1. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 2
    windows 10
       09 Aug 2016 #1

    Lost data wordpad, any way to recover it?


    I never use wordpad, but recently recieved an email response with a wordpad doc attatched. I wanted to respond to a number of points in this doc, so I decided to start writing within the doc I had opened at the top of the conversation, instead of writing in a new one.

    I clicked "save" multiple times throughout the day but didnt get it finished, so did one final save and turned off the PC. Today when I open that doc back up, its just the original and nothing has been edited or saved at all!! I might have also clicked "save as" aswell, but I cant really find a different save name. Is there any way at all to recover this? I will try literally anythying!! Thanks...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       09 Aug 2016 #2

    SaltySeadog1 said: View Post
    I never use wordpad, but recently recieved an email response with a wordpad doc attatched. I wanted to respond to a number of points in this doc, so I decided to start writing within the doc I had opened at the top of the conversation, instead of writing in a new one.

    I clicked "save" multiple times throughout the day but didnt get it finished, so did one final save and turned off the PC. Today when I open that doc back up, its just the original and nothing has been edited or saved at all!! I might have also clicked "save as" aswell, but I cant really find a different save name. Is there any way at all to recover this? I will try literally anythying!! Thanks...
    If it wasn't saved, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

    Try searching in File Explorer

    type a period in the search box - that is a wildcard and should return all files
    Then click the date modified column to sort
    then scroll down to the files and look for a txt or rft file with a stamp of yesterday

    You could also sort by type and look at the txt and rft groups.

    I don;t know what you saved as, but those are common types
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 111
    Win 7
       10 Aug 2016 #3

    welcome . i think this topic will help you http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1f36cf8?auth=1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       10 Aug 2016 #4

    Wait-a-minit ... if you saved as then the file is just a different name. Once you save as subsequent saves go to that file, not the original.

    If you open the blue File menu in Wordpad, are there any files in the Recent pane (right)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	95388
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 2
    windows 10
       10 Aug 2016 #5

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Wait-a-minit ... if you saved as then the file is just a different name. Once you save as subsequent saves go to that file, not the original.

    If you open the blue File menu in Wordpad, are there any files in the Recent pane (right)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	95388
    Cheers for the help everyone.

    I have tried this suggestion, and im pretty sure I did save the file using "save as" under a different name than the original, problem is I also created abot 10 more trying to fix the problem and have confused myself a little! Anyway im almost certain Im trying to open the right document, but when I click on it, wordpad wont open it and just stays stuck in a loading and unresponsive state. I can open every other doc just fine, but just not this one! Murphys law in full swing...

    Edit: Not sure if its relevant, but im getting a banner that pops up when I open other documents stating "Wordpad does not support all of the features of this documents format, some content might be missing or displayed imroperly" Could this have something to do with it? Thanks again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       11 Aug 2016 #6

    SaltySeadog1 said: View Post
    .....
    Edit: Not sure if its relevant, but im getting a banner that pops up when I open other documents stating "Wordpad does not support all of the features of this documents format, some content might be missing or displayed imroperly" Could this have something to do with it? Thanks again.
    Many applications can read or write in differnt formats, the banner is only telling you that a non-native Wordpad format might not be fully represented in Wordpad. It's normal.

    Curiousity -> What is the file extension or filetype of the file that gives you the banner.

    Try File Explorer search

    Navigate to This PC
    Copy the following line and paste it in the search box

    Date:‎08/‎09/‎16 .. ‎08/‎10/‎16 kind:=Document

    Click the Type column heading to sort by type, then let the search cook.

    Look at the document types that Wordpad can save as

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	95431

    You might find it that way - best of luck ... I'm out of ideas

    Bill
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Recover unsaved wordpad document?
ooops i clicked no instead of cancel while trying to save a document... the computer didnt crash or anything and hasnt been rebooted since. is this file by any chance recoverable?
Software and Apps
Solved Recover Data After Ubuntu Use
Hello guys, its all abou my server PC, i have total 2HDD, and they were used on Ubuntu Server, i have switched to windows, i want my data back, what to do ? sorry for my Bad English :( :huh:
General Support
Recover lost partitions and data
I appreciate the help with this issue. I did something stupid, I freely admit that. Now I need help to fix the problem. My laptop running Windows 10 updated to the latest build and would not boot. I kept getting Missing boot manager missing....
Performance & Maintenance
How can i recover lost partition and data in it
I was running win 7 with 4 partitions , thought to upgrade to win 10. While installing it didn't allowed me to install. I thought i can run diskpart clean on one partition, selected one volume and ran clean command, but it still cleaned all the...
Installation and Setup
Recover data from RAW disk?
Hello all! I had Windows 10 Enterprise on a ssd 480gb sandisk ultra II but It's corrupted, I can't even launch Windows or repair tools. I've managed to run repair tools and get a command prompt, as diskpart says, my disk is on a raw partition...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums