Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       02 Jun 2016 #11

    Tech Challenged said: View Post
    "The system is unable to find the registry key or value"
    Ok, good

    Please provide more information on why you have programs that run in the background looking for ems files
    Do you have a program, app, or application (same things) that you normally open these types of files?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jun 2016
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
       02 Jun 2016 #12

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Ok, good

    Please provide more information on why you have programs that run in the background looking for ems files
    Do you have a program, app, or application (same things) that you normally open these types of files?

    I am in the auto body repair industry and have three different estimating systems we use for estimating cars. Once an estimate is written it gets ems'd into a folder and wait for our management program to look for it or one of two other programs to pick it up from the ems folder and send it electronically for parts ordering. I'm not sure if this might be triggering the pop up but it's the only thing I can think of. When that pop up screen comes up, it would always be right after opening a program. Since the update to Windows 10, I can have normal program closed and it still comes up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       02 Jun 2016 #13

    Thanks,

    I'm not sure if that's the trigger either ... just collecting information.

    When you say it gets ems'd into a folder ... what does ems stand for Estimate Manage System?
    and those estimating systems are programs?

    Please let me know the names of those programs (if you have the website that would be helpful too - if not, don't sweat it) so I can do some background research. There could be any number of things that the programs do and a few blind questions at a time will take a long time. I understand the concept but I have no idea of the exact process that you're using.

    To get rid of the pop-up I'll try to figure out what filetype is causing it. Then assign a program to open it. The filetype .ems is not assigned to any program so that's a good start.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jun 2016
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
       02 Jun 2016 #14

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Thanks,

    I'm not sure if that's the trigger either ... just collecting information.

    When you say it gets ems'd into a folder ... what does ems stand for Estimate Manage System?
    and those estimating systems are programs?

    Please let me know the names of those programs (if you have the website that would be helpful too - if not, don't sweat it) so I can do some background research. There could be any number of things that the programs do and a few blind questions at a time will take a long time. I understand the concept but I have no idea of the exact process that you're using.

    To get rid of the pop-up I'll try to figure out what filetype is causing it. Then assign a program to open it. The filetype .ems is not assigned to any program so that's a good start.
    Ok will this might help: EMS Import and Export Preferences

    The estimating systems are programs by Mitchell International, Pathways- CCCOne, and Audatex.

    The internet programs we use for electronic parts ordering are via sites such as :

    https://toyota.autopartsbridge.com/

    Login - CollisionLink
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       02 Jun 2016 #15

    Thanks - somethings to read
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,569
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       03 Jun 2016 #16

    Tech Challenged said: View Post
    Sorry, I should have stated that when this window pops up, it does not tell me what program needs an app assigned to it.
    I think you mean: it does not tell me what file type needs an app assigned to it.

    That's exactly what we would like to know... so yet again, please tell us what happens if you DO select one of those programs and actually put your mouse pointer over it and click it.

    So what exactly do you see when that popup occurs and you click (e.g.) Microsoft Word? and if nothing useful, try another.. it should tell you sthg about what is triggering the popup.

    Also try following this procedure:
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

    This will help you identify the trigger for this. You wil disable running programs, hopefully get no popups, and progressively enable them until you do. Thus you find out the cause.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jun 2016
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
       03 Jun 2016 #17

    dalchina said: View Post
    I think you mean: it does not tell me what file type needs an app assigned to it.

    That's exactly what we would like to know... so yet again, please tell us what happens if you DO select one of those programs and actually put your mouse pointer over it and click it.

    So what exactly do you see when that popup occurs and you click (e.g.) Microsoft Word? and if nothing useful, try another.. it should tell you sthg about what is triggering the popup.

    Also try following this procedure:
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

    This will help you identify the trigger for this. You wil disable running programs, hopefully get no popups, and progressively enable them until you do. Thus you find out the cause.
    I have chosen each of those options when the window pops up but it just keep coming. When I choose an option from the pop up list it will open that program but then give me the message "C:\ Program Can not find this file. Please verify the correct path and file name are given. I guess I should try the Clean Boot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       03 Jun 2016 #18

    The plot thickens - could you post a screenshot of the error? Often the program trying to open the file shows the filename in the title bar ... or you can look in recent files to get the filename.

    If the .ems file is the culprit - try this (info from the mitchell site - your config might differ, but you know your system better than I do)

    According to Mitchell, the export folder is: C:\CIECA\MITCHELL\EXPORT
    and from what I could gather from your description, you use Mitchell Estimating (aka UltraMate)

    If you use a different package from Mitchell (RepairCenter Shop Management?) then the following is wrong and can be ignored.

    What I'd like to try is to copy a .ems file from teh export folder to another folder - or you can just create a text file with the extension .ems.

    Next, right click the test .ems file and select open with
    You'll have to select another program on this PC
    Navigate to the Mitchel install folder (Programs files or Program Files(x86) \Mitchell ???) and select UltraMate application.
    Also slect always use this application to open this type of file

    All I'm trying to do at this point is associate .ems files with the Mitchell program. This in itself might not be the cause of the how do you want to open issue.

    Lots of guessing bc I don't know where Mitchell gets installed, I'm not even certain I have the correct program.

    Post screenshots of the process from the Open with instruction and up until the .ems filetype is assigned to Mitchell.

    Your previous post says that the file cannot be found - that indicates to me that it is part of your process of moving files when entering and estimate or when ordering parts.

    This is a unique program, so please bear with me as I try to troubleshoot it with you and other members.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,569
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       04 Jun 2016 #19

    Hi, thanks, that message is interesting:
    C:\ Program Can not find this file. Please verify the correct path and file name are given

    What it suggests to me is that a program is trying to open a file whose path contains spaces, but the string specifying the path and filename is not enclosed in ""

    E.g.
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\license.txt
    rather than
    "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\license.txt"

    The first, passed as a parameter, would produce
    C:\ Program
    as per your error msg.

    The clean boot approach should still help you identify the program being launched which does this, if the above is not a sufficient clue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jun 2016
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
       10 Jun 2016 #20

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, is that ('will not') a prediction, a guess, or have you actually tried it? You should have a chance to see the file name I'd have thought.

    And you don't need to open a file yourself.. the file has already been selected and is going to be opened - or at least accessed- by the program you select.
    The guilty party is Login - CollisionLink. There is a program that is downloaded to your computer that searches for newly written estimates every 5 mins. Found out that is the same interval that the pop up screen would show. When the program was disabled, the problem stopped. Only now, I have to keep that program off until I want to use it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Can't open "Windows Update Settings" or "Check for Updates"
Hello guys, I don't know what I did, but nothing happens when I click on those two things in the search bar: View image: wtf I reinstalled Windows a few hours ago, and IIRC pressing those with the mouse lead somewhere. Now when I click on...
Windows Updates and Activation
Removing Libraries from "Open" and "Save as" dialogs in Office 2010
I have removed the Windows 10 "Libraries" from the navigation pane in Windows Explorer and other Microsoft programs (eg. Notepad), but despite an exhaustive internet search I have been unable to discover how to remove Libraries from navigation panes...
Software and Apps
"Windows Defender needs to..." it's annoying...
Hi, friends, Scheduling a task did not avoid this annoying daily notification. How can I stop this? I don't want another antivirus software (I have a legal Karspersky subscription, but it was turning my laptop slow), I simply want WD stopping...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Solved Cannot open "Network & Internet" from Windows 10 "Settings"
I do have my WiFi internet working, I can access internet all right. But if I go to Windows 10 Settings and then try to open "Network & Internet", it takes forever and it does not load. While that happens, performance temporarily decreases, even...
Network and Sharing
"Open with..." not showing possibility for "Another App on this PC"
Hello Community! I am not having the option to choose an app from the PC to open files of unknown type, only to search for an app in the store. Is that normal? If yes, I don't like it, but say I download a file of unknown type, what is the most...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums