1. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Education
       04 Aug 2016 #1

    Cortana in education removed...Can it be re-enabled?


    Hello I'm running windows 10 education and the anniversary update wrecked two things I regularly use

    RDP ( fixed now they updated app version last night )

    Cortana...yes I know i'm weird right now all people want to do is disable her but I used it alot. Only in education its been disabled, is there a way to turn it back on. I've looked in registry and there are a bunch of flags not present in any i've found searching for an aswer. Your help is greatly appreciated!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cortanaregistry.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	94112
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Education
       04 Aug 2016 #2

    I've tried comparing and renaming ones that aren't listed in the pro version, no joy so far. Any suggestions or ideas?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,409
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       04 Aug 2016 #3

    maxatv said: View Post
    Hello I'm running windows 10 education and the anniversary update wrecked two things I regularly use

    RDP ( fixed now they updated app version last night )

    Cortana...yes I know i'm weird right now all people want to do is disable her but I used it alot. Only in education its been disabled, is there a way to turn it back on. I've looked in registry and there are a bunch of flags not present in any i've found searching for an aswer. Your help is greatly appreciated!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cortanaregistry.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	94112
    Unfortunately, it appears MS has removed it from Educational release. Read here about 1 page down...

    Windows 10 Education

    Windows 10 Education builds on Windows 10 Enterprise and provides the enterprise-grade manageability and security desired by many schools. Windows 10 Education is effectively a variant of Windows 10 Enterprise that provides education-specific default settings, including the removal of Cortana1. These default settings disable tips, tricks and suggestions & Windows Store suggestions. More detailed information on these default settings is available in Manage Windows 10 and Windows Store tips, tricks and suggestions.



    Windows 10 editions for education customers



      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Education
       04 Aug 2016 #4

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Unfortunately, it appears MS has removed it from Educational release. Read here about 1 page down...

    Windows 10 Education

    Windows 10 Education builds on Windows 10 Enterprise and provides the enterprise-grade manageability and security desired by many schools. Windows 10 Education is effectively a variant of Windows 10 Enterprise that provides education-specific default settings, including the removal of Cortana1. These default settings disable tips, tricks and suggestions & Windows Store suggestions. More detailed information on these default settings is available in Manage Windows 10 and Windows Store tips, tricks and suggestions.



    Windows 10 editions for education customers



    Thanks for the reply! I did see that, but I know Cortana isn't removed. It is still there, the files are still there, registry keys and when I booted up the first time and then the first time with RDP cortana appears briefly with the microphon in the search bar before dissapearing. Got to be a way in settings to bypass the disable? Or at least make is so the search bar shows more than just local files like can search the internet etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,209
    Windows 10 IoT
       05 Aug 2016 #5

    She may be there so you can upgrade editions from Education to Enterprise? I can go from Home to Pro with a product key change. No install media needed, the files/features are already there and unlocked. I can go from Pro to Education with a change product key too. Enterprise to Education too which surprised me. I have no idea if you can go from Education to Pro though? I haven't tried it. Any of these edition changes require a valid product code or digital entitlement, or they won't activate.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,409
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       05 Aug 2016 #6

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    She may be there so you can upgrade editions from Education to Enterprise? I can go from Home to Pro with a product key change. No install media needed, the files/features are already there and unlocked. I can go from Pro to Education with a change product key too. Enterprise to Education too which surprised me. I have no idea if you can go from Education to Pro though? I haven't tried it. Any of these edition changes require a valid product code or digital entitlement, or they won't activate.
    That's very likely. With some minor exceptions, all the code is there, just disabled. Like Win 7 Pro ---> Win 7 Ultimate, just pop in a key. All the necessary components may not already be there and will DL on activation. That's probably why he's seeing the reg keys and some of the files....just the backbone stuff.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,209
    Windows 10 IoT
       05 Aug 2016 #7

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    That's very likely. With some minor exceptions, all the code is there, just disabled. Like Win 7 Pro ---> Win 7 Ultimate, just pop in a key. All the necessary components may not already be there and will DL on activation. That's probably why he's seeing the reg keys and some of the files....just the backbone stuff.
    I've done the Home to Pro with no Internet Connection and didn't get any prompts for install media. I haven't bothered to unplug when going from say Pro to Education or Enterprise. It happens pretty quickly and as far as I can tell nothing was downloaded. Not from what I saw on screen anyway. As always YMMV. My installs were done with my MSDN ISO's, not sure if the MCT ISO's are different.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Education watermark
So I just installed Windows 10 Education, it's up to date and activated, but I have a watermark next to clock, will it be there forever?
Windows Updates and Activation
Cortana not enabled - region Australia, language English
As you can see below, Cortana will not enable despite Australia and English being selected. I am 100% up to date on updates. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13649456/screenshots/Screenshot%202015-11-20%2012.18.25.png...
Software and Apps
Windows 10 Pro vs Education
So I recently discovered that I can get a copy of Windows 10 Education from my school for free, and I was wondering if that would be a good upgrade. I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro, but based on the few comparison tables I could find Education...
General Support
Windows 10 Education
I work two I.T. jobs. One of them is in a college I.T. department. So, naturally, when I heard about Windows 10 Education, I wanted to find out more. Mainly, the question that popped into my mind was, "Could this be a good system to upgrade to from...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums