Windows 10: annoying issue of "How do you want to open..." Solved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    01 Jun 2016 #1

    annoying issue of "How do you want to open..."


    I the annoying issue of "How do you want to open..." but it wont tell me what the program is that is trying to be opened. Just allowed Windows 10 to do it's upgrade from 7 last week and it wont stop even though I have already entered the apps to use with my normal programs. HELP!!!!!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0232.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	82836
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    01 Jun 2016 #2

    If you don't know what program/file is trying to be opened, then do you mean that some programs automatically run them?

    Try to check if apps are automatically running by themselves. Go to Task Manager>Startup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    02 Jun 2016 #3

    When was this generated? Was it from rt click, Open With, or by some other means - an apparently random popup?
    Do you perhaps mean file, not program?
    'but it wont tell me what the program is that is trying to be opened'
    If so, just try opening it with one of the programs, and then work backwards to find the origin of this prompt.

    If it were Open With, you should have two more entries at the bottom - Search the Store, and Choose another App.

    Note: you will get this prompt when trying to open a file type which was associated, after installing a further registered program that can also open that file type. Annoying, I find.

    Please note that to set your defaults in Win 10, you must do this from the Control Panel, Settings, or Open With- not from within programs- that's not been supported from Win 8.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    02 Jun 2016 #4

    Krimstix said: View Post
    If you don't know what program/file is trying to be opened, then do you mean that some programs automatically run them?

    Try to check if apps are automatically running by themselves. Go to Task Manager>Startup.

    Hello, I do have programs that run in the background looking for ems files. Manager>Startup does show what's running but not what need attention. I can shut down those programs but the screen still pops up. I am running Chrome too if that might be an issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    02 Jun 2016 #5

    It would help you to try to open the file. Then you can see which file the system is attempting to open.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    02 Jun 2016 #6

    dalchina said: View Post
    It would help you to try to open the file. Then you can see which file the system is attempting to open.
    It will not show what file I need to open that is causing the pop up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       02 Jun 2016 #7

    Since you mentioned .ems - try this

    Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    Right click Windows Logo on Taskbar, pick Command Prompt (Admin)

    then enter the following command

    reg query HKCR\.ems /s > %TEMP%\HKCRems.txt

    exit

    Please attach %TEMP%\HKCRems.txt to your next post.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    02 Jun 2016 #8

    Tech Challenged said: View Post
    It will not show what file I need to open that is causing the pop up.
    Hi, is that ('will not') a prediction, a guess, or have you actually tried it? You should have a chance to see the file name I'd have thought.

    And you don't need to open a file yourself.. the file has already been selected and is going to be opened - or at least accessed- by the program you select.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    02 Jun 2016 #9

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, is that ('will not') a prediction, a guess, or have you actually tried it? You should have a chance to see the file name I'd have thought.

    And you don't need to open a file yourself.. the file has already been selected and is going to be opened - or at least accessed- by the program you select.

    Sorry, I should have stated that when this window pops up, it does not tell me what program needs an app assigned to it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    02 Jun 2016 #10

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Since you mentioned .ems - try this

    Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    Right click Windows Logo on Taskbar, pick Command Prompt (Admin)

    then enter the following command

    reg query HKCR\.ems /s > %TEMP%\HKCRems.txt

    exit

    Please attach %TEMP%\HKCRems.txt to your next post.
    "The system is unable to find the registry key or value"
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Hello guys, I don't know what I did, but nothing happens when I click on those two things in the search bar: View image: wtf I reinstalled Windows a few hours ago, and IIRC pressing those with the mouse lead somewhere. Now when I click on...
I have removed the Windows 10 "Libraries" from the navigation pane in Windows Explorer and other Microsoft programs (eg. Notepad), but despite an exhaustive internet search I have been unable to discover how to remove Libraries from navigation panes...
"Windows Defender needs to..." it's annoying... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Hi, friends, Scheduling a task did not avoid this annoying daily notification. How can I stop this? I don't want another antivirus software (I have a legal Karspersky subscription, but it was turning my laptop slow), I simply want WD stopping...
I do have my WiFi internet working, I can access internet all right. But if I go to Windows 10 Settings and then try to open "Network & Internet", it takes forever and it does not load. While that happens, performance temporarily decreases, even...
Hello Community! I am not having the option to choose an app from the PC to open files of unknown type, only to search for an app in the store. Is that normal? If yes, I don't like it, but say I download a file of unknown type, what is the most...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:18.
Find Us