Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition  

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

  1. Posts : 8
    Windows 10
       #190

    Hello,
    I'm currently trying to use this guide to create a custom recovery image of a windows 10 installed into an external hdd ( I want to create the recovery image in the same external hdd ), however I encounter an issue in step 1.6.
    When I type list vol, all the partitions of both the internal hdd and external hdd appear:

    Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition-partitions.jpg

    1) Partitions of the internal hdd.
    2) Partitions of the external hdd.
    3) Usb drive with windows install media.

    As you can see , the partion 7 of the external hdd (partion in which the windows 10 I want to create an image of is installed) does not have a letter.
    What can I do to solve this problem?
    Last edited by jacktell; 30 Dec 2020 at 06:21.
      My Computer

  2. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,506
    Windows 10 Pro
       #191

    In diskpart:
    select vol 7
    assign
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 8
    Windows 10
       #192

    NavyLCDR said:
    In diskpart:
    select vol 7
    assign
    Thanks again It worked perfectly, just like your previous suggestion.

    So I've finally managed to create a custom recovery partition that I see every time the computer boots from the external hdd, as explained in this tutorial, however I do have a doubt that I want to clarify before testing It: when I use this recovery partition is It just going to restore the captured image of windows in a partition of my choice or Is It also going to delete the other existing partitions while creating new ones, like in a normal fresh install?
      My Computer

  4. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,506
    Windows 10 Pro
       #193

    I've never created a recovery partition using this method, but it appears as if it would work just like a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive. If you boot from the recovery partition it should give you all the options the same as booting from a USB flash drive - clean install to an empty drive or partition or custom install to a partition and windows.old gets created.

    Run setup.exe from the partition from inside the running Windows 10 and you could perform the in-place upgrade which will keep all your apps and data files where they are. However, as soon as you upgrade your existing Windows 10 to the next major version release, this will no longer be an option unless you update your recovery partition.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 8
    Windows 10
       #194

    NavyLCDR said:
    I've never created a recovery partition using this method, but it appears as if it would work just like a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive. If you boot from the recovery partition it should give you all the options the same as booting from a USB flash drive - clean install to an empty drive or partition or custom install to a partition and windows.old gets created.

    Run setup.exe from the partition from inside the running Windows 10 and you could perform the in-place upgrade which will keep all your apps and data files where they are. However, as soon as you upgrade your existing Windows 10 to the next major version release, this will no longer be an option unless you update your recovery partition.
    Perfect; thanks for your crystal clear explanation and, since is New Year's Eve, best wishes of happy new year.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 16
    windows 10
       #195

    Kari, thanks for the wonderful tutorial.

    I follow the procedure, but I got an error on restoring the image. "windows setup: Windows could not display the image for installation".
    1. Is there is a log that I can check the failed reason?
    2. a possible mis-match ?

    1) on the install.wim from the ISO image, it contains many different Windows 10. When I use the command
    dism /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:....
    I got 10 images, such as Windows 10 Pro Education, Windows 10 Pro Education N, ....
    2). on the wim that I got from dism /capture-image ..., I only have one image.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       #196

    This is a great guide - however I noticed that after using the recovery partition to restore my system - the option at startup disappeared. Is there a way to set it so that it doesnt disappear after use?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       #197

    Access Denied


    I've read all the posts and can't find my particular problem anywhere. I'm stuck at step 1.9. Every time I run the command I get "Access Denied". I am Administrator on my PC.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       #198

    NilsTheRed said:
    I've read all the posts and can't find my particular problem anywhere. I'm stuck at step 1.9. Every time I run the command I get "Access Denied". I am Administrator on my PC.
    You need to run the command prompt as administrator (right click and hit Run As Administrator) and then execute the batch file.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       #199

    garzasp said:
    You need to run the command prompt as administrator (right click and hit Run As Administrator) and then execute the batch file.
    I think you're misunderstanding. I'm no where near that step yet. I'm getting access denied when I try to run the command to create the recovery image...
      My Computer


 
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Tutorial Categories

Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:33.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums