Windows 10: Is W10 uninstalling apps itself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 43
    (1&2) Windows 10 Pro (retail USB)
       22 Apr 2016 #1

    Is W10 uninstalling apps itself?


    Two versions of CPU-Z and one of GPU-Z have mysteriously disappared from my computer without any trace a couple of weeks ago. Anyone else who have experienced anything similar?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    22 Apr 2016 #2

    I have had CCleaner uninstalled by Windows 10. I'm not sure if any other programs were uninstalled. Old age, my memory isn't what it use to be. 🙂
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    22 Apr 2016 #3

    OP,, yes. Windows will uninstall those when you get an update.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 Apr 2016 #4

    Actually, Windows doesn't "uninstall" apps. What it does is fail to migrate them during an upgrade.

    If Windows detects a version of a piece of software that it currently considers incompatible, or it just doesn't understand the way the app installed itself, then it will not migrate it to the new instance of Windows (most people don't realize that during an upgrade, it actually installs a completely new copy of Windows and then migrates apps from the old to the new).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    22 Apr 2016 #5

    Mystere said: View Post
    Actually, Windows doesn't "uninstall" apps. What it does is fail to migrate them during an upgrade.

    If Windows detects a version of a piece of software that it currently considers incompatible, or it just doesn't understand the way the app installed itself, then it will not migrate it to the new instance of Windows (most people don't realize that during an upgrade, it actually installs a completely new copy of Windows and then migrates apps from the old to the new).
    Do you have a link so I can check that out?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    22 Apr 2016 #6

    How exactly do you think the Windows.old folder happens? It first renames your old System, Program Files, Users, etc.. then it installs the new OS.

    If you're quick, you can actually see this by pressing SHIFT-F10 during the install, which brings up a command prompt and you can go look at the filesystem structure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    23 Apr 2016 #7

    Mystere said: View Post
    How exactly do you think the Windows.old folder happens? It first renames your old System, Program Files, Users, etc.. then it installs the new OS.

    If you're quick, you can actually see this by pressing SHIFT-F10 during the install, which brings up a command prompt and you can go look at the filesystem structure.
    I just asked for a link. I was curious of what MS said about programs being removed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 43
    (1&2) Windows 10 Pro (retail USB)
    Thread Starter
       23 Apr 2016 #8

    Mystere said: View Post
    Actually, Windows doesn't "uninstall" apps. What it does is fail to migrate them during an upgrade.

    If Windows detects a version of a piece of software that it currently considers incompatible, or it just doesn't understand the way the app installed itself, then it will not migrate it to the new instance of Windows (most people don't realize that during an upgrade, it actually installs a completely new copy of Windows and then migrates apps from the old to the new).
    I have not made any upgrade. I have a virgin retail installation of version 10240. Updates have been installed of course.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    23 Apr 2016 #9

    Submarine said: View Post
    I have not made any upgrade. I have a virgin retail installation of version 10240. Updates have been installed of course.

    I had the same happen to me with CCleaner. As I recall it was after a update and not a new build. That is why I asked about a link so I could see what MS had to say about programs being uninstalled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,582
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240
       23 Apr 2016 #10

    Check Windows Defender. I have had Winword.exe from Office97 twice quarantined and removed from its installed folder across the network, with open documents, without anything more than the bland "Defender has found Malware and removed it".
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I finally migrated to W10pro today(09.04.16) from 7 just to get this free upgrade offer and I'm trying to get rid of some of the default apps. I did read tutorial on it on here, but I think it's not entirely relevant anymore, I'm guessing it's after...
I got the free trial version of Office and was planning on buying it after my trial is over. However, I'm wondering if there's a way to only install or keep certain programs? I don't use most of them. I have the entire Office suite already...
Hello is it possible to uninstall the first installed OS (Windows 8.1) in the SSD that has also win 10 installed into the second partition without losing data in win 10? If not from windows tools maybe using some software? Currently this is how my...
Hey guys, I am interested in setting up some company-wide commands to remove a lot of the built-in crap from Windows 10. Employees don't need to be using the Xbox app, and we don't need Get Office, Get Skype etc as we already have those...
Uninstalling Windows apps in Software and Apps
Hello guys, how can I uninstall all these apps I don't need? The tutorial Apps - Uninstall in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums is not working. As the folder of the app actually remains.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:37.
Find Us