Add or Remove Command Prompt Open Here Context Menu in Windows 10  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

  1. Posts : 16
    Windows 10
       #20

    Everything working perfect to me, I appreciate each initiative,
    Happy Holiday!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 61,918
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #21

    flino89 said:
    Everything working perfect to me, I appreciate each initiative,
    Happy Holiday!
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       #22

    I was able to figure out what the problem was. As I was looking at the registry file I noticed the powershell command was called without a location.

    It was the environment variable PATH in the system settings. It did not have the powershell directory. I added the proper directory in both the User and System path and now it works.

    Hope this helps to those who have the same problem.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 61,918
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #23

    John09 said:
    I was able to figure out what the problem was. As I was looking at the registry file I noticed the powershell command was called without a location.

    It was the environment variable PATH in the system settings. It did not have the powershell directory. I added the proper directory in both the User and System path and now it works.

    Hope this helps to those who have the same problem.
    Thank you for sharing your findings and solution.

      My Computers


  5. Posts : 463
    Win7 Pro X64, Win10 Pro x640
       #24

    Good morning @Brink

    In the add command prompt to right-click context menu, I have the entry showing up in the following keys.
    HKCR\Directory
    HKCR\Directory\Background
    HKCR\Drive
    HKCR\Library Folder Background
    Problem is that the command prompt (or powershell window for that matter) does not always show up when right clicking the main library, individual libraries in libraries (is that because libraries are virtual folders and central links for multiple locations?)

    Anyway, how would I modify the Directory\Background and Library Background keys so that the context menu DOES NOT show up when right clicking Main Library, Specific Library (Documents, etc.) in the Navigation Pane and Main Library background in the folder (all show in Red in the attached figure) but DOES show up when right clicking the background WITHIN the specific library (shown in blue in attached figure) where the shell opens up properly?

    Does this make sense?

    I am pretty sure that the registry entries will need some sort of AppliesTo string, possibly with a NOT in its value. How would I format such a string/value?

    Thanks!

    Add or Remove Command Prompt Open Here Context Menu in Windows 10-right-click.png
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 61,918
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #25

    bamajon1974 said:
    Good morning @Brink

    In the add command prompt to right-click context menu, I have the entry showing up in the following keys.
    HKCR\Directory
    HKCR\Directory\Background
    HKCR\Drive
    HKCR\Library Folder Background
    Problem is that the command prompt (or powershell window for that matter) does not always show up when right clicking the main library, individual libraries in libraries (is that because libraries are virtual folders and central links for multiple locations?)

    Anyway, how would I modify the Directory\Background and Library Background keys so that the context menu DOES NOT show up when right clicking Main Library, Specific Library (Documents, etc.) in the Navigation Pane and Main Library background in the folder (all show in Red in the attached figure) but DOES show up when right clicking the background WITHIN the specific library (shown in blue in attached figure) where the shell opens up properly?

    Does this make sense?

    I am pretty sure that the registry entries will need some sort of AppliesTo string, possibly with a NOT in its value. How would I format such a string/value?

    Thanks!
    Thank you for letting me know.

    The context menu indeed doesn't work when you right click directly on Libraries or a library. Only on the background of a library.

    I'll have to do some testing to see if I can exclude the context menu from showing for those and still have it work for the background of a library.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 463
    Win7 Pro X64, Win10 Pro x640
       #26

    Brink said:
    Thank you for letting me know.

    The context menu indeed doesn't work when you right click directly on Libraries or a library. Only on the background of a library.

    I'll have to do some testing to see if I can exclude the context menu from showing for those and still have it work for the background of a library.
    Correct, the command prompt does NOT open in the background of the main library folder but DOES open in the background of the individual, specific library folders.

    I am basing my assumption off of your Take Ownership tutorials where you use the AppliesTo string and NOT in the value to exclude certain directories and drives. I am guessing that the same reasoning could be applied here?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 61,918
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #27

    bamajon1974 said:
    Correct, the command prompt does NOT open in the background of the main library folder but DOES open in the background of the individual, specific library folders.

    I am basing my assumption off of your Take Ownership tutorials where you use the AppliesTo string and NOT in the value to exclude certain directories and drives. I am guessing that the same reasoning could be applied here?
    I'm hoping so, but I'm not sure yet if it will work for Libraries and library folders. I'll have to do some testing later to see.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 463
    Win7 Pro X64, Win10 Pro x640
       #28

    Brink said:
    I'm hoping so, but I'm not sure yet if it will work for Libraries and library folders. I'll have to do some testing later to see.
    Sounds good. Please keep me posted. FYI, the corresponding Powershell context menu entries would need to be changed as well.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 61,918
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #29

    bamajon1974 said:
    Sounds good. Please keep me posted. FYI, the corresponding Powershell context menu entries would need to be changed as well.
    Ok. The .reg files have been updated to no longer have the context menu show when you right click on Libraries or a library folder, but will still show when you right click on the background of an open library.
      My Computers


 

Tutorial Categories

Add or Remove Command Prompt Open Here Context Menu in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums