Windows 10: All of a sudden I can't run some apps with my admin account? Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    03 May 2016 #1

    All of a sudden I can't run some apps with my admin account?


    I'm used to only ever having one account on my computers because I don't share them. I (regrettably?) upgraded my laptop to Win 10 months ago and yet I've only now noticed that I can't run certain apps including Calculator and Edge because my account is an 'Admin' account. I searched the net and this is an old problem but a) why am I noticing this only now? Is this restriction being rolled out slowly across different countries? b) Why is it okay for me to run other apps like PowerPoint and Inkscape?

    c) How should I proceed? Can I make a new admin account and then downgrade the privileges of my current account or do I have to create a new user account and use that? Won't I lose all my user account cookies and desktop stuff and preferences and recent documents and so on and so forth?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 2,714
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1703 Build 15063.608
       03 May 2016 #2

    This behaviour only happens if you are running with the built-in admin account which is very risky from a security point of view! All the modern windows apps will not run but the traditional programs will run. I'm not sure why you ended up with this but I suggest you do the following:

    1. Create a new user account and set it up as a local account with administrator user settings , log into this account and copy over any personal files and settings from your previous admin account.
    2. Disable the built-in Admin account
    3. You can optionally convert your local account to a Microsoft Account if you wish to.

    These tutorials will help:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 4,771
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       03 May 2016 #3

    THX1138 said: View Post
    I'm used to only ever having one account on my computers because I don't share them. I (regrettably?) upgraded my laptop to Win 10 months ago and yet I've only now noticed that I can't run certain apps including Calculator and Edge because my account is an 'Admin' account. I searched the net and this is an old problem but a) why am I noticing this only now? Is this restriction being rolled out slowly across different countries? b) Why is it okay for me to run other apps like PowerPoint and Inkscape?

    c) How should I proceed? Can I make a new admin account and then downgrade the privileges of my current account or do I have to create a new user account and use that? Won't I lose all my user account cookies and desktop stuff and preferences and recent documents and so on and so forth?
    1. It is possible that your admin account is corrupted.
    To prove that, create another admin account > logon to it and see if everything is working correctly.
    If yes, use it for a few days to make sure.

    2. If the new admin account is fine, go back to the old admin account > backup files you want to keep > delete the corrupt account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    05 May 2016 #4

    When I click on "Add someone else to this PC" under Accounts, a black window flashes on the screen briefly and disappears with no apparent way to create a new account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 4,771
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       05 May 2016 #5

    THX1138 said: View Post
    When I click on "Add someone else to this PC" under Accounts, a black window flashes on the screen briefly and disappears with no apparent way to create a new account.
    Strange.
    Does this also happen if you click on "Add a family member " ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 2,714
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1703 Build 15063.608
       05 May 2016 #6

    THX1138 said: View Post
    When I click on "Add someone else to this PC" under Accounts, a black window flashes on the screen briefly and disappears with no apparent way to create a new account.
    This makes me think you will have to reset your PC and start again making sure you create a normal admin account rather than using the built-in one. It may be worthwhile thinking about doing a clean install because this will be much better in the long run. I'll give you tutorials for these two options below. Please note that you will need to back up all your files first as you will lose them and your apps and programs.


    Reset Windows 10
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    05 May 2016 #7

    davidhk said: View Post
    Strange.
    Does this also happen if you click on "Add a family member " ?
    Adding a family member wasn't an option for some other reason but it doesn't matter since I got around it by running 'netplwiz' from the Run dialogue.

    I've made a new account but, predictably, it lacks all my customisations such as desktop icons pointing to specific network drives, single-clicking files to open, my VPN settings, my task bar and start menu shortcuts and so on. This is more of a hassle than not being able to use Calculator and Edge. Is there some way to copy all these things from the Admin account to the User account I just created?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    05 May 2016 #8

    I don't know how to determine whether my Admin account is "built-in" or not. The account seemed to be automatically created when I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. My password was changed from my local account password to my Microsoft password and I carried on for months without thinking about it until some applications stopped opening at some point and I created this thread.

    Edit: Ah, here we go. It is the "Built in Administrator account". When I try to open certain apps I get the following error message:

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 4,771
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       05 May 2016 #9

    THX1138 said: View Post
    Adding a family member wasn't an option for some other reason but it doesn't matter since I got around it by running 'netplwiz' from the Run dialogue.

    I've made a new account but, predictably, it lacks all my customisations such as desktop icons pointing to specific network drives, single-clicking files to open, my VPN settings, my task bar and start menu shortcuts and so on. This is more of a hassle than not being able to use Calculator and Edge. Is there some way to copy all these things from the Admin account to the User account I just created?
    THX1138 said: View Post
    I don't know how to determine whether my Admin account is "built-in" or not. The account seemed to be automatically created when I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. My password was changed from my local account password to my Microsoft password and I carried on for months without thinking about it until some applications stopped opening at some point and I created this thread.

    By the way, when you create a new user account, you can set it as an Admin account too.

    But that is besides the point now.
    I would suggest that you do a Repair Install.
    Repair Install allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation is automatic.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
    If you find the tutorial is bit overwhelming, please post back for clarifications.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,714
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1703 Build 15063.608
       05 May 2016 #10

    I think the OP has sorted out his problem now. He did have a built-in admin account and he has now created a new account.

    Please confirm that your new account is an admin account and that you can open all the windows apps.

    Then we can help you transfer over your files etc before you disable the built-in account as I explained in my original post #2.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
The firm in which I work has a Lenovo PC with Windows 10 installed. There are two user profiles on the computer, the admin and another normal account without administration rights. We have only the password of the account without administrator...
Domain admin account as built-in admin account in User Accounts and Family Safety
I just upgraded two brand new pc's from Win 7 to Win 10. Computers were already added to the domain in Win 7 and I was logged into the domain administrator account when I did the upgrade to Win 10. Now when I am logged in with the domain...
I managed to get rid of a lot of apps in my admin account by using the code (see screenshot) but i can't remove them in user account . I tried the code that is supposed to prevent the user account from having all the apps re install but it didn't...
I have not found anything like my problem on any forum or thread. In my Administrator Account the Windows Store opens and I can install Apps. I expected those same Apps I just installed to appear in my User Account, they did not. Both my Admin and...
I am trying to change my user account from guest to admin as many things aren't working right. I have tried cmd -> netplwiz and it asks me for an admin password, but gives me no box to type it in. Even if it did, I don't know what the admin...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54.
Find Us