Windows 10: Anniversary update change default programs?

  1.    08 Dec 2016 #1

    Anniversary update change default programs?


    Did the anniversary update change the way the default programs used to work?
    I can't seem to set the default programs to use portable applications now. And its alot harder to set file associations as well for portable apps.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    08 Dec 2016 #2

    Hi, you will have to browse to the program manually to achieve this; programs must register themselves as potentially capable of handling a particular file type or protocol to be listed. Naturally, portable programs don't do that.

    Programs which handle a wide range of file types and protocols will of course present a challenge, and should be avoided (e.g. a portable version of a browser).

    Please read through this which may help:
    How to make any program the default on Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    08 Dec 2016 #3

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, you will have to browse to the program manually to achieve this; programs must register themselves as potentially capable of handling a particular file type or protocol to be listed. Naturally, portable programs don't do that.
    Programs which handle a wide range of file types and protocols will of course present a challenge, and should be avoided (e.g. a portable version of a browser).
    ......
    I should have been clearer in my initial post. Win10 (pre-ann. update) used to be able to set default programs to any portable installed app once its been recognized, instead of having to slowly link each file extension to a program one by one, and having to do it all over again once a big updates occurs which tends to mess up file extensions.

    The recognition used to happen once an app is associated with a file extension, and could be used as a default app to set many associations in one go. But now, that functionality has been removed and default apps can only be set with fully installed apps under Win10.

    Theres nothing wrong with portable apps which can handle many file types/protocols. Any novice Windows user would know how to use the default apps setting to reset file associations to another app if a portable app is removed (and file associations broken). My preference is to use portable apps since Win10 updates have broken start menu links or never copied over those apps when a big update happens.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    09 Dec 2016 #4

    I've not experienced the last at all. But then, I also use Classic Shell (free) as my start menu as Win 10's start menu is derisory, failing to handle an extensive start menu with folders and subfolders.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    09 Dec 2016 #5

    dalchina said: View Post
    I've not experienced the last at all. But then, I also use Classic Shell (free) as my start menu as Win 10's start menu is derisory, failing to handle an extensive start menu with folders and subfolders.
    There were reports that the anniversary update broke or uninstalled Classic Shell. I didn't notice this problem but had other update issues - hanging, repeated update for the anniversary version.

    I now find that changing a bunch of file associations will make a portable app appear in the menu list in the default apps. No idea exactly how it happens but I can work with that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,748
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       11 Dec 2016 #6

    benedict said: View Post
    There were reports that the anniversary update broke or uninstalled Classic Shell. I didn't notice this problem but had other update issues - hanging, repeated update for the anniversary version.

    I now find that changing a bunch of file associations will make a portable app appear in the menu list in the default apps. No idea exactly how it happens but I can work with that.
    I use Classic Shell and I've just done the AU. I didn't have the above problems but had some others reported at https://www.tenforums.com/installati...te-report.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
We recently updated two machines to the Anniversary Update (via the Media Creation Tool method). Since the update, when you log in, the default browser is automatically opened at MSN.com. Neither browser has msn.com as their default page, and if...
I have had Windows 10 since they rolled it out. One of the things I hated was the Windows 7 Solitaire was gone. I found it online and downloaded it. It was the exact same Solitaire game and it worked fine until last week when I got the Anniversary...
Hi guys, I am really really tired of my Pro 4 already. When I got the machine, it was wonders. The moment the Anniversary Update hit it, the sound is gone. Every time I have to go to Device Manager, UNINSTALL the Realtek Audio driver. I...
Hello, TenForums, I'm new here, I'm pretty sure you guys are tired of posts like there but I'm having some trouble updating to build 1607. I'm on Threshold 1511 (November 2015 Update) on my Laptop and I was getting really impatient about the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22.
Find Us