Windows 10: Does the latest build install universal apps after first logon?

  1.    06 Jun 2015 #1

    Does the latest build install universal apps after first logon?


    In past builds, universal apps were always installed during a user's first logon to the system. So when you see the "Preparing" message during the logon process, it was installing the universal apps, among other first-logon activities.

    In 10130, it appears to me that universal apps are actually installed after the user gets to the desktop. At least, when I have created a few new users, I couldn't use many universal apps for several minutes after logging on the first time. The tiles for the apps were grayed out. Then, all of a sudden a few minutes later, the apps were working.

    Has this been anyone else's experience?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    07 Jun 2015 #2

    I went into the Settings > Installed Apps where it shows the installed Apps and what size they are. I wanted to uninstall a couple and noticed Apps being added while I watched that screen. One at a time every few seconds a new tile/app would pop up in the list. This was after it had calculated all the sizes etc and displayed the apps. I was scrolling through the list as new apps were being installed. This was the first or second time logging in right after doing an upgrade from Windows 7. I don't remember what the apps were but they weren't ones I had installed on other PC manually. It wasn't the sync function as far as I could tell.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    07 Jun 2015 #3

    That definitely adds credence to the theory.

    I wonder if this is a way Microsoft is trying to make first logins faster? Of course, it doesn't help much if you have to wait just as long to use any apps. Might as well keep the old behavior, as at least it's more predictable.

    I still wish Microsoft allowed for system-wide apps, like Win32 apps can be installed. That way, it gets installed once for all users.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       07 Jun 2015 #4

    loosus456 said: View Post
    In past builds, universal apps were always installed during a user's first logon to the system. So when you see the "Preparing" message during the logon process, it was installing the universal apps, among other first-logon activities.

    In 10130, it appears to me that universal apps are actually installed after the user gets to the desktop. At least, when I have created a few new users, I couldn't use many universal apps for several minutes after logging on the first time. The tiles for the apps were grayed out. Then, all of a sudden a few minutes later, the apps were working.

    Has this been anyone else's experience?
    I think the base uni Apps get installed and as of 10.0.130, then automatic updates kick in. The inactive (greyed out) apps have an pending update or an update in progress. When Win10 goes live, the number of base Apps requiring an update should be 0.

    Best guess on my part - no citation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    07 Jun 2015 #5

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I went into the Settings > Installed Apps where it shows the installed Apps and what size they are. I wanted to uninstall a couple and noticed Apps being added while I watched that screen. One at a time every few seconds a new tile/app would pop up in the list. This was after it had calculated all the sizes etc and displayed the apps. I was scrolling through the list as new apps were being installed. This was the first or second time logging in right after doing an upgrade from Windows 7. I don't remember what the apps were but they weren't ones I had installed on other PC manually. It wasn't the sync function as far as I could tell.
    More than likely, these were just apps that were updating to new versions. I noticed yesterday in 10130 that when I went into the Store, that there were something like 15 pending updates for apps...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    07 Jun 2015 #6

    Mystere said: View Post
    More than likely, these were just apps that were updating to new versions. I noticed yesterday in 10130 that when I went into the Store, that there were something like 15 pending updates for apps...
    If they were updating, wouldn't the tile already be there? I'm not sure what was going on, its the first time I've seen that happen. I know on my laptop running Windows 8.1. I'll uninstall a bunch of those pre installed Apps, and then they magically get reinstalled months latter. It's happened several times now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Right, so I've got a laptop that I'm currently trying to install windows 10 tp onto. It's the exact same model as the one I'm running on (it's my brothers, and I'm trying to fix it for him), but I've hit a snag. The insider program website says...
Read more: First look at the new universal MSN apps for Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central
Source: What’s New in Visual Studio Tools for Universal Windows Apps
One thing that didn't get much notice during the Build keynote speech is that Visual Studio 2015 can now build native Objective C apps and target Windows Universal, including the iOS libraries. Apparently, King Games used this to bring Candy Crush...
Read more: Goodbye, Metro, Modern and Universal; hello, Windows apps See also (video): Developing for the Windows 10 Device Platform Channel 9
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37.
Find Us