Free software to repair hard disk bad sectors Solved

  1.    16 May 2016 #1

    Free software to repair hard disk bad sectors


    Can some one advise the best free software to repair hard disk bad sectors. It should not be a trial version for repairing only one or few bad sectors.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,251
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       16 May 2016 #2

    sam9 said: View Post
    Can some one advise the best free software to repair hard disk bad sectors. It should not be a trial version for repairing only one or few bad sectors.
    I don't have the answer you want, except that I am wondering if you have already run the disk check method built-in for Windows.

    Right click at Start > select Command Prompt (Admin) > in the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.................
    chkdsk f/r
    > Enter.

    You will be told that it cannot perform the command now but if you want to do that on restart.
    Type Y as in "yes" > Enter.
    Restart computer.
    It will take quite some time.
    When completed, it will give you a report.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 May 2016 #3

    I'm assuming the native disk check is sufficient? I've never heard of people using third party software.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    16 May 2016 #4

    davidhk said: View Post
    I don't have the answer you want, except that I am wondering if you have already run the disk check method built-in for Windows.

    Right click at Start > select Command Prompt (Admin) > in the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.................
    chkdsk f/r
    > Enter.

    You will be told that it cannot perform the command now but if you want to do that on restart.
    Type Y as in "yes" > Enter.
    Restart computer.
    It will take quite some time.
    When completed, it will give you a report.
    Already tried but it is hanging at 14% and then boot into Windows without fully checking the disk.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 May 2016 #5

    lhf8 said: View Post
    I'm assuming the native disk check is sufficient? I've never heard of people using third party software.
    Native disk check is hanging at 14% and then booting into Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    16 May 2016 #6

    There isn't any software that can repair physical deficiencies in the hardware (some may hide it, but that's just a temporary solution, the defective disk will deteriorate rapidly in other areas as well).

    If chkdsk can't re-structure the filesystem around the bad bits, it's time to backup what you can and lay it to rest.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    17 May 2016 #7

    Superfly said: View Post
    There isn't any software that can repair physical deficiencies in the hardware (some may hide it, but that's just a temporary solution, the defective disk will deteriorate rapidly in other areas as well).

    If chkdsk can't re-structure the filesystem around the bad bits, it's time to backup what you can and lay it to rest.
    Thanks, finally the chkdsk ran completely.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    17 May 2016 #8

    hdd regenerator is third paty i thing it might work not that i know free you can use a usb or dvd /cd
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    17 May 2016 #9

    I realize this thread has been marked as solved, but just for future reference there's a free diagnostic tool from Seagate called SeaTools. From the user manual:
    SeaTools for Windows is a comprehensive, easy to use diagnostic tool that helps you quickly determine the
    condition of the disk drive in your external hard drive, desktop or notebook computer. It includes several tests that will examine the physical media on your Seagate, Maxtor or Samsung disk drive and any non-Seagate disk drive. SeaTools for Windows should run on both internal and external hard drives.
    One cautionary note, however. If a drive is failing, any diagnostic check could stress the drive to complete failure. It's always best to backup the drive as soon as possible.

    SeaTools | Seagate
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    18 May 2016 #10

    marsmimar said: View Post
    I realize this thread has been marked as solved, but just for future reference there's a free diagnostic tool from Seagate called SeaTools. From the user manual:

    One cautionary note, however. If a drive is failing, any diagnostic check could stress the drive to complete failure. It's always best to backup the drive as soon as possible.

    SeaTools | Seagate
    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I've not needed a disk repair tool in a long time. However, I now have a 3TB drive that's failing on me. It works for a while and then stops being recognized. I've tried disk imaging it with Macrium, but it fails partway through with disk...
Repair software in Software and Apps
I need advice on whether the software I'm dealing with is any good or not. I bought Reimage, but it won't work because the license key they sent me is invalid. I'm still arguing with them. ByteFence says Reimage is Malware, but I wonder about them...
Solved Windows 10 Repair Disk in Performance & Maintenance
G'day, This morning when I turned on my computer, I was getting peeps from my tower. The screen would go black and the machine would turn off. I turned everything off and re booted, it happened again. I have left the power off for two hours and...
I've recently upgraded to windows 10 home version from windows 8.1 . My hard disk space before the upgrade was around 50GB. After the upgrade it was reduced to around 32 GB. I figured it was just because windows was storing some of the older files...
Win 10 System repair disk question in Performance & Maintenance
Since now I don't have install disks and I have 4 versions of Win 10 (Home 64 bit, Home 32 bit, Pro 64 bit and Pro 32 bit) do I need 4 versions of system repair disk or will one disk work on everything? Tks.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:37.
Find Us