Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1.    20 Aug 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 292
    Windows 10 Pro

    Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!!


    My friends have already made their suggestions. I am performing a clean install of Windows 10. Most of you have what you consider programs that are very valuable to you and would be just as valuable to many other users - including me. What better place to ask but in this forum!! If you have a program that helps your computer run better or it's a program that has a use for the general population, please take the time to post the names of those programs here. Anyone interested in a program can look it up on their browser - so just the program's name please. Of course, if you want to elaborate on how it helps you, please go ahead. I'll post my favorites when this post is fully answered. Thank you very much...........
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    20 Aug 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 29
    Win10

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisko View Post
    My friends have already made their suggestions. I am performing a clean install of Windows 10. Most of you have what you consider programs that are very valuable to you and would be just as valuable to many other users - including me. What better place to ask but in this forum!! If you have a program that helps your computer run better or it's a program that has a use for the general population, please take the time to post the names of those programs here. Anyone interested in a program can look it up on their browser - so just the program's name please. Of course, if you want to elaborate on how it helps you, please go ahead. I'll post my favorites when this post is fully answered. Thank you very much...........
    I run the following on all my systems:

    - Windows 10 Firewall Control (from Sphinx Software. Allows for control of the Windows firewall easily and can prevent programs from "phoning home")

    - WinPatrol (tracks changes to start menu, etc.)

    - Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free (good addition to virus checkers)

    - 8GadgetPack (bring back the gadgets like digital clock, CPU usage, Network meter, etc.)

    - Chrome browser and the following extensions: WoT (Web of Trust), HTTPS Anywhere, uBlock Origin, Disable HTML5 Autoplay

    - MPC-HC (for playing video and music)

    - IrfanView (for viewing and simple editing of pictures)

    - Macrium Reflect Free (for imaging and restoring system)

    - 7-Zip (for decoding everything from ZIP to RAR)

    - CCleaner (for cleaning up temp files and unused register entries)

    That is the basic set I use and recommend. I use the free versions of all of the above. I'm sure folks here have a load of others.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    20 Aug 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    The only thing I can add is to not use CCleaner for registry cleaning. There's no proof that it helps out. Use it for other cleaning tasks.

    My 2c
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    20 Aug 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 29
    Win10

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    The only thing I can add is to not use CCleaner for registry cleaning. There's no proof that it helps out. Use it for other cleaning tasks.

    My 2c
    While I agree that registry cleaning is mostly useless, if someone is going to do it, everything I've read says that CCleaner is the least harmful. Since folks still insist on doing it, I thought I'd add that it does registry cleaning.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    20 Aug 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchaft View Post
    While I agree that registry cleaning is mostly useless, if someone is going to do it, everything I've read says that CCleaner is the least harmful. Since folks still insist on doing it, I thought I'd add that it does registry cleaning.
    I agree that if someone want to do that CCleaner is the best of all of the tools to use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    20 Aug 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 20
    Windows 10

    Some apps I install, free too!

    - Firefox - web browser with the uBlock Origin add on.

    - LibreOffice

    - CDBurner XP

    - VLC

    - Oracle Java

    - Adobe Flash

    - Adobe Acrobat Reader

    - Thunderbird
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    20 Aug 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 292
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Thank you folks!! I already use about a half of those programs listed. However, I will review the other ones for applicability on my system. Some of them sound very useful and I had not heard of them before. Thanks again!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 Aug 2016 #8
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 1
    Dual Boot 10 Pro v1607 10 Pro rs2 build 14971

    Two other free programs that I use: Rufus- to create bootable USB drives, and Mini tool partition wizard.
    Last edited by JohnC; 20 Aug 2016 at 21:12. Reason: Can't type
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 Aug 2016 #9
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,136
    Windows 10 Professional

    Winaero Tweaker - not because it makes the PC run an better but it makes the OS look and behave the way I want it to.

    Firefox - that's a no brainer!

    WMP, VLC and Foobar - media player assortment

    Greenshot - 3rd party screen capture, a must!

    WinRAR or Free RAR EXtract Frog - compression utilities

    also, a decent office suite, (haven't settled on one)

    then there are necessities specific to ones system,

    and of course... 'toys'/games........

    I could go on........
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    20 Aug 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 292
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Please go on - but I don't play games. Mostly, I like to communicate with others and tinker with my hardware and software. I just love computers and always have.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Lots of programs are missing from the Programs & Features list
Just noticed when I was about to upgrade one of my applications by starting to uninstall the current version that it wasn't no longer in the list of installed programs and lots of other programs are gone too. Did some Google searching for this...
Software and Apps
Speaker Suggestions ?
Hello, Want to purchase a pair of "small" desktop speakers for my desktop pc. One to go on each side of monitor. Don't want a woofer. But, am hard of hearing, so would need something with a decent amount of volume. This is an important...
Drivers and Hardware
Chat programs (Skype Curse, etc.) mute other programs when in call?
I'm trying to use Curse ( a chat program very much like Skype) with my friends so we can all play and talk to each other. Unfortunately, whenever I'm in a call, all programs except the chat program are muted. This is very frustrating for games where...
Software and Apps
Program suggestions
Hello, I am not too sure if this the correct sub-forum to post this in. I'm looking for more programs that are 'MUST HAVE' for Windows, I currently use CCleaner and Driver Booster, is their any program suggestions that you have?
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:12.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums