(Another) Realtek Audio Lag/Stutter on Huawei Matebook D

  1. DjDave238's Avatar
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Home (1803 Build 17134.590)
       #1

    (Another) Realtek Audio Lag/Stutter on Huawei Matebook D


    Yes, yes, there are a lot of posts about crummy Realtek Audio, and even a sticky thread (or two). But hear me out I've tried all that. So...

    I recently purchased a Huawei Matebook D 14" AMD Ryzen laptop. Everything seems okay except for one glaringly bad issue: every time any application tries to emit sound, there is a 1/2 - 3/4 second knock-out where no audio is played. The audio is just simply never heard, like it never existed. Then, suddenly, it kicks in right in the middle of the sound playing, and sometimes with a noticeable stutter/skip.

    Now, I've tried twisting the audio drivers six ways from Sunday...

    I've reinstalled Huawei's recommended driver from the Huawei product support page. No good.

    I've tried replacing the Realtek Audio Device driver with Microsoft's High Definition Audio Device driver. That resulted in a slightly reduced delay, but with the addition of a loud, painful *POP-pop-crackle* every time any (and I mean any) sound is generated, or the sound card "sleeps."

    I've tried using DPC Latency Checker and disabling most of the devices in the Device Manager (that aren't system critical) to see if the latency would drop. It wouldn't.

    I've tried downloading and installing the Realtek Audio Console from the top sticky thread. It didn't help either.

    I've tried downloading the "latest version" cab file from the same thread. Windows wouldn't take it because it liked its own version better.

    Now, it's worth noting that, when Windows wants to play a sound, and I'm using the stock audio drivers, the Windows OS itself doesn't seem to have the lag/stutter issue; e.g., the volume slider, Windows sounds, etc. Only other applications seem to be plagued with the lag/stutter.

    I tried posting on Huawei's "Official Community Forum" and was completely ignored.

    I'm grasping at straws here, as I really like almost everything else about this laptop. But since I run sound for events, this is a serious deal-breaker; if I can 't fix this, I'm sending it back, or selling it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Another) Realtek Audio Lag/Stutter on Huawei Matebook D-audio-hardware.jpg  
      My Computer

  2. DjDave238's Avatar
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Home (1803 Build 17134.590)
    Thread Starter
       #2

    And in classic fashion, I have a major break-through just after writing the wall of text. This link was immensely helpful:

    http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/...8067_FF00).zip

    From the post by Grom0X at:

    Audio Pop/Stutter/Crackle When Stopping Audio - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computer

  3. fireberd's Avatar
    Posts : 2,442
    Win 11 Pro
       #3

    I have a Dell laptop (sold as a gaming laptop) that I use in my recording studio for off-site recordings. No matter what I tweaked or removed I still had occasional dropouts and DPC latency showed problems. I finally gave up on the OEM Dell disc image and restored it to factory image. It had room for either a laptop hard drive or SSD as a second drive and I had a spare SSD so I installed that and only installed Win 10, needed drivers and my recording studio software (Cakewalk Sonar). No more problems.

    FWIW, sound is always on a shared Interrupt (IRQ) with a higher priority device. This has the potential to cause a lot of sound problems. I have Realtek on my DAW desktop (a self built with an i7 6700K) and on the Laptop and neither has any issues. I do PC support and none of my clients that have Realtek, which are most, are having any issues with it.
      My Computers

  4. DjDave238's Avatar
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Home (1803 Build 17134.590)
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Yeah I gave up on Huawei's recommended drivers (except for gfx, for some reason the newest AMD gfx driver does not like my laptop ).
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2
    Win 10 Home, Version 1903, build 18362.175
       #5

    Thank you!


    DjDave238 said:
    And in classic fashion, I have a major break-through just after writing the wall of text. This link was immensely helpful:

    http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/...8067_FF00).zip

    From the post by Grom0X at:

    Audio Pop/Stutter/Crackle When Stopping Audio - Windows 10 Forums
    Hi DJDave238,

    I specifically signed up to thank you very much for your help! I just figured out the very same problem on my AMD Ryzen 2500U powered Huawei Matebook D. In the past I never had problems with any Realtek device, but here the newest audio driver (installed by Huaweis PC Manager) was indeed causing the sound lag, which made me crazy in skype conversations, as well as tutorial videos.
    I followed your advice and installed the audio driver "Realtek_Audio(v8067)". This solved the problem instantly. Tip for other Matebook users: You don't have to uninstall the "old" (in reality more new) driver by hand, but the setup of the new one will automatically uninstall the old one first, restart and install the new by itself. So just download, run setup.exe, wait a few minutes (it takes some time, even with an Samsung Evo 970) and enjoy a lag free audio.

    Thank you again, DJDave238!
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #6

    firstbbb said:
    Hi DJDave238,

    I specifically signed up to thank you very much for your help! I just figured out the very same problem on my AMD Ryzen 2500U powered Huawei Matebook D. In the past I never had problems with any Realtek device, but here the newest audio driver (installed by Huaweis PC Manager) was indeed causing the sound lag, which made me crazy in skype conversations, as well as tutorial videos.
    I followed your advice and installed the audio driver "Realtek_Audio(v8067)". This solved the problem instantly. Tip for other Matebook users: You don't have to uninstall the "old" (in reality more new) driver by hand, but the setup of the new one will automatically uninstall the old one first, restart and install the new by itself. So just download, run setup.exe, wait a few minutes (it takes some time, even with an Samsung Evo 970) and enjoy a lag free audio.

    Thank you again, DJDave238!
    I have the same problem with my Matebook D but the setup of the audio driver you suggest is not working properly for me. It uninstall the old driver but after restarting the pc the setup keep doing the "uninstalling phase" so it never install the new driver. Am I missing something?
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 2
    Win 10 Home, Version 1903, build 18362.175
       #7

    GabriStucchi said:
    I have the same problem with my Matebook D but the setup of the audio driver you suggest is not working properly for me. It uninstall the old driver but after restarting the pc the setup keep doing the "uninstalling phase" so it never install the new driver. Am I missing something?
    I installed my own, clean windows, because I changed the SSD for a bigger one. Maybe you want to install a clean windows and try again. If you made sure you have the correct driver version, it might be the only difference between our systems. Good luck!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:05.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums