1. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       05 Apr 2016 #1

    downloading excel file changes file extension to .xlsx


    I have tried to download an Excel (.xls extension) from a web site I use. On download I get a file with a .xlsx extension which will not open in Windows Office 2010. I successfully downloaded the file using Chromodo so I assume there is something corrupting the download via windows 10 Microsoft browser?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    05 Apr 2016 #2

    bcubed said: View Post
    I have tried to download an Excel (.xls extension) from a web site I use. On download I get a file with a .xlsx extension which will not open in Windows Office 2010. I successfully downloaded the file using Chromodo so I assume there is something corrupting the download via windows 10 Microsoft browser?
    Hi there
    on the download is there a SAVE AS option -- that might work if you change the default to .xls

    Otherwise I think there are some xlsx viewers where you could view the file or change it to xls. (Note changing to xls will possibly remove some formatting etc).

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Mar 2015
    Philadelphia
    Posts : 1,078
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       05 Apr 2016 #3

    Office 2010 opens .xlsx as it's native file type, so it is likely that the files you are downloading are corrupt. I don't know why the extension would be changing, but you could try renaming them to .xls and seeing if they open properly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 2,453
    Windows10
       06 Apr 2016 #4

    DeaconFrost said: View Post
    Office 2010 opens .xlsx as it's native file type, so it is likely that the files you are downloading are corrupt. I don't know why the extension would be changing, but you could try renaming them to .xls and seeing if they open properly.
    Agreed - .xlsx is the default for 2010. File must be corrupt, or possibly 2010 installation is corrupt.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 436
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       06 Apr 2016 #5

    Can you give us a link to the file?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       07 Apr 2016 #6

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there
    on the download is there a SAVE AS option -- that might work if you change the default to .xls

    Otherwise I think there are some xlsx viewers where you could view the file or change it to xls. (Note changing to xls will possibly remove some formatting etc).

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Hi there

    I can only rename the file which does not affect the file extension. Interestingly, when I have successfully downloaded the file using my Chromodo browser it is shown as an 'excel 97 - 2003 worksheet', whilst via Microsoft edge it is shown as an 'excel worksheet'.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       07 Apr 2016 #7

    nigelmercier said: View Post
    Can you give us a link to the file?
    Useful Contacts
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Mar 2015
    Philadelphia
    Posts : 1,078
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       07 Apr 2016 #8

    That opened right up for me without any issues on Excel 2013. I saved it to my desktop and then double-clicked the file. It worked for me in IE11 and Chrome.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,766
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       07 Apr 2016 #9

    bcubed said: View Post
    I have tried to download an Excel (.xls extension) from a web site I use. On download I get a file with a .xlsx extension which will not open in Windows Office 2010. I successfully downloaded the file using Chromodo so I assume there is something corrupting the download via windows 10 Microsoft browser?
    All MS Office 2007 version or higher are designed to open xlsx files.
    Something has gone amiss in your 2010.

    Maybe doing a Repair will fix the problem..................
    Go to Programs and features > right click at Microsoft Office 2010 > click Change > click Repair
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 436
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       07 Apr 2016 #10

    Just downloaded on my tablet, I got a .xls file.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved File extension not in file association list
Hello, I use Notepad++ to edit Python files which have the file extension .py such as "sample.py" I would like to set Notepad++ as the default program to open .py files. When I open a .py file I get the popup asking me which file I want to use...
General Support
Unable to copy file from Excel jump list
Hi, With Win7 I used to be able to copy a recent or pinned file from any MS Office jump list by right clicking and selecting Copy from the context menu For Win 10 the menu is still there but when you r/c the file it doesn't appear to be in focus...
Software and Apps
Excel file shows on every desktop
No other program does this, but if I have an Excel 2003 document open, it will show on every virtual desktop (usually). This is especially odd since the window is showing and can be used, but there is not icon for it on the taskbar (unless you are...
General Support
Solved Office 365 / Excel 'corrupt' file
Hi Running W10 pro...with office 365 Outlook/Excel etc... Excel is giving me fits. Opening an excel file within an email gives me 'corrupt' file. If I save the file I will be able to open it up *sometimes*. I have tricked the OS into...
Software and Apps
File extension for Open Office Writer
I've been using MSOffice Word for quite some time. I want to switch over to Open Office Writer. Can I save a file that I make in Writer with an docx file extinsion? If not, since I have dozens of files with the docx externsion, which is the best one...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums