Windows 10: Office subscription Solved


  1. Posts : 1,379
    Windows 10 64 bit
       10 Jul 2016 #1

    Office subscription


    OK boys can you help me out here. I've received the email today about the renewal for my subscription to Office 365. We can't afford it especially as we only really use Excel with the occasional use of Word, although I use OneNote quite a bit.

    When I took it out I got a half price offer, I have Office Home and Student 2007 on this Asus Notebook. On hubby's desktop and laptop plus my desktop we have Office Home and Student 2010. We didn't uninstall any of them when we upgraded so will that mean it will revert back to those copies and are they OK on Windows 10 ?

    I'm hoping that is what will happen when I go and cancel the subscription, can anyone put my mind at rest about this, thanks ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,211
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       10 Jul 2016 #2

    Joan Archer said: View Post
    OK boys can you help me out here. I've received the email today about the renewal for my subscription to Office 365. We can't afford it especially as we only really use Excel with the occasional use of Word, although I use OneNote quite a bit.

    When I took it out I got a half price offer, I have Office Home and Student 2007 on this Asus Notebook. On hubby's desktop and laptop plus my desktop we have Office Home and Student 2010. We didn't uninstall any of them when we upgraded so will that mean it will revert back to those copies and are they OK on Windows 10 ?

    I'm hoping that is what will happen when I go and cancel the subscription, can anyone put my mind at rest about this, thanks ?
    But then there are a few girls here too.

    Office 2010 works just fine on Win10. Some folks have success with even older versions at least for the basics [I have Office 2000 on the Insider Preview of Win10]. If there are problems a quite nice Free program exists, LibreOffice.org. It is compatible with Office file formats except it doesn't have something to replace Outlook or Publisher.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    10 Jul 2016 #3

    You can always use the Windows Store versions of Word and Excel. They are called Word and Excel Mobile, but they work fine on the desktop. They are free.

    OneNote comes in two versions, the Mobile and a Desktop, both are free. You can download the desktop OneNote for free from Microsoft.

    The only real thing you would lose is the OneDrive storage.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,379
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       10 Jul 2016 #4

    Berton said: View Post
    But then there are a few girls here too.

    Office 2010 works just fine on Win10. Some folks have success with even older versions at least for the basics [I have Office 2000 on the Insider Preview of Win10]. If there are problems a quite nice Free program exists, LibreOffice.org. It is compatible with Office file formats except it doesn't have something to replace Outlook or Publisher.
    Yes I know we've got girls here as well, an oversight on my part not including them. Thanks for your answers do you know if it will roll back to using them when I cancel the subscription ?

    Mystere said: View Post
    You can always use the Windows Store versions of Word and Excel. They are called Word and Excel Mobile, but they work fine on the desktop. They are free.

    OneNote comes in two versions, the Mobile and a Desktop, both are free. You can download the desktop OneNote for free from Microsoft.

    The only real thing you would lose is the OneDrive storage.
    Thanks I didn't know about the mobile versions, I don't use OneDrive that much so I wouldn't really miss it that much.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,211
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       10 Jul 2016 #5

    Joan Archer said: View Post
    Yes I know we've got girls here as well, an oversight on my part not including them. Thanks for your answers do you know if it will roll back to using them when I cancel the subscription ?
    I've uninstalled the version that came with the computer and not had it mess with the older installed version. As long as you have the disc for either version you should be able to reinstall. According to the EULA for the Retail version, it can be installed on a Workstation and a Portable device in control of the same person, I suppose a husband and wife could be that "person", won't discuss the control part [over 50 yrs experience].
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,379
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       11 Jul 2016 #6

    Berton said: View Post
    I've uninstalled the version that came with the computer and not had it mess with the older installed version. As long as you have the disc for either version you should be able to reinstall. According to the EULA for the Retail version, it can be installed on a Workstation and a Portable device in control of the same person, I suppose a husband and wife could be that "person", won't discuss the control part [over 50 yrs experience].

    No comment here either, although I know what hubby would say.

    I'll see how things go, it doesn't run out till the middle of August but as long as hubby doesn't lose any of his account information there'll be no problems. I'll mark this thread as solved.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Change Office 365 subscription in Software and Apps
Hi, One member of my family who has office 365 Personal subscription on her laptop. She's the first one to try out the office 365. Later, I bought a office 365 home subscription for more than one users. And I was thinking of bringing her across...
I noticed an issue when saving Word docx files on Office 2016. It's slow, I see a progress bar at the bottom right when it saves and it takes about 30 seconds to save. Okay it's large file with a couple hundred pages and a few hundred kb in size but...
Hi there will office 2016 be available as a stand alone (non subscription) product for non corporate users. If I follow my link to Buy Now from the trial preview it only offers me Office 365 or Office 2013. I'm NOT interested in subscription...
Hi there It looks like that a Student and Teacher edition of Office 2016 will be available at around 90 GBP - 105 EUR while an Office 365 subscription will be around 60 GBP - 73 EUR for 1 year. Since the Student edition will work on 3 machines it...
Subscription Basis Only? in General Support
I just read that Win 10 is to be available on a subscription (online downloadable) basis only. If that is true, how does a computer homebuilder (who normally buys a builder's OS DVD to insert upon first boot from the BIOS) install Win 10 since the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:15.
Find Us