1.    14 Jun 2015 #1
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 270
    latest windows insider home build

    How do you make program folders?


    In previous versions of windows, you could make program folders and nest the programs you wanted inside of them; I have no clue as to how to do that in windows 10; I had them organzied that way in Win 7, and after upgrading to 10, some of them do show up on the start menu, although not all of them, but I dont see them anywhere in File Explorer, or any where else that I could work with..

    thanks if you can help!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 Jun 2015 #2
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,136
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
    In previous versions of windows, you could make program folders and nest the programs you wanted inside of them; I have no clue as to how to do that in windows 10; I had them organzied that way in Win 7, and after upgrading to 10, some of them do show up on the start menu, although not all of them, but I dont see them anywhere in File Explorer, or any where else that I could work with..

    thanks if you can help!
    Do you mean you want to create folders to hold the actual programs, exe's etc. or just folders for program shortcuts to pin to the Start Menu?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    14 Jun 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 270
    latest windows insider home build
    Thread Starter

    actually, either one would be fine, I just want to make program groups, like "internet", "disk utilities" "multimedia". and put a shortcut to the executable file or the program itself in there; either way would be fine, I just want an easy way to group similiar programs together.

    So, in the "internet" program group, I wold have IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc in there...In the "disk utilities" I would have winzip, CC cleaner, Malwarebytes, etc in there...

    Does that make sense?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 Jun 2015 #4
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,136
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
    actually, either one would be fine, I just want to make program groups, like "internet", "disk utilities" "multimedia". and put a shortcut to the executable file or the program itself in there; either way would be fine, I just want an easy way to group similiar programs together.

    So, in the "internet" program group, I wold have IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc in there...In the "disk utilities" I would have winzip, CC cleaner, Malwarebytes, etc in there...

    Does that make sense?
    ... strictly for the Start Menu?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    14 Jun 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 270
    latest windows insider home build
    Thread Starter

    yep, just to be on the start menu, for fast, easy access..

    thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 Jun 2015 #6
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,136
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
    yep, just to be on the start menu, for fast, easy access..

    thanks!
    K, without using a third party menu app, it's a little involved but, let me pop over to my W10 side and I'll post a few ways to accomplish what you desire.
    Be right back!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    14 Jun 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 270
    latest windows insider home build
    Thread Starter

    thanks man, it used to be easy to do in win 7!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 Jun 2015 #8
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,136
    Windows 10 Professional

    K, here's probably the easiest way:

    You'll need to be signed on as Administrator and show 'hidden files and folders' to do this!

    Then, navigate to the locations circled on the title bars, create new folders in each location and move your desired shortcuts to those new folders. (You'll only be able to do this with Win32 program shortcuts and, the folders and/or shortcuts will only show in the 'All Apps' Menu.)

    When done, you may have to restart Explorer.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000008.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	331.8 KB 
ID:	21546

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000010.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	454.4 KB 
ID:	21547

    (I named the folders 1-....... so they would be at the top of the Menu list!)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000011.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	21548
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    14 Jun 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 270
    latest windows insider home build
    Thread Starter

    thanks man, now that I know the path to that folder, it will be easy for me to organize it!
    Although a few of my "groups" now show up in the alphabetical location where you would think they normally would!

    I used your naming convention of "1-___ to get them to show up on top

    thanks again!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Where are these folders coming from?
Hi everyone Does anyone know where these folders are coming from. They are all named MSIxxxx.tmp. They seem to be empty even when I deselect 'hide system files' in Folder Options. I delete them from outside of Windows 10 but they keep coming...
General Support
How to create folders for mail
I have this same question. I want one inbox for all 8 of my email accounts. I want a single sent folder and single trash folder for all accounts. And, I want to be able to create my own folders below the bottom fixed folder (sent or trash or junk or...
Browsers and Email
Mail App adding folders
Can you create folders in the Mail App? Thanks
Browsers and Email
Why 2 documents folders?
I am trying to figure out why I see 2 of many profile folders, such as documents, music, pics, videos. I tried deleting one, and it deletes the other. They are not duplicates, but I cannot figure out what purpose this is serving. Anyone? 19056
General Support
I'm bored... Who knows what program should I make?
I'm programmer, bored programmer... What program should I make? :p https://programmingpalace.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/photoshopskills.jpg?w=600&h=709 9178http://code.xplorate.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/xplorate-funny-5-285x300.jpg :roflmao:
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums