Windows 10: What free or affordable video editing software are you using?

  1.    17 May 2017 #1

    What free or affordable video editing software are you using?


    Hey guys,
    I'm doing a research and was hoping you could help me with it. I'm trying to find out what the most popular free or affordable (under $50) video editing software is. Windows OS, of course.
    Please write in comments what program you are using or used in the past and were happy with.

    Thank you in advance!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)
       17 May 2017 #2

    Best free (IMHO) is Videopad Video Editor. It has a ton of features and is the only free software that can "easily" do overlays (like picture in picture videos).

    http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/

    Another free "oldie but goodie" is Windows Movie Maker. My favorite version is/was 6.0 which can still be installed on Win 10 with this stand-alone installer:

    http://movies.blainesville.com/p/wmm...windows-7.html

    Cheers,

    WOT
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    17 May 2017 #3

    WOT said: View Post
    Best free (IMHO) is Videopad Video Editor.
    WOT
    Isn't it free version only available as a linear editor? Last time I checked it was 1 video track and 1 audio track available in free version. I agree, it has a lot of features and can be quite sufficient - just confused about pic in pic effect if it's linear.
    Thank you anyway! I also find Videopad interface one of the most intuitive ones.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)
       17 May 2017 #4

    NinaDG said: View Post
    Isn't it free version only available as a linear editor? Last time I checked it was 1 video track and 1 audio track available in free version. I agree, it has a lot of features and can be quite sufficient - just confused about pic in pic effect if it's linear.
    Thank you anyway! I also find Videopad interface one of the most intuitive ones.
    The overlay track is the grey area directly above Video Track 1.
    If you have no clips on the sequence track it is not labelled or visible.
    Drop or place a clip into Video Track 1 and you will see a line of text appear..

    "Drag or drop your video, text or image clips here to overlay"

    Hope this helps,

    Regards,

    WOT

    Update:
    Here is an old video I made showing how to do it; however, I must admit, there may be better ones available:


    I forgot to mention FFMPEG, which can do almost anything, but has a moderate-to-steep learning curve.

    Here is an example of how I did a simple overlay using FFMPEG:

    How to embed one video inside another video to create a picture-in-picture (PIP) effect with FFMPEG:

    ffmpeg -i testbw.wmv -i test.wmv -filter_complex "[0]scale=iw/5:ih/5 [pip]; [1][pip] overlay=main_w-overlay_w-10:main_h-overlay_h-10" -profile:v main -level 3.1 -b:v 440k -ar 44100 -ab 128k -s 720x400 -vcodec h264 -acodec libvo_aacenc PIP_example.mp4

    Note: Scale parameter sets the size of smaller PIP window

    FYI, FFMPEG User is my name on youtube.
    Last edited by WOT; 17 May 2017 at 16:45.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    17 May 2017 #5

    Giveaway of the Day is offering Dimo Videomate 3.0 for free today. Hurry, only 4 hours left.

    Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 2,470
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       18 May 2017 #6

    TrustMe said: View Post
    Giveaway of the Day is offering Dimo Videomate 3.0 for free today. Hurry, only 4 hours left.

    Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily
    Is this free program any good? Kaspersky Application Advisor reports the install file isn't signed but is logged as a 'safe' 'low restricted' application by only 34 users.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    18 May 2017 #7

    Steve C said: View Post
    Is this free program any good? Kaspersky Application Advisor reports the install file isn't signed but is logged as a 'safe' 'low restricted' application by only 34 users.
    I have not personally used the program but go on the website almost every day to see what they are offering. From time to time I download and install their programs. I've never had a problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    18 May 2017 #8

    WOT said: View Post
    The overlay track is the grey area directly above Video Track 1.
    If you have no clips on the sequence track it is not labelled or visible.
    Thanks a lot, that was helpful.



    TrustMe said: View Post
    I have not personally used the program but go on the website almost every day to see what they are offering. From time to time I download and install their programs. I've never had a problem.
    As far as I know, GOTD used to have issues with trustworthiness because of some 3rd party bundles, but now they should be clean.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)
       18 May 2017 #9

    Glad we could help you.

    Regards,

    WOT
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  

    Related Threads
    I have installed the Honestech TVR 2.5 video editing software onto my Windows 10 laptop and am using the Video DVR usb cable that came with it. I want to put my VHS tapes onto DVD, but have no clue how to do it. I received no manual and can't find...
    I'm coming to the end of my rope here. Win8.1 32bit OS. My audio/video editing needs are relatively simple, yet I only seem to find programs which are insultingly simplistic and don't offer the functions I need; needlessly overly complicated, or...
    Free Music Editing Software in Software and Apps
    I'm looking for software that can edit music files i.e. fade in/out, snipping, etc. Any suggestions? Cheers!
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:05.
    Find Us