Computer tries to start program that's no longer installed.


  1. Posts : 5
    Win 10
       #1

    Computer tries to start program that's no longer installed.


    First off, I want to say that this is not a problem, but only an annoyance.

    After upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 on my sister-in-law's laptop, the computer tries to start up this program about every 2 minutes:
    Computer tries to start program that's no longer installed.-error1.jpg
    As you can see, it is no longer installed, so maybe it was a toolbar or some such that was attached to Internet Explorer, and was abandoned with the upgrade. I really don't know. That path no longer exists. I suspect that it's calling some kind of malware. I have done deep scans with both Windows Defender (lots of malware found) then Malwarebytes (no malware found) I have been unable to find where this program is being called from. It's not being called with the normal startup programs and I've looked at the start up programs called up from the registry (using regedit32) also, but I suspect it is indeed being called from the registry and there is probably more than one place to look, but I don't know where that is.
    If anyone has some insight into how to get rid of this annoyance, I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
      My Computer

  2. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 6,108
    windows 10
       #2

    Welcome to the forum. Check to see if it's running as a task
      My Computer

  3. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 19,074
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #3

    Autoruns from the Microsoft Sysinternals suite can be used to remove this.
    Instructions on using for this type of problem here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/p...a-d02161d8bc19
      My Computers

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,555
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #4

    Bree said:
    Autoruns from the Microsoft Sysinternals suite can be used to remove this.
    Instructions on using for this type of problem here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/p...a-d02161d8bc19
    Just a quick add.... AUTORUNS must be executed with Admin Privileges or it will error. TC
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 5
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Samuria said:
    Welcome to the forum. Check to see if it's running as a task
    Correction:

    Yes! You were exactly right!

    Thanks for the welcome as well as the quick reply. I checked the task scheduler with the help of Microsoft Sysinternals, as suggested by Bree, and was able to delete this as well as other tasks that were pointing to items that were no longer installed. Thanks for the suggestion. Spot on!
    Last edited by Asymmetric; 08 Sep 2016 at 16:25.
      My Computer

  6. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,555
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #6

    Asymmetric said:
    Thanks for the welcome as well as the quick reply. I checked the tasks and this is not one of them. Next, I'm going to install Microsoft Sysinternals, as suggested by Bree. This looks promising.
    You really don't need the entire suite, just Autoruns.


    Autoruns for Windows
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 5
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Bree said:
    Autoruns from the Microsoft Sysinternals suite can be used to remove this.
    Instructions on using for this type of problem here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/p...a-d02161d8bc19
    Thanks for the suggestion! It worked fantastically, as you knew it would.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 5
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    f14tomcat said:
    You really don't need the entire suite, just Autoruns.


    Autoruns for Windows

    Thank you for your suggestions. It never hurts to have fun tools to play with.
      My Computer

  9. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,555
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #9

    Asymmetric said:
    Thank you for your suggestions. It never hurts to have fun tools to play with.
    You like fun tools? This makes a breeze out of installing suites of progs that come in ZIP format. Or any prog that comes as a ZIP. Does all the hard work for you. Been using it for years.


    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/zipinst.html
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 5
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    f14tomcat said:
    You like fun tools? This makes a breeze out of installing suites of progs that come in ZIP format. Or any prog that comes as a ZIP. Does all the hard work for you. Been using it for years.


    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/zipinst.html
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums