Windows Subsystem for Linux - Add desktop experience to Ubuntu  

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Golden's Avatar
    Posts : 1,645
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #30

    Kari said:
    @Colin, this is most probably just an old school geek being too cautious, but I suggest to run all PS / Command Prompt commands elevated, even though they might work in normal user mode.

    Kari
    Will do
      My Computers

  2. Golden's Avatar
    Posts : 1,645
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #31

    @Kari:

    4. Completed update && upgrade succesfully.
    5. Open PS as adminstrator to run wsl --list --verbose..............no luck The wsl command is not recognised

    Windows Subsystem for Linux - Add desktop experience to Ubuntu-capture.png
      My Computers

  3. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,529
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #32

    Golden said:
    Open PS as adminstrator to run wsl --list --verbose..............no luck The wsl command is not recognised.
    I cannot understand that. I need to do a completely, fresh clean install, and test everything. I will post back.

    Kari
      My Computer

  4. Golden's Avatar
    Posts : 1,645
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #33

    Kari said:
    I cannot understand that. I need to do a completely, fresh clean install, and test everything. I will post back.

    Kari
    No rush.

    Ques: is there a difference between PowerShell and Powershell ISE? I've been using the former.
      My Computers

  5. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,529
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #34

    Golden said:
    Ques: is there a difference between PowerShell and Powershell ISE? I've been using the former.
    There are a few commands which do not work as expected in PS ISE, which will work in normal PS. Never the other way around, all commands and cmdlets working in PS ISE also work in PS. If you are using normal PS, that's not your issue.

    One question: can you find command wsl.exe in C:\Windows\System32 folder?
    Windows Subsystem for Linux - Add desktop experience to Ubuntu-image.png

    Kari
      My Computer

  6. lx07's Avatar
    Posts : 5,479
    2004
       #35

    @Golden - did you enable "Virtual Machine Platform" as well as "Windows Subsystem for Linux"? I'm running it OK on slow ring...
      My Computer

  7. Golden's Avatar
    Posts : 1,645
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #36

    lx07 said:
    @Golden - did you enable "Virtual Machine Platform" as well as "Windows Subsystem for Linux"? I'm running it OK on slow ring...
    Yes - both were enabled. note : this is not an Insider version of Windows 10.
      My Computers

  8. Golden's Avatar
    Posts : 1,645
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #37

    Kari said:
    One question: can you find command wsl.exe in C:\Windows\System32 folder?
    Kari
    Yes - wsl.exe is present.
    Windows Subsystem for Linux - Add desktop experience to Ubuntu-capture.png
      My Computers

  9. lx07's Avatar
    Posts : 5,479
    2004
       #38

    Golden said:
    Yes - both were enabled. note : this is not an Insider version of Windows 10.
    wsl2 needs >= 18917 so at minimum slow ring which is 19041. The non-insider 1909 (November update) is only 18363.

    I went to slow ring explicitly for wsl2 as it will (probably) be 20H1.
      My Computer

  10. Golden's Avatar
    Posts : 1,645
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #39

    lx07 said:
    wsl2 needs >= 18917 so at minimum slow ring which is 19041. The non-insider 1909 (November update) is only 18363.

    I went to slow ring explicitly for wsl2 as it will (probably) be 20H1.
    Ah...that would make sense since I am Windows 10 Pro 1909 Build 18363.628.

    So, if that is the case then the tutorial is only applicable to Insider builds for now?
      My Computers


 
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Windows Subsystem for Linux - Add desktop experience to Ubuntu Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums