Missing icons in programs and features and changing names

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. lx07's Avatar
    Posts : 5,479
    2004
       #11

    Then don't install it and use the portable version as I said.

    The post you linked to said
    If you are running any of the following software, please disable it while playing:
    CCleaner
    PowerShell

    etc, etc
    CCleaner can run as a service (if you bought the paid version) but normally it doesn't. PowerShell is not something you can disable at all - it is a part of Windows OS (like the cmd prompt). They clearly don't mean don't use PowerShell - just don't run random scripts in the middle of a game.

    Best solution - run CCleaner (portable just in case) when you are not in the middle of a game. Then you are covered.

    That is (to be clear): save and exit game, run CCleaner, start game again. Or just run it when you finish or before you start.
      My Computer

  2. Cerawy's Avatar
    Posts : 852
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #12

    lx07 said:

    Best solution - run CCleaner (portable just in case) when you are not in the middle of a game. Then you are covered.
    Yes, but then i have to uninstall it again, reinstall it when i need it and uninstall it again. It's not a good solution.
      My Computer

  3. lx07's Avatar
    Posts : 5,479
    2004
       #13

    Cerawy said:
    Yes, but then i have to uninstall it again, reinstall it when i need it and uninstall it again. It's not a good solution.
    No you don't. A portable program is not installed. It just sits there doing nothing like any other file (a picture of your cat for example).

    You tap on it - it does its thing then you close it and it does nothing. You don't have to uninstall it as it was never installed.

    That is what a portable program means. It means it is not installed.

    Just give it a double tap when you want it to run.
      My Computer

  4. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,477
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #14

    lx07 said:
    No you don't. A portable program is not installed. It just sits there doing nothing like any other file (a picture of your cat for example).

    You tap on it - it does its thing then you close it and it does nothing. You don't have to uninstall it as it was never installed.

    That is what a portable program means. It means it is not installed.

    Just give it a double tap when you want it to run.
    Exactly. I have never found the need to install, always use the portable version. It's a .zip file that is extracted into a folder whether on the same drive or in my case to a USB Thumb Drive, hence the portable part.

    I get it from CCleaner - Builds.
      My Computers

  5. Cerawy's Avatar
    Posts : 852
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #15

    Berton said:
    Exactly. I have never found the need to install, always use the portable version. It's a .zip file that is extracted into a folder whether on the same drive or in my case to a USB Thumb Drive, hence the portable part.

    I get it from CCleaner - Builds.
    I guess that works, but I still find it a bit inconvenient to have a program laying around on my computer just to change the names occasionally. I'm going to go with this solution, but if someone has a better solution please let me know.
    Last edited by Cerawy; 13 Apr 2018 at 18:25.
      My Computer

  6. Cerawy's Avatar
    Posts : 852
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #16

    I just tried rebuilding the icon cache using this guide, but sadly it didn't work.
      My Computer

  7. Cerawy's Avatar
    Posts : 852
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #17

    I think i found a solution to the missing icons.

    I just tried running SFC and it scanned my system files and brought back some of the missing icons from my programs. The only icon thats missing is the Warcraft 3 icon. The rest of them has been brought back.
    Last edited by Cerawy; 22 Apr 2018 at 23:24.
      My Computer

  8. Cerawy's Avatar
    Posts : 852
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #18

    Warcraft 3 just had en update that brought back the icon to programs and features. Marking this thread as solved.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:14.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums