Windows 10: No idea what this is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    20 Apr 2016 #1

    No idea what this is.


    In Settings, "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" there is something called PCFDOC8.exe Under it, it says "install progress 100%. The bar is switched off, but even on it does nothing. Any idea what this is, and how to remove it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    20 Apr 2016 #2

    Hi, as an internet search shows nothing, suggest you install Everything by void tools, index, and try searching your PC for that. If it's there, and not restricted by permissions, Everything will find it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,512
    Windows 10 Pro x64 - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       20 Apr 2016 #3

    As this is identifiable as an EXE file but does not get any hits in Google I am a bit concerned that this may be one of the malware infections that create a random named executable each time it infects a system - you may want to check the file out with MalwareBytes free and a few on-line malware checkers
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 14,991
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       20 Apr 2016 #4

    Barman58 said: View Post
    As this is identifiable as an EXE file but does not get any hits in Google I am a bit concerned that this may be one of the malware infections that create a random named executable each time it infects a system - you may want to check the file out with MalwareBytes free and a few on-line malware checkers
    VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    20 Apr 2016 #5

    I ran Malware Anti Malware Bytes and Super Anti Spyware. Both negative.
    Everything also negative.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    20 Apr 2016 #6

    Maybe it's some leftover entry... if you believe that to be so you could try a registry search and decide what you wish to try.

    Take due backup precautions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 26,737
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
       20 Apr 2016 #7

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, as an internet search shows nothing, suggest you install Everything by void tools, index, and try searching your PC for that. If it's there, and not restricted by permissions, Everything will find it.
    Very good choice, Everything even finds hidden folders/files also. At least his latest beta does.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    20 Apr 2016 #8

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Very good choice, Everything even finds hidden folders/files also. At least his latest beta does.
    'cept it found nothing.. which begs the question as to its origin, and my suggestion of the registry. Odd.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 26,737
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
       20 Apr 2016 #9

    dalchina said: View Post
    'cept it found nothing.. which begs the question as to its origin, and my suggestion of the registry. Odd.
    Yes checking registry also very good idea, but I thought it was milford that had this name showing up on his computer? So wondering if the user tried everything??
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    20 Apr 2016 #10

    I suggest running a mainstream virus program such as AVG or Avast. SuperAntiSpyware deals mostly with malicous cookies and Malwarebytes deals mostly with malware rather than viruses.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
No idea what I'very done! in General Support
I was playing Portal 2 through Steam when it glitched, the colours went weird and it froze. Restarted and it was fine for about ten minutes and it did it again. The third time it reacted to a YouTube video, so it can't have been Steam. Now when it...
I guess you all remember these ads about users claiming to have had the idea and telling Microsoft. is it true, can you just email in with an idea. has anyone ever tried it.
Hi there I really LOATHE these voice activated command sets -- we have enough "noisy intrusions" already with people screaming away at the top of their voices on mobile phones in public areas or even in open plan offices - people just forget any...
positive idea for a Bootkit in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Ok I belive I know what your thinking but lets not go there. To start off I want to know if its possible to make one for my pc specifcally for security reasons as I find most of the bios's come standard with a password lock but it can be flushed. I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:09.
Find Us