True HD missing from supported formats in 'sound properties'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 18
    win 10 pro 64
       #1

    True HD missing from supported formats in 'sound properties'


    Hi....
    as it says on the tin.... True HD missing from supported formats in 'sound properties'

    Device manager shows NVidia and Realtek High Definition Audio with NO problems?

    This is a new install of Win 10.....on a new PC...!

    Have I done something daft???
      My Computer

  2. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,666
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1 Build 19043.1151 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #2

    What do you mean by True HD? And which audio properties are you referring to?


    Is it the playback quality you are talking about, as seen in this screenshot:
    True HD missing from supported formats in 'sound properties'-true_hd.png

    True HD missing from supported formats in 'sound properties'-true_hd2.png
      My Computers

  3. fireberd's Avatar
    Posts : 2,414
    Win 10 Pro, 21H1
       #3

    Anything over 16 bit/44.1Khz is really lost. This is "CD Quality" wav file and what is delivered for the final mixes from recording studios.

    We (recording studios) record at higher bit rates, for audio manipulation, but as noted the final product is 16 bit/44.1Khz.

    Some PC and motherboard manufacturers add extra sound software but that is an OEM item and not available to the general public. e.g. I have an ASUS ROG Maximus (gamer) motherboard and ASUS supplied the add on "Supreme FX" audio enhancements. If I were to do a clean Windows 10 install and just install the Realtek (in my case) sound driver there would be no sound enhancements.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 18
    win 10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       #4

    ...some confusion here!!

    I mean True HD missing from supported formats in 'sound properties'

    ....but NOT speaker properties...referred to in earlier reply!!

    True HD is missing (but present in my earlier install) from the 'supported formats' tab of the 'sound properties' dialogue.

    Control Panel/Sound-select device/Properties/Supported Formats(tab)
    Hope that's the correct way of describing it....gets me there anyway
    Last edited by misterkevster; 17 Apr 2018 at 12:08. Reason: To refine
      My Computer

  5. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,666
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1 Build 19043.1151 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #5

    fireberd said:
    Anything over 16 bit/44.1Khz is really lost. This is "CD Quality" wav file and what is delivered for the final mixes from recording studios.

    We (recording studios) record at higher bit rates, for audio manipulation, but as noted the final product is 16 bit/44.1Khz.

    Some PC and motherboard manufacturers add extra sound software but that is an OEM item and not available to the general public. e.g. I have an ASUS ROG Maximus (gamer) motherboard and ASUS supplied the add on "Supreme FX" audio enhancements. If I were to do a clean Windows 10 install and just install the Realtek (in my case) sound driver there would be no sound enhancements.
    Yep, you are absolutely correct about this.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 18
    win 10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       #6

    slicendice said:
    Yep, you are absolutely correct about this.
    Great that you're both in agreement with one another.....but this thread is about something else!!....
      My Computer


  7. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,666
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1 Build 19043.1151 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #7

    misterkevster said:
    ...some confusion here!!

    I mean True HD missing from supported formats in 'sound properties'

    ....but NOT speaker properties...referred to in earlier reply!!

    True HD is missing (but present in my earlier install) from the 'supported formats' tab of the 'sound properties' dialogue.

    Control Panel/Sound-select device/Properties/Supported Formats(tab)
    Hope that's the correct way of describing it....gets me there anyway
    Windows supports pretty much any format you throw at it. There is no such setting by default and there is no need to adjust such settings. All that matters is the output bitrate and frequency if you want Windows to mix multiple audio sources at higher quality under the hood to decrease mixing loss. The final output coming to the speakers will still be the same as CD/DVD quality.

    Anything above that and you won't hear any difference at all.
      My Computers

  8. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,666
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1 Build 19043.1151 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #8

    misterkevster said:
    Great that you're both in agreement with one another.....but this thread is about something else!!....
    You must explain a bit better before we understand what you mean. What was the True HD supposed to do?
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 18
    win 10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       #9

    slicendice said:
    You must explain a bit better before we understand what you mean. What was the True HD supposed to do?
    Aaaggghhhhh.....Perhaps someone else could PLEASE refer to my posts at #1 and/or #4

    Thanks 'slicendice'.....but no more help PLEASE!!!!!!
      My Computer

  10. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,666
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1 Build 19043.1151 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #10

    misterkevster said:
    Aaaggghhhhh.....Perhaps someone else could PLEASE refer to my posts at #1 and/or #4

    Thanks 'slicendice'.....but no more help PLEASE!!!!!!
    Since you fail to explain what you want it to do and just "True HD is missing" is a rather vague description, I must fish for more information in order to help others find you a solution.

    Do you mean Dolby True HD?
    Which output device are you talking about? SPDIF / Optical / HDMI / 5.1-7.1 channel analog?
    What is your playback device/source (where does the audio come from)?
    Where does the audio go? What device receives the audio?
    Are you looking for Stereo/2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 audio?

    We don't know anything about your audio setup.
    Last edited by slicendice; 17 Apr 2018 at 14:08.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:08.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums