Groove Shows Unknown Artist & Unknown Album

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 5,288
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #11

    I solved it by doing the following! I'm not sure which step cracked the problem.


    1. Set indexing to index the content of my music files by right clicking on the top level folder, setting the option and applying to all files and sub-folders
    2. Rebuilt the index via the Control Panel Indexing options
    3. Deleted the folders watched in Groove
    4. Deleted the Groove database at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.ZuneMusic_<random>\LocalState\Database
    5. Started Groove
    6. Reassigned the folders to watch


    All songs now appear with the right artist & album but some album art was missing in Groove and Media Player despite being displayed correctly in iTunes. I manually updated the missing album art in Media Player and Groove then synchronised to match the Media Player album art.
    Last edited by Steve C; 12 Jun 2016 at 10:37.
      My Computers

  2. Scottyboy99's Avatar
    Posts : 2,195
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
       #12

    A new groove app update just came through on store - my album art now shows! Might be worth updating to see if it improves for you guys
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 19
    Windows 10 x64 Professional
       #13

    Steve C said:
    I solved it by doing the following! I'm not sure which step cracked the problem.


    1. Set indexing to index the content of my music files by right clicking on the top level folder, setting the option and applying to all files and sub-folders
    2. Rebuilt the index via the Control Panel Indexing options
    3. Deleted the folders watched in Groove
    4. Deleted the Groove database at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.ZuneMusic_<random>\LocalState\Database
    5. Started Groove
    6. Reassigned the folders to watch


    All songs now appear with the right artist & album but some album art was missing in Groove and Media Player despite being displayed correctly in iTunes. I manually updated the missing album art in Media Player and Groove then synchronised to match the Media Player album art.
    This worked! I was playing with disabling indexing since it was interfering with my backup procedures, but it caused this. (What broke it was right clicking the drives and turning off indexing for the whole drive). I'll try some other ways of limiting the indexing. Thanks kindly.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 4
    Win 7 Pro
       #14

    I found this thread because I had the same annoying thing happening - but I solved it simply by using MP3tag to make sure that the "Album Artist" part of the tags was correctly filled in. (You don't have to use that program, but it's quicker than doing each track's "properties... details" individually.) Now everything displays correctly.
      My Computer

  5. Scottyboy99's Avatar
    Posts : 2,195
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
       #15

    Since a few updates back the majority of mine started showing the art but there are a handful that don't for some reason. I am hesitant to start fiddling with tags etc. My music software of choice is iTunes which feeds our phones and iPads via iCloud music library and iTunes Match. Seeing as everything displays perfect on iTunes I'd be concerned that changing metadata could adversely affect iTunes. As much as I'd like groove to do it's job and display correctly I wonder if it's worth the risk!
      My Computer

  6. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,440
    10 Home x64 (2004) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #16

    RGrahamSmith said:
    I found this thread because I had the same annoying thing happening.
    I've never found this thread because, while annoying that Groove doesn't seem to be able to handle this, Windows Media Player can. In WMP I just right-click on the 'unknown album' and choose 'Find album info'. I then get all track listings along with album artwork, which both WMP and Groove now display.
      My Computers


  7. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 15,441
    Windows 10
       #17

    Groove is still screwing up tons of metadata!
    Renders the tracks unplayable!
    Rip your CD's, (yes, I'm still ripping my CD's!!!), in WMP and leave it!!!
      My Computer

  8. Scottyboy99's Avatar
    Posts : 2,195
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
       #18

    Yep, groove is junk. I think MS are abandoning it slowly anyway. I just stick with iTunes. I dislike Apple but at least their music software works. Windows media player also works well still. Legacy (is that what itís called) software is the best. All these modern native apps (uwp?) like films and tv, mail and calendar, groove etc seem to be poor imitations of proper software and too unreliable/prone to breaking. Basically anything served up by the Microsoft store
      My Computer

  9. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 5,288
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #19

    Scottyboy99 said:
    Yep, groove is junk. I think MS are abandoning it slowly anyway. I just stick with iTunes. I dislike Apple but at least their music software works. Windows media player also works well still. Legacy (is that what itís called) software is the best. All these modern native apps (uwp?) like films and tv, mail and calendar, groove etc seem to be poor imitations of proper software and too unreliable/prone to breaking. Basically anything served up by the Microsoft store
    Yes, iTunes is quite good - but I've noticed some of the artist photos are blank and there appears to be no way of updating them.
    Last edited by Steve C; 12 Nov 2017 at 13:57.
      My Computers

  10. Scottyboy99's Avatar
    Posts : 2,195
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
       #20

    that’s a good point. It frustrates me that you cannot update your own artist pics especially when you’ve got one that you know is wrong!
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums