apart from closing the app. After it "fixes" things all my shortcuts and settings are empty/default.

    Any idea what causes this? Very frustrating. I may revert again to Chrome.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 11
    windows 10
       #26

    Hi thanks alot for guide, Is it possible to back up the bookmark (favorite) with this method or need to export them from browser?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro
       #27

    hamid3pnn said:
    Hi thanks alot for guide, Is it possible to back up the bookmark (favorite) with this method or need to export them from browser?
    I may be wrong but since it is located in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks and that is part of the profile path, I would assume it will be included, yes.
      My Computer

  9. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 13,601
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1110
       #28

    The Edge (Chromium) Bookmarks file looks like this in a text editor:

    Code:
    "checksum": "265ffaa63092f58629085d04fc56bdb9",
       "roots": {
          "bookmark_bar": {
             "children": [ {
                "children": [ {
                   "date_added": "13252112417000000",
                   "guid": "9d764f72-101c-4af5-b66b-65c36d9ee0c7",
                   "id": "4637",
                   "name": "Astronomy Picture of the Day",
                   "show_icon": false,
                   "source": "import_fre",
                   "type": "url",
                   "url": "http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html"
                }, {
                   "date_added": "13252112417000000",
                   "guid": "7dac7011-8a9f-45de-8f02-36a2aa366f37",
                   "id": "4638",
                   "name": "Astronomy Picture of the Day Archive",
                   "show_icon": false,
                   "source": "import_fre",
                   "type": "url",
                   "url": "http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html"
                }, {
                   "date_added": "12732150781000000",
                   "guid": "d8ef054d-b68d-4db2-abf0-2ffb2f306407",
                   "id": "4639",
                   "name": "Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Map",
                   "show_icon": false,
                   "source": "import_fre",
                   "type": "url",
                   "url": "http://www.robsv.com/cape/map.html"
                }, {
                   "date_added": "12732151083000000",
                   "guid": "af3e26c1-9555-4cba-9c05-ccb3b0d4508a",
                   "id": "4640",
                   "name": "Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Virtual Tour",
                   "show_icon": false,
                   "source": "import_fre",
                   "type": "url",
                   "url": "http://www.robsv.com/cape/"
                }, {
                   "date_added": "13252112417000000",
                   "guid": "b8ac723d-aeb8-4a7c-b84a-f69ce66b6bb2",
                   "id": "4641",
                   "name": "ESA SCIENCE: Home page",
                   "show_icon": false,
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro
       #29

    Ztruker said:
    The Edge (Chromium) Bookmarks file looks like this in a text editor:
    Yeah it's just a Json file with a bunch of nested nodes.
      My Computer


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tutorial Categories

How to Backup and Restore Everything in Microsoft Edge in Windows Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums