All the sudden - no sound

  1.    #1

    All the sudden - no sound


    I have a dell Optiplex 360. Altech Lansing speakers are plugged into it for sound.

    At first when I checked the sound devices, the speakers were there. I checked for updated drivers and computer said the drivers were already updated. I then decided to uninstall the speakers and reinstall.

    Now, the computer can't find the speakers when I look in sound/audio. But under devices it does list it under sound: avermedia co39 usb capture card

    Not sure what the problem is or why I lost the sound in the first place.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    #2

    The Avermedia is not the sound card (device) however disconnect this when trying to install a sound driver as it can conflict

    This has Analog Devices ADI 198x sound chip. Dell only supports XP, Vista 32 bit and Win 7 32 bit with this model. Win 8 and Win 10 are not supported. Thus most likely the best you can do is the generic, basic function, Windows Installed High Definition Audio device driver, if the ADI 198x is even compatible.

    With the Avermedia disconnected, reboot and see if Windows detects and installs the High Definition audio driver.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 25,755
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #3

    Open administrative powershell and type or copy and paste:

    Get-ComputerRestorePoint

    See if you can perform a system restore prior to the day in which the driver was uninstalled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    #4

    zbook said: View Post
    Open administrative powershell and type or copy and paste:

    Get-ComputerRestorePoint

    See if you can perform a system restore prior to the day in which the driver was uninstalled.
    I can do that but it wasn't working before the uninstall also so something else is going on, right?

    - - - Updated - - -

    fireberd said: View Post
    The Avermedia is not the sound card (device) however disconnect this when trying to install a sound driver as it can conflict

    This has Analog Devices ADI 198x sound chip. Dell only supports XP, Vista 32 bit and Win 7 32 bit with this model. Win 8 and Win 10 are not supported. Thus most likely the best you can do is the generic, basic function, Windows Installed High Definition Audio device driver, if the ADI 198x is even compatible.

    With the Avermedia disconnected, reboot and see if Windows detects and installs the High Definition audio driver.
    I disconnected avermedia, rebooted and enabled the high definition audio driver. I do have sound now if I plug the headphones in but not without. So, no computer speakers? also, why do you think avermedia stopped working?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #5

    Check the default audio playback device. It should be "Speakers". If you have HDMI video connected, Windows will default to HDMI for audio and there will not be any speaker sound but you willl have headset audio.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    #6

    fireberd said: View Post
    Check the default audio playback device. It should be "Speakers". If you have HDMI video connected, Windows will default to HDMI for audio and there will not be any speaker sound but you willl have headset audio.
    Won't let me set speakers because it says they aren't plugged in. which, I have unplugged the external speakers because they weren't working. maybe there are no internal speakers on my computer? dell optiplex 360
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7.    #7

    There are no internal l speakers (may be a small one for error beeps) in desktops. You need to plug the speakers in.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Yet again Deja-vu from 23 jun 2017, after installing the adobe update and security update for Windows 10 i have no sound clicking the Sound Blaster Z control panel icon in taskbar opens the control panel but clicking any buttons terminates the...
Hello there, As in the title: I have lost sound after latest Windows 10 update, which happened yesterday (23rd June 2017) - I am using Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card. I have tried reinstalling the drivers, then reinstalling the device, then...
Uhm. Well, that's pretty much what the title says. To get into detail; while I was using a music synthesis program, there was no sound. Even the system and browser sounds were not there. I did check to see a "Realtek HD Audio" not being...
Hello all, really hope I can get some pointers here as I've literally spent much of last night and all of today trying to figure this out. I use shadowplay to record gameplay videos, mostly racing sims. However it seems to be passing on my...
When I first went from W8.1 to W10, everything worked except the sound. Now after several updates, the icon speaker in task bar has an x by it, and when I hover mouse over icon the message states that "no audio output device is installed." When I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:12.
Find Us