Force HDMI to carry 5.1 Dolby or whatever  

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 9
    win 10 pro
       #41

    I had this problem ..don't know If anyone suggested this.. but this fixed it for me..
    control panel /
    sound/playback (click on the sound option your using)
    properties/advanced/..
    now uncheck allow applications to take exclusive control of this device..
    click apply /ok ..
    and thats it .. worked for me.....
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 9
    windows 10
       #42

    hi guys i was just wondering would this work with a AMD GPU as well i have seen NVIDIA and Intel but no mention of AMD?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,257
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
    Thread Starter
       #43

    cybes said:
    hi guys i was just wondering would this work with a AMD GPU as well i have seen NVIDIA and Intel but no mention of AMD?
    If the AMD GPU board has Dolby 5.1 sound, then yes, and I am sure it does.
    And to make it clear about a Firestick and Dolby output, it has the same problem plugged straight into a stereo only HDTV, the TV reports to the firestick it can only play stereo, so the firestick only sends it stereo. To get Dolby 5.1, I plug the firestick into an HDMI switch that has Dolby output, so the switch tells the stick to send Dolby 5.1 surround sound. SO if you get such an HDMI switch with dolby out, you wont have to mess with PC drivers ( switch handles the sound output, not the TV)

    The switch I got from Amazon, and had no EDID settings on it, it just worked. I eventually got the HDMI switch cuase I have 3 HDMI sources, and TV only has 2 HDMI inputs and I wanted Dolby from the firestick to send to my audio receiver by way of the COAX sound cable.

    Amazon.com
    This one I bought a year ago works fine

    If you have a Dolby receiver with HDMI input, then you wont need such a switch. My Sony receiver has no HDMI input.
    Last edited by sdowney717; 14 Feb 2021 at 11:55.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 9
    windows 10
       #44

    cool cheers m8y. I just got a new tv and it has more HDMI inputs then i need already so would rather not have to go down the switch route if i can avoid it tbh but thanks for the link have added it to my watch list just in case. my GPU is an AMD 270x it says it supports 5.1 etc. i have downloaded he apps from OP so will give it a try and report back.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #45

    fatguy666 said:
    The reason my PC is connected to my soundbar rather than my TV is because of the audio delay using ARC. Your TV and Soundbar are much newer than mine so they may have been updated to support eARC. I'm sure the notification on the soundbar will say "eARC" when it's activated - it's allows higher res audio than the older ARC and apparently there's no audio delay.

    I recently reformatted my computer and managed to get my 5.1 working again super quickly. Basically, I installed the full normal NVIDIA drivers. Then disable driver signature enforcement to install modded audio driver only. Reboot then install the APO driver and set that up . Next, install the Dolby app. Finally, go into sound control panel and set Dolby Digital in the advanced tab. Whole thing took 5 minutes.

    If you want to do it this way (the way in the OP never worked for me at all) I've uploaded the modded audio driver, APO driver, and Dolby app here. That Dolby app is specific for 5.1 audio - I looked on the Samsung website and do not understand how it can be a 7.1 system but only support Dolby Digital and DTS digital. Seems like 2 extra speakers that do nothing!
    Hi,

    First of all, thank you for all the advice. I seem to be stuck on this part install modded audio driver, would you kindly elaborate on how exactly to do this?

    I've tried to:
    1. disabled driver signature enforcement
    2. navigated to Device Manager > Audio Inputs and Methods > LONTIUM (NVIDIA High Definition Audio) > Update Drivers > Browse my Computer for Drivers > selected path to your folder "HD Audio" but then it says "The best drivers for your device are already installed

    I appreciate all the feedback.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #46

    quezcotl said:
    Hi,

    First of all, thank you for all the advice. I seem to be stuck on this part install modded audio driver, would you kindly elaborate on how exactly to do this?

    I've tried to:
    1. disabled driver signature enforcement
    2. navigated to Device Manager > Audio Inputs and Methods > LONTIUM (NVIDIA High Definition Audio) > Update Drivers > Browse my Computer for Drivers > selected path to your folder "HD Audio" but then it says "The best drivers for your device are already installed

    I appreciate all the feedback.
    I have have the same problem as well.
    But i should notice, that everything worked on my earlier Nvidia Driver Version (457.xx). For some (stupid) reasons - never change a working system *facepalm* - i wanted to update to a more recent version of the graphics driver (465.89), excluded the HD Audio Driver during installation, but ended up with a missing Driver for the HD Audio/HDMI Audio of the Geforce Card (shown in the device manager). So i reinstalled the whole new driver again (this time HD Audio Driver) and it showed up again and audio worked again as expected (for stock Nvidia drivers).
    Then i wanted to reinstall the modded Nvidia Audio Driver and ended up with the same notification like you. Now i'm clueless and stucked in the same situation you describe and would appreciate some help as well.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Solved my problem.
    @quezcotl: You have to select the option below "Choose from a list of available drivers on my computer" and the storage/drive/source button down right (sorry, i don't know how it's exactly tagged in english) and select the location of the driver. Worked for me.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #47

    So thanks to fatguy posting earlier about a different forum post, as that allowed me to install everything without a modded audio driver. He linked to a forum but it landed on a random page, so I had to search around the time he posted here, April 2020, and found the creator of the APO utility saying to install the FX Configurator and Dolby DS1 7.6.5.1 (as of this posting). I didn't need to install anything mentioning PCEE. Just set the device you want with the FX Configurator the way that fatguy showed with that imgur link (https://imgur.com/AK0MMko]) and then run the Dolby Install from his zipped file. It took me way too long to get everything together that he did, so save yourself 30-60 min and download that from page 1 on this thread and get this up and running right away.

    TL;DR:
    1. Download the zip file from Fatguy
    2. Unzip and install APO driver, selecting "FX Configurator" and "Dolby DS1 7.6.5.1"
    3. Use FX Configurator to set the device you want to using Dolby Home Theater v4 (HDMI/SPDIF), illustrated here: https://imgur.com/AK0MMko]
    4. Install DolbyHomeTheater.msi from Fatguy's zip file
    5. Go to your device in sound window (looks like old control panel, not modern settings page), click properties, and if successful, you should have a "Dolby" tab and in Advanced > Default Format, a "Dolby Digital" format. Pictures of my APO driver install selection and sound settings page: https://imgur.com/a/W5Yatdj]
    6. Test surround sound via the 5.1 surround sound file Fatguy listed earlier via Windows Photos app (direct link here: https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/ChID-BLITS-EBU.mp4)
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 20
    Windows 10 Creators Update
       #48

    swirle13 said:
    without a modded audio driver
    Hey, thanks for the update - I usually don't bother installing new video drivers because I installing the modded audio driver is a ball ache, now I don't have to!

    Also, in case anyone else sees this I tried to use the latest APO Driver but got an error saying there was a virus in it! The one I uploaded (which I've kept a copy anyway) works just fine.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #49

    Thank you everyone for all your research and supporting files to make this easier.

    I have a 5.2 system (using Sonos Arc and dual subs) and was wondering if there's anything different that would need to be done in order to have both subs working with this fix.

    This is all very new to me, but I'm excited to give it a shot!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Home
       #50

    swirle13 said:
    So thanks to fatguy posting earlier about a different forum post, as that allowed me to install everything without a modded audio driver. He linked to a forum but it landed on a random page, so I had to search around the time he posted here, April 2020, and found the creator of the APO utility saying to install the FX Configurator and Dolby DS1 7.6.5.1 (as of this posting). I didn't need to install anything mentioning PCEE. Just set the device you want with the FX Configurator the way that fatguy showed with that imgur link (https://imgur.com/AK0MMko]) and then run the Dolby Install from his zipped file. It took me way too long to get everything together that he did, so save yourself 30-60 min and download that from page 1 on this thread and get this up and running right away.

    TL;DR:
    1. Download the zip file from Fatguy
    2. Unzip and install APO driver, selecting "FX Configurator" and "Dolby DS1 7.6.5.1"
    3. Use FX Configurator to set the device you want to using Dolby Home Theater v4 (HDMI/SPDIF), illustrated here: https://imgur.com/AK0MMko]
    4. Install DolbyHomeTheater.msi from Fatguy's zip file
    5. Go to your device in sound window (looks like old control panel, not modern settings page), click properties, and if successful, you should have a "Dolby" tab and in Advanced > Default Format, a "Dolby Digital" format. Pictures of my APO driver install selection and sound settings page: https://imgur.com/a/W5Yatdj]
    6. Test surround sound via the 5.1 surround sound file Fatguy listed earlier via Windows Photos app (direct link here: https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/ChID-BLITS-EBU.mp4)
    Iíve been searching for days to fix this. Seems to have worked, although I donít understand why windows still sees it as stereo? Cheers!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:57.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums