Win.old 4-17-17 and windows 10upgrade 4-16-17


  1. Posts : 1,324
    10 Pro retail 1909
       #1

    Win.old 4-17-17 and windows 10upgrade 4-16-17


    I found these two folders under Windows in the file explorer.
    Should they be removed?
    I ran cleanup system files and removed all the old windows upgrade items.
    I have images in external hard drives of my current creator OS update.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 25,640
    Windows 11 Pro 22621.1
       #2

    They should be safe to remove.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 67
    Win10 Pro x64
       #3

    maranna said:
    I found these two folders under Windows in the file explorer.
    Should they be removed?
    I ran cleanup system files and removed all the old windows upgrade items.
    I have images in external hard drives of my current creator OS update.
    "Win.old" would be the original windows installation prior to the creators update to revert back to upon uninstalling creators update.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,324
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #4

    EliteData said:
    "Win.old" would be the original windows installation prior to the creators update to revert back to upon uninstalling creators update.

    >Should I then remove it? I have image of each.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 67
    Win10 Pro x64
       #5

    if you have an image of Win.old saved, you could remove it from the root directory as its just taking up space.
    but you'll need to put it back before you revert back to the original windows installation (uninstall creators update)
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,324
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #6

    They have been removed and all is fine thank you
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 67
    Win10 Pro x64
       #7

    i have yet to compress mine into a RAR/ZIP and move it to my gig-e NAS.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,324
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #8

    compress


    EliteData said:
    i have yet to compress mine into a RAR/ZIP and move it to my gig-e NAS.
    >>Way over my head but I think you are going to compress the information and safe it to your drive for future use.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 67
    Win10 Pro x64
       #9

    maranna said:
    >>Way over my head but I think you are going to compress the information and safe it to your drive for future use.
    yes but the issue is copying all the files with their correct attributes and permissions without making major changes to it (doesnt copy correctly using xcopy)
    what did you use to make an "image" copy of the folder ?
    or did you just make an "image" of the entire drive itself ?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,324
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #10

    I am low level so I just use C: and macrium images it occasionally.
    I image the drives in the the OS and verify; it has been very reliable for a free product.
      My Computer


 

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums