No sound from TV with HDMI cable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 36
    Microsoft Windows 10 Education 64 bits
       #1

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable


    Hello everyone,

    I've built a desktop recently and everything is working properly until I connect it to my TV. Basically, I have no sound, even though the TV is properly detected by Windows. I have no problems whatsoever when my desktop is connected to my Lenovo high refresh monitor. So, below is how the volume shows up.

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021-04-24_13-20.png

    I've tried multiple things with no success:

    • Updated my graphics drivers
    • Tried different HDMI ports (from motherboard and gpu)
    • Tried with HDMI cable from TV
    • Tried with HDMI that came with my monitor
    • Tried Windows troubleshooting
    • Tried updating Realtek drivers directly on Device Manager (Windows said I already had the latest drivers)


    Below you have an image that the TV is correctly detected and selected:

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021-04-24_13-18.png

    On Device Manager everything looks okay:

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021-04-24_13-19.png

    When I tried to see/edit the TV's sound properties basically I have nothing to change, and it says: "that the device was removed" and "no audio device is installed":

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021-04-24_13-14.pngNo sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021-04-24_13-17.png

    On "speakers configuration" on the image below it says "Unknown", which is weird:

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021-04-24_13-20_1.png

    Windows troubleshooting fails with two errors: "Volume is too low" and "audio services are not responding"

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021-04-24_13-22.png

    I have no more ideas, so I appreciate all the help you can give me.

    Thank you in advance
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,156
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v21H2
       #2

    I connected my laptop to my 12-year old Samsung TV with an HDMI cable. At first the sound was still on my PC. I am not sure why but after plugging/unlugging a few from my PC the sound just started to come out of my TV.

    Here is the audio device in the Device Manager
    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021_04_25_06_20_412.jpg

    Here is the playback device for the TV
    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021_04_25_06_21_214.jpg

    If I click on the little speaker on the task bar
    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021_04_25_06_20_141.jpg

    You said you tried updating the audio driver but it was up to date.
    However, it is possible the existing audio driver is corrupt.

    Instead get the latest audio driver from your motherboard support site.
    Install this driver and overwrite the existing audio driver.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 36
    Microsoft Windows 10 Education 64 bits
    Thread Starter
       #3

    MisterEd said:
    I connected my laptop to my 12-year old Samsung TV with an HDMI cable. At first the sound was still on my PC. I am not sure why but after plugging/unlugging a few from my PC the sound just started to come out of my TV.

    Here is the audio device in the Device Manager
    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021_04_25_06_20_412.jpg

    Here is the playback device for the TV
    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021_04_25_06_21_214.jpg

    If I click on the little speaker on the task bar
    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2021_04_25_06_20_141.jpg

    You said you tried updating the audio driver but it was up to date.
    However, it is possible the existing audio driver is corrupt.

    Instead get the latest audio driver from your motherboard support site.
    Install this driver and overwrite the existing audio driver.
    Thank you for your reply.

    I tried your suggestion, I even went to the point of uninstalling all the audio drivers from the Device Manager and then installed the Realtek driver from my motherboard manufacturer, but sadly, nothing really changed.

    When looking at your printscreens, it is interesting to note, that the name SAMSUNG shows up on the Device Manager, but in my case doesn't. And I can't set a playback device because there are no speakers on my desktop, it should detect the TV, but it doesn't.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,156
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v21H2
       #4

    tsilva said:
    Thank you for your reply.

    I tried your suggestion, I even went to the point of uninstalling all the audio drivers from the Device Manager and then installed the Realtek driver from my motherboard manufacturer, but sadly, nothing really changed.

    When looking at your printscreens, it is interesting to note, that the name SAMSUNG shows up on the Device Manager, but in my case doesn't. And I can't set a playback device because there are no speakers on my desktop, it should detect the TV, but it doesn't.
    Looking at this again I realized my error. The Realtek driver is for the audio output from the motherboard to headphones or speakers. This works fine.

    The audio output device when my TV or monitor is connected is the "AMD High Definition Audio Device". The driver for this probably comes from the AMD Radeon drivers. Have you tried reinstalling the AMD Radeon drivers?

    I used an HDMI cable to hook my Asus VE228H (21.5-inch, 1080p) monitor. It has a built-in speaker.
    It worked fine with the video and audio going to it.

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-1.-dm.jpg

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2.-sound-playback.jpg

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-3.-playbackdevice.jpg
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 36
    Microsoft Windows 10 Education 64 bits
    Thread Starter
       #5

    MisterEd said:
    Looking at this again I realized my error. The Realtek driver is for the audio output from the motherboard to headphones or speakers. This works fine.

    The audio output device when my TV or monitor is connected is the "AMD High Definition Audio Device". The driver for this probably comes from the AMD Radeon drivers. Have you tried reinstalling the AMD Radeon drivers?

    I used an HDMI cable to hook my Asus VE228H (21.5-inch, 1080p) monitor. It has a built-in speaker.
    It worked fine with the video and audio going to it.

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-1.-dm.jpg

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-2.-sound-playback.jpg

    No sound from TV with HDMI cable-3.-playbackdevice.jpg
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. Life with kids it is like that. 🤷

    Probably it is a dumb question, how do you (clean) reinstall the AMD drivers?

    It seems hard to be honest.

    This is my first AMD system, so I'm not sure because the drivers are installed through the Adreline software. When I had Nvidia I would go to the Control Panel (or use DDU) to uninstall the drivers and then download the drivers directly from the Nvidia website and I could choose simply to install the drivers. This driver installation for AMD feels stupid (and bloated) compared to Nvidia.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 346
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 36
    Microsoft Windows 10 Education 64 bits
    Thread Starter
       #7


    Thank you for the suggestion. I've tried that program and nothing changed. The pc still doesn't recognize the audio :/
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 958
    Windows 10
       #8

    Try to plug your HDMI cable into a different HDMI port on your TV.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 36
    Microsoft Windows 10 Education 64 bits
    Thread Starter
       #9

    sandyt said:
    Try to plug your HDMI cable into a different HDMI port on your TV.
    Sadly, my tv only has two HDMI ports and one of them is actually not working, so, I only have one port to use HDMI.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 958
    Windows 10
       #10

    tsilva said:
    Sadly, my tv only has two HDMI ports and one of them is actually not working, so, I only have one port to use HDMI.
    Then it's more likely that there is a problem with the tv itself, not on the computer's end.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:09.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums