Windows 10: windows dosent defrag drives raided with Mssd

  1.    07 Apr 2015 #1

    windows dosent defrag drives raided with Mssd


    not only in windows 10 but in all windows i always thought that windows was automatically defragging my hard drives and then i turn around and just decided to check with a 3rd party defrag (because my pc boots slow) and theres 65gb of fragmented data!! wtf windows!? now i have defraggler pro taking care of the fragmentation.
    also how many days is defraging 65gb at 7955 files going to take
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    07 Apr 2015 #2

    What is Mssd?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    08 Apr 2015 #3

    mini solid state drive aka acceleration cache drive
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    08 Apr 2015 #4

    I thought ssd drives aren't supposed to be defragged?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    08 Apr 2015 #5

    thats true but my drive is not a ssd its just raided to one and tats not even working in windows 10, if it dosent fix by launch of official windows 10 ill call intel.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 Apr 2015 #6

    You mean an mSATA SSD? I really don't understand what you mean by "raided to one". Googling doesn't seem to provide any relevant hits either, so your terminology is obviously wonky. Can you describe exactly what you are talking about?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    19 May 2015 #7

    Mystere said: View Post
    You mean an mSATA SSD? I really don't understand what you mean by "raided to one". Googling doesn't seem to provide any relevant hits either, so your terminology is obviously wonky. Can you describe exactly what you are talking about?
    Well I use 3rd party defrag app now but for future references.

    Msata is a different external port that some laptops comes with to raw connect a hdd without a enclosure , I don't have that.

    Some laptops come with a slot for a msata, (looks just like a wifi port in the laptop) for use for a mssd (mini solid state drive) they are about the same physical size of a wifi card. And of you have one configured (and comes so by default) a mssd drive is not counted as a second disk drive but is combined with the hdd. For use as a cache drive aka acceleration drive. And as you may already know raid means combining multiple drives to act as one so in the case of my laptop the mssd is raided to my hdd but is not ment to be visible or usable for storage (unless you use the Intel app to separate them) but the issue is that because there's technicaly a ssd raided to my hdd windows thinks my whole drive is one ssd so it won't defrag it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    19 May 2015 #8

    xdarkmario said: View Post
    Well I use 3rd party defrag app now but for future references.

    Msata is a different external port that some laptops comes with to raw connect a hdd without a enclosure , I don't have that.

    Some laptops come with a slot for a msata, (looks just like a wifi port in the laptop) for use for a mssd (mini solid state drive) they are about the same physical size of a wifi card. And of you have one configured (and comes so by default) a mssd drive is not counted as a second disk drive but is combined with the hdd. For use as a cache drive aka acceleration drive. And as you may already know raid means combining multiple drives to act as one so in the case of my laptop the mssd is raided to my hdd but is not ment to be visible or usable for storage (unless you use the Intel app to separate them) but the issue is that because there's technicaly a ssd raided to my hdd windows thinks my whole drive is one ssd so it won't defrag it.
    This is simply not true. I have an mSATA drive in this computer, and it's my only drive. It's a 256GB Plextor mSATA. It's just a 6GB/s SATA drive. mSATA2 is 10 or 20GB/s depending on version, but again, it's just SATA directly on the motherboard.

    You seem to be talking about a specific acceleration technology, but this is not mSATA.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    20 May 2015 #9

    Mystere said: View Post
    This is simply not true. I have an mSATA drive in this computer, and it's my only drive. It's a 256GB Plextor mSATA. It's just a 6GB/s SATA drive. mSATA2 is 10 or 20GB/s depending on version, but again, it's just SATA directly on the motherboard.

    You seem to be talking about a specific acceleration technology, but this is not mSATA.
    Ahh I was was confused with "E-sata" that's the external one
    mSATA is the internal one Nicknamed mSSD
    well point being that windows refuses to defrag those a HDD that is Raided to a SSD. So i use Defraggler
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Performance & Maintenance Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Optimize and Defragment Drives in Windows 10 One of the best ways you can improve your PC's performance is by optimizing the drive. Windows includes features to help optimize the different types of drives that PCs use today. No matter...
In Windows 10 I can find disk optimize by using the search engine in settings, and typing in: "Disk defrag and optimize". Or by right clicking the drive in question > Properties > Tools tab. But it doesn't show the folder location. I've...
ok so i just upgraded to windows 10 and i love it so far, but one small thing my mSSD cache drive dosent seem to be working well. its installed and the drivers and bios are setup, and the drive says it's accelerated but not having a effect on my...
Windows 10 TP Hiding Hard Drives? in Drivers and Hardware
Anyone having trouble with Build 10041 hiding Drives? 1552115522
O&O Defrag in Software and Apps
I downloade & installed the trial version of O&O Defragmenter tool. I started a defrag last night at midnight setting it to do a 'Complete/Modfied' which I read is the best drag which will give you a faster boot time (which is what i want). it has...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59.
Find Us