Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jun 2014
    Posts : 4,479
    Windows 10 Pro
       16 Sep 2016 #11

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    actually people being OPEN and say what they are charging for generates MORE business in the long run than people trying to make money by the Back Door.

    I don't disagree with "Money makes the world go round" -- but my beef is that the ways people use to get / earn it -- if our business people run on deceptions etc how can we expect to install decency into our kids etc.

    Running a Business (or even several) is actually a perfectly fine occupation -- you don't have to resort to subterfuge and deception to run successful businesses.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    All businesses have there sneaky ways to make a larger profit from customers than most customers intended to spend. Ever wonder why the stores put candy close to the checkouts? A lot of children will see the candy and carry on until mom\pop buys them some candy. Store just made extra money that the parent wasn't planning on spending. It's the same theory behind rearranging the store. Customer becomes familiar with the store and goes right to the product the want to buy. By changing the store around the customer has to look around the store to find the items they want. In the process they see other things and before they know it their buying more than they intended. Buy one get second one at a discount is another trick stores use to get customers to spend more money than they intended. Another trick that some stores pull is to raise the price on a item then put it on sale at the original price. The customer thinks they are getting a discount and buy it at the same price they originally thought was to expensive. As for some web pages, they make money by tricking users to clink on links that pay them for every click. There all kinds of tricks business use make money from customers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    17 Sep 2016 #12

    Winuser said: View Post
    All businesses have there sneaky ways to make a larger profit from customers than most customers intended to spend. Ever wonder why the stores put candy close to the checkouts? A lot of children will see the candy and carry on until mom\pop buys them some candy. Store just made extra money that the parent wasn't planning on spending. It's the same theory behind rearranging the store. Customer becomes familiar with the store and goes right to the product the want to buy. By changing the store around the customer has to look around the store to find the items they want. In the process they see other things and before they know it their buying more than they intended. Buy one get second one at a discount is another trick stores use to get customers to spend more money than they intended. Another trick that some stores pull is to raise the price on a item then put it on sale at the original price. The customer thinks they are getting a discount and buy it at the same price they originally thought was to expensive. As for some web pages, they make money by tricking users to clink on links that pay them for every click. There all kinds of tricks business use make money from customers.
    Hi there

    In the USA it might work like that but in some European / Nordic countries a few supermarket chains pride themselves of NOT putting those sorts of things in front of the checkout and help parents to avoid "Pester Power" --and guess what THOSE supermarkets make MORE money !!!

    Similarly "BOGOF" offers (Buy one - get one free) sales are hugely discouraged as those just incur people wasting almost unbelievable amounts of food !!!

    In some places "Best practices" and Ethical / environmental concerns work better than being as Greedy as possible !!!! -- as I said Businesses can do very nicely indeed by actually treating their customers sensibly.

    Ryanair used to be the WORST airline on the planet and had legendary bad customer service -- it even considered introducing a Charge for using restrooms in the plane !!!! -- they changed their policy on customer service and now getting more customers so it can and does work.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,972
    All kinds
       17 Sep 2016 #13

    As stores are concerned, it all depends on business model. Torontonians would remember "Honest Edd's" store where everything was cheaper but everybody walked out spending more than they planned.
    There was a Penny store (later on Dollar) discount store near my place that always had bins with free stuff they didn't have place for to store any more. "Please, take one or we will have to throw it away".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 16
    Windows
       17 Sep 2016 #14

    There's no such thing as free.
    No such thing.
    When you see a sentence containing the word "free", remove that word and you're one step closer to the truth.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,939
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       17 Sep 2016 #15

    I wouldn't go that far. Right now I'm using some really good software that's free/shareware. For example OpenOffice is free and it's very top notch software.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 839
    Windows 8.1, Win10Pro
       17 Sep 2016 #16

    While I agree that "free" is often misleading, one of the absolutely very best FREE apps is Macrium Reflect. For a while, they encouraged purchasing it by providing options like Boot Entry on the hard drive ONLY in their paid versions. But in this recent version, they now offer even that for free.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jun 2014
    Posts : 4,479
    Windows 10 Pro
       17 Sep 2016 #17

    "In the USA it might work like that but in some European / Nordic countries a few supermarket chains pride themselves of NOT putting those sorts of things in front of the checkout and help parents to avoid "Pester Power" --and guess what THOSE supermarkets make MORE money !!!"


    How did they prove that they make More money?

    Edit: Buy one, Get one free is not the same as Buy one get second one at a discount.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jun 2014
    Posts : 4,479
    Windows 10 Pro
       17 Sep 2016 #18

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. Right now I'm using some really good software that's free/shareware. For example OpenOffice is free and it's very top notch software.
    I agree, There is a lot of great free software. Some great free versions of software include programs such as Macrium Reflect, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and MiniTool Partition Wizard to name a few.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 2,442
    Windows10
       17 Sep 2016 #19

    margrave55 said: View Post
    there's no such thing as free.
    No such thing.
    When you see a sentence containing the word "free", remove that word and you're one step closer to the truth.
    tanstaafl
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jun 2014
    Posts : 4,479
    Windows 10 Pro
       17 Sep 2016 #20

    cereberus said: View Post
    tanstaafl
    Bing lookup didn't like that phrase. It took me 4 tries before Bing stopped crashing this web page.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Free NAS Monitoring Software
I have had my NAS for a few weeks now. I am puzzled as to why its lights are always flashing even when theres no scheduled backup taking place or when all the computers in the house are turned off. I would like to be able to monitor IPs and file...
Network and Sharing
Free leak- free peek- free fun for all
Now I'd like to haggle price! I haven't seen a word yet on pricing for Win10 except it's free for owners of Win7 or Win8 and you make the change within one year of the final release date. Now for the fine print.............. I own two copies of...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:49.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums