Windows 10: Beware of these "Easy Password" apps

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    16 Jun 2015 #21

    Fragment said: View Post
    I was referring to the storing location because it was said earlier in the thread that keeping them on a seperate laptop in a secure location would be the safest, which is not true.

    Keeping them only in your head doesnt exclude/prevent the ability to change your password(s) monthly/daily/hourly etc...
    I think I refereed to storing them in you head.. didn't I?? And I didn't say anything about storing passwords on a separate computer... I use paper. Old school.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    16 Jun 2015 #22

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I think I refereed to storing them in you head.. didn't I?? And I didn't say anything about storing passwords on a separate computer... I use paper. Old school.
    jimbo said like 5 posts ago that the safest way is to store passwords on a laptop, and close this laptop away.

    i directly quoted him and said that storing passwords in your head only is safer.

    then you quoted me and stated something about password expiration times, which doesnt have anything to do with what jimbo and me were debating about (-> password storage locations).

    my statement that storing passwords in your head only is 100% correct standing alone as it is.
    i didnt mention anything of not letting passwords expire or letting them expire. this is another aspect of password security.
    so i was just surprised that your post came along like you wanted to correct me. which you cant, because i wasnt making any statements about password change times at all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Jun 2015 #23

    Fragment said: View Post
    jimbo said like 5 posts ago that the safest way is to store passwords on a laptop, and close this laptop away.

    i directly quoted him and said that storing passwords in your head only is safer.

    then you quoted me and stated something about password expiration times, which doesnt have anything to do with what jimbo and me were debating about (-> password storage locations).

    my statement that storing passwords in your head only is 100% correct standing alone as it is.
    i didnt mention anything of not letting passwords expire or letting them expire. this is another aspect of password security.
    so i was just surprised that your post came along like you wanted to correct me. which you cant, because i wasnt making any statements about password change times at all.
    No.. I had no intent in contacting you or discussing this with you. I just made a point that frequent password changes is best and for me I like to keep them on paper. But.. YMMV.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    16 Jun 2015 #24

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    No.. I had no intent in contacting you or discussing this with you. I just made a point that frequent password changes is best and for me I like to keep them on paper. But.. YMMV.

    Jeff
    Quoting me in first place then doesn't exactly underline the intention of not wanting to react on my statement.
    I was of the opinion that a discussion board actually is the place where replies (especially those with a quote from another user) to topics automatically become part of a discussion. Else you could just talk to yourself, right? But well everyone crafts his own world.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    17 Jun 2015 #25

    Fragment said: View Post
    jimbo said like 5 posts ago that the safest way is to store passwords on a laptop, and close this laptop away.

    i directly quoted him.

    .......................l.

    I'm not sure I said anything about LAPTOPS -- this is what I actually POSTED. :

    I'm of the old school-- a black notebook hidden away in a reasonably inaccessible place seems the best (and "Lowest tech") solution of all.

    By NOTEBOOK I meant an old fashioned PAPER notebook -- I see these days words have a habit of changing their meaning or being mis-interpreted -- I suppose a Notebook can mean a PC these days however from the contextual sense of the Post I think it was pretty obvious what I meant. !!!!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    17 Jun 2015 #26

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    I'm not sure I said anything about LAPTOPS -- this is what I actually POSTED. :

    I'm of the old school-- a black notebook hidden away in a reasonably inaccessible place seems the best (and "Lowest tech") solution of all.

    By NOTEBOOK I meant an old fashioned PAPER notebook -- I see these days words have a habit of changing their meaning or being mis-interpreted -- I suppose a Notebook can mean a PC these days however from the contextual sense of the Post I think it was pretty obvious what I meant. !!!!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Haha, yeah well that's a funny ambiguity indeed! Well I really thought you mean laptop by notebook.

    Doesn't matter anyways because my statement is still true. Not having any additional media (old school or new school) with your password(s) is the safest thing. Learn to remember them in your head and you have the safest solution because by using an additional storage (sheet of paper, "notebook", laptop, smartphone, etc) you put in one weak link into the chain.

    The chain consists best of your brain and the system you enter the password to access it.

    To be accurate though. A laptop, as in portable personal computer, with all passwords stored on it in an encrypted vault and then locked away in the "reasonably inaccessible place" you speak of is still safer than a "notebook", as in diary, or sheet of paper with the passwords written on it kept in the same place.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 14,874
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       17 Jun 2015 #27

    The chain consists best of your brain and the system you enter the password to access it.
    On both sides of my family we have Alzheimer's, even if I forgot where the written passwords were, I would eventually find them, not if they get lost in my brain.(Devils Advocate)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    17 Jun 2015 #28

    Fragment said: View Post
    Technically, the most secure is your head only.
    Of course. If you dont trust your own memorization capabilities...then you have a problem or if you are not able to estimate them...
    I think with advancing years (luckily I'm hoping I'm many years away from that point), and certain illnesses, people's memory capability can get worse, so there does need to be a better way for passwords than just trying to remember them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    17 Jun 2015 #29

    Hi there

    Biological methods are one possible scenario - but I'm sure we've all seen some Hollywood movies where they "Bad Guys" cut off thumbs, eyes etc to fox the biological detector.

    Probably the safest way would be to have a DNA scanner and reader --not sure how practicable one of those would be. However at the present time with our current state of technology this would probably be the safest method as DNA is unique or so rare that more than one individual has identical DNA that you could ignore any matches.

    I think that even Identical Twins don't have exact DNA copies. Obviously they'd share most of it - but 100% identical ??

    http://geneticsawareness.org/learn-a...ally-identical

    Any Biologists / Doctors here --I'm an Engineer so I could probably understand how this stuff is measured or even how one would create a machine to measure it -- but exactly what I'd be measuring !!! over to others.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    17 Jun 2015 #30

    Cliff S said: View Post
    On both sides of my family we have Alzheimer's, even if I forgot where the written passwords were, I would eventually find them, not if they get lost in my brain.(Devils Advocate)
    sorry for you and your family then.
    as you live in germany, i will let you know that about 1.2 million people there suffer from alzheimer, of which 95% are older than 60.
    with germany having like what? 80 million? inhabitants that makes 1.5% of germans not fit for using the method of remembering passwords as safest method (well it would still be safest... but also not practical if they themself forget it right after setting it )

    that on the other hand leaves 98.5% of the inhabitants able to remember passwords in their head.
    and even if not all the 98.5% are fit to remember because of other diseases like dementia.
    the BIG majority of people from 6 - 60 are definitely eligible to use their brains to store passwords.
    and for those people who can do it, it stays the most safest way.

    again sorry for your family not being able to be part of that.



    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Biological methods are one possible scenario - but I'm sure we've all seen some Hollywood movies where they "Bad Guys" cut off thumbs, eyes etc to fox the biological detector.

    Probably the safest way would be to have a DNA scanner and reader --not sure how practicable one of those would be. However at the present time with our current state of technology this would probably be the safest method as DNA is unique or so rare that more than one individual has identical DNA that you could ignore any matches.

    I think that even Identical Twins don't have exact DNA copies. Obviously they'd share most of it - but 100% identical ??

    http://geneticsawareness.org/learn-a...ally-identical

    Any Biologists / Doctors here --I'm an Engineer so I could probably understand how this stuff is measured or even how one would create a machine to measure it -- but exactly what I'd be measuring !!! over to others.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    there are different kinds of twins. monocygotic twins technically have 100% same DNA.
    BUT! through punctual mutations during their lives the DNA changes and those punctual mutations can be found if you have extracted and visualized the complete DNA of each of the twins. so in the end they start with the same DNA at insemination and from then on punctual mutations may apppear.
    by the way, although monocygotic twins basically have the same DNA (or lets be accurate "start with the same DNA") they dont have the same fingerprints. EVEN if there were no punctual mutations!!!

    and to your method - you mean DNA scans instead of fingerprint scans?
    i mean both can be tricked.
    DNA through acquiring sweat, urine, hair, spit or semen of the person with access
    fingerprints through... well we all know that anyway cuz of CSI:Miami
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Is there any way to delete these system folders. I don't use them, and I never will. If I delete them though, they are simply re-created. Thanks
I know there are numerous "good" reasons why the Easy Transfer tool was done away with by Microsoft, and I am not here to debate those reasons or re-hash discussions on these reasons. What I want to know is the following: Is the tool likely...
Hi In Windows 10, how I do not display the "Life at a glance" and "Play and explore" columns of the Start menu? Thanks Bye
Hi, I'm having an issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas on what to do about it. Some desktop apps are missing from the "All apps" section of the Start menu. Most programs are there, but I'd say 10-15% are missing. Apps that are...
Just installed win10 (build 10130) last night onto my Asus laptop. I upgraded from Win 7 Home. There was only 1 user on Win7, me, system admin. On the first upgrade, after attaching my profile to my Windows account, after the first reboot, I could...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:32.
Find Us