Windows 10: CMD Prompt Cannot Find exe That Certainly Exists


  1. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Enterprise
       04 Sep 2017 #1

    CMD Prompt Cannot Find exe That Certainly Exists


    I'm trying to create a batch file to open to applications, Spotify and Rainmeter, simultaneously. Spotify is, well, obviously a music player and rainmeter is an app that runs plugins, in this case I use it to display a visualizer and metadata on the TV in my living room.

    I always always always launch both Spotify and Rainmeter at the same time, so I figured I'd find a way to do it with the click of a single button.

    I found a tutorial on line that shows how to create a batch file, but I'm running into issues.

    Here's my .bat:

    Code:
    @echo off
    cd C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
    start rainmeter.exe
    
    cd D:\Users\Alec J Brock\AppData\Roaming\Spotify
    start spotify.exe
    
    exit
    This opens Spotify just fine (though it took some deviation from the tutorial, such as removing the slash at the end of "D:\... ...Spotify").

    Rainmeter will not launch. I run the .bat and Spotify launches, but I get a dialog box that says "Windows cannot find 'rainmeter.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again.

    I definitely typed the name correctly, but I tried use an uppercase R, dropping .exe, and all other combinations as well as using and not using double quotes around rainmeter.exe and the filepaths. No success.

    I tried doing things a bit more manually by opening a command prompt, CDing to C:/Program Files/Rainmeter/ then running "start rainmeter.exe"--I get the same dialog box saying that no rainmeter.exe cannot be found. I get the same dialog if I try to start SkinInstaller.exe or uninst.exe (other executables in the same directory).

    I've also tried running the .bat as an admin. All with no results.

    So what gives? Why does command prompt seem unable to locate executables in this directory?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,303
    10.5 Home 1803 x64
       04 Sep 2017 #2

    Code:
    start "" "C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\rainmeter.exe"
    start "" "D:\Users\Alec J Brock\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\spotify.exe"
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 4,791
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       04 Sep 2017 #3

    Pull up Explorer and look in Program and Program86 folders. Also the Rainmeter program will eat up valuable CPU resources. It should be set as a task, not to have it automatically start at the same time as the other.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 5,156
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       04 Sep 2017 #4

    Shouldn't Rainmeter be in either C:\Program Files Folder or C:\Program Files x86 Folder rather than in the AppData Folder. Or is it installed on a drive or partition other than the one Windows is on? With a smallish C: partition I install most programs now on D: without using C:\Program Files Folder or C:\Program Files x86 Folder, just their own such as D:\Corel for WordPerfect.

    C:\Program Files is for 32-bit programs running on 32-bit Windows while C:\Program Files is used with programs on 64-bit Windows along with C:\Program Files x86 for 32-bit programs running on 64-bit Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,750
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.3 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       04 Sep 2017 #5

    bro67 said: View Post
    Pull up Explorer and look in Program and Program86 folders. Also the Rainmeter program will eat up valuable CPU resources. It should be set as a task, not to have it automatically start at the same time as the other.
    Rainmeter uses a tiny amount of resources on my PCs (~30 MB and 0.4% CPU).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Enterprise
    Thread Starter
       06 Sep 2017 #6

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    Code:
    start "" "C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\rainmeter.exe"
    start "" "D:\Users\Alec J Brock\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\spotify.exe"
    Thank you a thousand times over! This works perfectly. The other solution I found appeared a bit convoluted to start; when I came up with the desire to launch the two programs, I figured it would look something like this, a lot more basic. I'm pretty handy with Windows, but not so much cmd or bat type things--

    can you explain why you have the pair of double quotes between start and the filepath?

    Again, thank you!

    bro67 said: View Post
    Pull up Explorer and look in Program and Program86 folders. Also the Rainmeter program will eat up valuable CPU resources. It should be set as a task, not to have it automatically start at the same time as the other.
    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    Rainmeter uses a tiny amount of resources on my PCs (~30 MB and 0.4% CPU).
    bro67--what are you running in rainmeter? I would assume the amount of resources rainmeter requires varies depending on what you're doing. I'm using it only to display Spotify's current track/artist as well as a spectrum analyzer on my living room TV. I've got the analyzer set in a way that probably uses as many resources as a spectrum analyzer could (100 bars, responsive from 10Hz-20kHz, high refresh rate...). As is, my rainmeter setup is currently consuming less than 1% of my CPU and 18.7MB of RAM. Even with my not-so-high-end Pentium G3250, I can run AutoCAD, Rhino (with an accurate model of my home down to the joists and studs), Spotify and rainmeter without issue.

    Berton said: View Post
    Shouldn't Rainmeter be in either C:\Program Files Folder or C:\Program Files x86 Folder rather than in the AppData Folder. Or is it installed on a drive or partition other than the one Windows is on? With a smallish C: partition I install most programs now on D: without using C:\Program Files Folder or C:\Program Files x86 Folder, just their own such as D:\Corel for WordPerfect.
    C:\Program Files is for 32-bit programs running on 32-bit Windows while C:\Program Files is used with programs on 64-bit Windows along with C:\Program Files x86 for 32-bit programs running on 64-bit Windows.
    Rainmeter is in C:\Program Files. Spotify is installed in the App Data folder on D:\. Much to my shegrin, Spotify doesn't give you the option (I'm sure there's a way) to install where you choose. All of my programs (for the most part) are on C:\ along with my boot files, Windows files, etc. I use D:\ for libraries and Spotify decided that's where it should live.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
The Update process for new Windows 10 builds has shown evolutionary changes over the past two years as part of the Insider Preview Programme. One noticeable change has been that the ability, by default, to observe behind the scenes events by...
I was on vacation for about 10 days, so I'm not sure exactly when an app/windows was updated but this problem definitely started in the last 2 weeks. I will be typing away in my editor or playing a game and I will see a Command Prompt open and...
Facebook app icon still exists in Software and Apps
Hello guys, Today i found Facebook app installed on windows, then i Uninstalled it, then i Search to check for it. I Search for it I type ''Facebook'' I see the Icon of the app but when i click nothing happens or when I right click nothing...
I was having problems with one of my accounts in Mail, so did what I have done before - deleted and re-installed. Except that Mail says that account already exists and will not allow me to install it.I have looked through all the postings in MS...
After holding what might be the device event of the year, Microsoft’s CEO Satya Nadella met with Nilay Patel to discuss the new hardware and his vision for the company. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcoS9aQItgA&feature=youtu.be
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19.
Find Us