How to Install PowerShell 7.0 in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 4
    Windows (various)
       #10

    Brink said:
    Hello wigit, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    You would basically just have to run PS 7 instead of PS.

    If you are familiar with changing values in the registry, you could change the values in the command keys to use the PS 7 executable path instead of powershell.exe for the context menus like below.

    Open PowerShell window here context menu - Add in Windows 10

    Add Open PowerShell window here as administrator in Windows 10

    Next, you could add a PS 7 shortcut to the Win+X menu like below.

    Add Custom Shortcuts to Win+X Quick Link Menu in Windows 10
    Cool, thanks 🙂
      My Computer

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 49,746
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 20161
    Thread Starter
       #11

    wigit said:
    Cool, thanks 
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 212
    Win7 Pro X64, Win10 Pro x640
       #12

    Hi Brink

    Is it necessary to run PowerShell ISE and the older PowerShell included with Windows 10 if I am running Powershell v7? If not, should I uninstall? Through the Windows Optional components turn on/off dialog box, correct? Or can you update the existing windows Powershell so you don't have 2 different versions installed concurrently?
    Thanks!
      My Computer

  4. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 49,746
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 20161
    Thread Starter
       #13

    bamajon1974 said:
    Hi Brink

    Is it necessary to run PowerShell ISE and the older PowerShell included with Windows 10 if I am running Powershell v7? If not, should I uninstall? Through the Windows Optional components turn on/off dialog box, correct? Or can you update the existing windows Powershell so you don't have 2 different versions installed concurrently?
    Thanks!
    Hello mate,

    Currently, these are separate apps and installations.

    I would not recommend to uninstall the default built-in PowerShell ISE and older PowerShell apps though.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 212
    Win7 Pro X64, Win10 Pro x640
       #14

    Got it. Is there any reason to keep the old versions? Other than to avoid unintentionally breaking windows?
      My Computer

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 49,746
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 20161
    Thread Starter
       #15

    bamajon1974 said:
    Got it. Is there any reason to keep the old versions? Other than to avoid unintentionally breaking windows?
    No other reason other than not to potentially break Windows.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 212
    Win7 Pro X64, Win10 Pro x640
       #16

    That makes sense. I can leave the old Powershell programs installed. I would like to remove context menu entries for the old Powershell. The only one I need to remove is To Add Shift + Right Click "Open PowerShell window here" Context Menu, Extended, correct? The v7 Powershell installs its own right-click menu entries, right?
    Thanks!
      My Computer


  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 49,746
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 20161
    Thread Starter
       #17

    bamajon1974 said:
    That makes sense. I can leave the old Powershell programs installed. I would like to remove context menu entries for the old Powershell. The only one I need to remove is To Add Shift + Right Click "Open PowerShell window here" Context Menu, Extended, correct? The v7 Powershell installs its own right-click menu entries, right?
    Thanks!
    You could use the method in the tutorial below to remove the PowerShell context menu.

    However, once you could do the steps to change the owner and permissions of the "Command" keys, then change its "(Default)" value to replace the powershell.exe part of the command to the full path of the PowerShell 7 executable file instead. This way it will use PowerShell 7.

    Open PowerShell window here context menu - Add in Windows 10
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 212
    Win7 Pro X64, Win10 Pro x640
       #18

    So you rather than delete the existing key, change the path to the new version of Powershell?
      My Computer

  10. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 49,746
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 20161
    Thread Starter
       #19

    bamajon1974 said:
    So you rather than delete the existing key, change the path to the new version of Powershell?
    Correct, if wanting it to open PowerShell 7 instead.

    If you like though, you can go ahead and just delete it for now. I'm going to create a new tutorial hopefully today to add a "Open with PowerShell 7" context menu using a different context menu so people can still have both if wanted. I'll post back with a link to this new tutorial when it's finished.
      My Computers


 

Tutorial Categories

How to Install PowerShell 7.0 in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:56.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums