How to Install and Use TeamViewer  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 13,950
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
    Thread Starter
       #10

    cereberus said:
    I think it would be useful to add a couple of sections:

    TeamViewer security - if you choose to use a Teamviewer Account, it is recommended you use a strong password and two factor account authentication (some years ago, some users got hacked due to weak passwords and no 2FA.

    Also a section on unattended access (security above is important especially here).

    unattended access.

    I strongly recommend a section on the security as people need to understand risks of tools like Teamviewer - it is very secure if used properly.
    I'll think on a security section. The password is not that easy to guess for a person as it's nnccnncc but fairly simple for a computer I guess.
    n=numbers, c=characters. I've assigned my own but TeamViewer still shows it's generated password and that also works along with the one I've assigned.
    Edit: Ah, I see you can select Disabled (No random password) for Password strength. I'll definitely add that if I do the security section.

    I really don't want to get into Unattended access. That's not what the tutorial is for. It's to setup a simple connection between two computers so one user can help another and send some files either way if needed.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 13,950
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
    Thread Starter
       #11

    sygnus21 said:
    I'm assuming both sides need TeamViewer and both sides need to be logged in?

    Also there was a limit of something of that imposed by Microsoft for use. Some were reporting they were closed or locked out for "unauthorized" use?

    Thanks.
    The concept of logged in doesn't apply here. Just do as the tutorial says and you'll be in good shape.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 13,682
    Windows10
       #12

    Ztruker said:
    I'll think on a security section. The password is not that easy to guess for a person as it's nnccnncc but fairly simple for a computer I guess.
    n=numbers, c=characters. I've assigned my own but TeamViewer still shows it's generated password and that also works along with the one I've assigned.
    Edit: Ah, I see you can select Disabled (No random password) for Password strength. I'll definitely add that if I do the security section.

    I really don't want to get into Unattended access. That's not what the tutorial is for. It's to setup a simple connection between two computers so one user can help another and send some files either way if needed.
    Unattended access is useful as it just means remote user just needs to switch pc on for you to maintain it. Great when remote user is less than "ept" than normal when it comes to using pcs.

    Security should definitely be mentioned regardless as you say as users may start using it and then play with options not realising they could be compromising pc.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,098
    Windows 10 Pro (+ Windows 10 Home VMs for testing)
       #13

    sygnus21 said:
    I'm assuming both sides need TeamViewer and both sides need to be logged in?
    Yes and no.

    Both client and host devices need TeamViewer.

    Both client and host devices need to be logged into Windows using the default configuration. However, within Options there is a setting to allow connection in the system context, i.e. before login.

    This can be used to allow the client device to restart the host device and log back into Windows without anyone being present at the remote host. It works really well and I use this regularly with my family's devices so they don't have to be present all the time. Note that this means TeamViewer must be running as a service (i.e. start automatically) rather than be started as an app.

    cereberus said:
    Unattended access is useful as it just means remote user just needs to switch pc on
    Apparently TeamViewer/WOL can start powered off/sleeping devices but I haven't used it.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 13,950
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
    Thread Starter
       #14

    As the tutorial says:

    The other person, your partner (one you are helping) also has to install and start TeamViewer.



    If the partner can setup unattended mode they can certainly handle starting TeamViewer and providing the Partner ID and Password.

    I can setup a separate tutorial for unattended mode and link to it from here. That's what I will do with security (Shawn's suggestion and I agree).

    Security tutorial is available: How to make TeamViewer more secure. It contains a section on unattended use.
    Last edited by Ztruker; 11 Jun 2020 at 23:06.
      My Computers


 

Tutorial Categories

How to Install and Use TeamViewer Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums