Windows 10: WinToGo Free Version for W10 Pro Solved

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1.    20 Apr 2017 #41

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I just ran Windows To Go on this PC, which is running Education. Kingston DT HyperX 3.0 USB device and got the following message "This is a removable drive and not compatible......". A nice fast USB 3 thumb drive is rejected, but if I plug in my dirt slow 5400 RPM IDE laptop drive in a USB 2 enclosure it will use it.
    Exactly my point - I see no reason with version 1703 why it should reject a nice fast usb flash drive now. Either MS forgot, or it is simple politics as they made a big thing about certified drives and they would get "egg on their face" if they retracted that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    20 Apr 2017 #42

    cereberus said: View Post
    Exactly my point - I see no reason with version 1703 why it should reject a nice fast usb flash drive now. Either MS forgot, or it is simple politics as they made a big thing about certified drives and they would get "egg on their face" if they retracted that.
    Well, I would imagine that manufacturers have to pay Microsoft for the WTG certification of their product....

    Requiring the certification for WTG to work in native Windows would increase demand for WTG certified drives from basically none to just a little bit more than none
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    20 Apr 2017 #43

    wptski said: View Post
    Well, do you remember the "W8 Compatible Drive" logo? Those USB flash drives appear as a local/fixed drive(no eject option) and I have a Sandisk 4GB like that. That was later removed from the drives.

    It was a Kingston 32GB DataTraveler Workspace drive that I returned unopened.

    Some "fixed bit" drives did exist, but the manufacturers pretty much all gave up once the Windows To Go certification standard was introduced.

    Anyway, a 4GB one is pretty useless other than partitioning a couple of winpe or linux installs - you need at least 32GB to be of real use for full Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    20 Apr 2017 #44

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Well, I would imagine that manufacturers have to pay Microsoft for the WTG certification of their product....

    Requiring the certification for WTG to work in native Windows would increase demand for WTG certified drives from basically none to just a little bit more than none
    Yeah. In meantime, use the "Poor Man's Window To Go equivalent" with a much cheaper fast usb drive eg San Cruzer Extreme with Wintousb and accept in theory it is less reliable!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    20 Apr 2017 #45

    cereberus said: View Post
    It is far from useless and meaningless - if you are a businessman, that extra reliability could be important. For my use, I would not spend the money, as my function is to use it for recovery purposes predominantly but also to run one piece of licenced software tat only permits a single install at any one time.
    You need an option do remove the USB drive while is use? I fail to see anything useful for that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    20 Apr 2017 #46

    wptski said: View Post
    You need an option do remove the USB drive while is use? I fail to see anything useful for that.
    Then you do not understand how windows caches writing for usb drives. If it waited until all data was written before doing next activity, it would slow down the drive performance. So if you eject drive before the write cache is clear, it can fail to write data and that data is lost. Drives can get corrupted if critical data. The option is there to ensure the write cache is cleared.

    However, some modern flash drives are very fast, making this less of an issue than historically. Nine+ times out of ten, removing it will not be a problem but Sod's Law says the one time it is supercritical to you is the one time it will fail on you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    20 Apr 2017 #47

    cereberus said: View Post
    Exactly my point - I see no reason with version 1703 why it should reject a nice fast usb flash drive now. Either MS forgot, or it is simple politics as they made a big thing about certified drives and they would get "egg on their face" if they retracted that.
    I was hoping it would now work. On the one hand they want certified drives for reliability, I get that. But then they let you use some old beat up slow as molasses junker drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    20 Apr 2017 #48

    cereberus said: View Post
    Some "fixed bit" drives did exist, but the manufacturers pretty much all gave up once the Windows To Go certification standard was introduced.

    Anyway, a 4GB one is pretty useless other than partitioning a couple of winpe or linux installs - you need at least 32GB to be of real use for full Windows.
    Some SanDisk drives have the bit set. I had a couple of small SanDisk drives that were that way. Way to small for Windows To Go though, 8 gig I think they were.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    20 Apr 2017 #49

    I make a habit of using the safely remove hardware option. I set that Icon to stay visible in task manager.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    20 Apr 2017 #50

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I was hoping it would now work. On the one hand they want certified drives for reliability, I get that. But then they let you use some old beat up slow as molasses junker drive.
    Well I will use Feedback and make this point .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Related Threads
Either a cmd file or registry tweak to:- 1) enable and disable UAC. In Gpedit.msc it is near the bottom and says use Administrator setting for all admin prompts or something and has to be set to disable to turn UAC off and enable to turn UAC on....
WinToGo in Installation and Upgrade
I have .................. Laptop #1............. 32-bit Win 10 Pro Insider Preview build 14271. Laptop #2............ 64-bit Win 10 Home RTM 10586.104. Win 8.1 Pro both 32-bit and 64-bit ISO files ready. I have WinToUSB creator downloaded and...
This one somehow is able to detect and remove many trojans/ malware which Spyware or Spybot does not detect, IOBit Malware fighter and IObit Advance System 9, Symantec Endpoint 12 all somehow can miss most of what Loaris Trojan Killer v1.3.99 finds....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22.
Find Us