1.    27 Mar 2016 #1
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 48
    Windows 10

    Need help with getting "Choose a default" to work in Photo Viewer


    Every time I choose Photoshop as the default photo viewer (via Settings | Default Apps | Photo Viewer | Choose a default), nothing happens, meaning: the selection is not accepted or held.

    I would like .jpg files to open for viewing in Photoshop. I managed to change the default for .tif files but cannot set the default to open .jpg's in Photoshop.

    I have also tried to change the default photo viewer for .jpg's via "Open With" but it doesn't hold that way either.

    Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Mar 2016 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,794
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Try the old fashioned way..................

    Right click at Start > Control Panel > top right, click View by > select either large or small > select Default Programs > click Select a file type or protocol with a program > wait for it to load > left side, scroll down to .jpg > click it > top right click Change program > scroll to find your Photo Shop > click it > click OK.

    See if jpg now opens with Photo Shop.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    27 Mar 2016 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Portsmouth Hampshire
    Posts : 1,782
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240

    Find a .jpg file, and right click it. In the "open with" drop down menu, select "choose another app" - even if you can see Photoshop listed - and in the new list, find Photoshop, even if you have to click the "more apps" button. Now once you can see Photoshop, at the bottom of the list, check the "Always use..." box then select Photoshop, and click ok. Do this whenever you find another graphics image filetype you want to open with Photoshop.

    I find Windows 10 annoying in this respect, since it can and does revert selected defaults back to Photos or Film and TV, even if you have said otherwise. Most annoying is PDFs opening by default in Edge when I have deliberately downloaded Foxit Reader for this purpose. Ho Hum.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    27 Mar 2016 #4
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 48
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    Find a .jpg file, and right click it. In the "open with" drop down menu, select "choose another app" - even if you can see Photoshop listed - and in the new list, find Photoshop, even if you have to click the "more apps" button. Now once you can see Photoshop, at the bottom of the list, check the "Always use..." box then select Photoshop, and click ok. Do this whenever you find another graphics image filetype you want to open with Photoshop.

    I find Windows 10 annoying in this respect, since it can and does revert selected defaults back to Photos or Film and TV, even if you have said otherwise. Most annoying is PDFs opening by default in Edge when I have deliberately downloaded Foxit Reader for this purpose. Ho Hum.
    Tried this, and at first thought that Win 10 still doesn't open .jpg's in Photoshop as the Photoshop symbol does not display to the left of the .jpg's. However, when clicking on some .jpg's, they did open in Photoshop! Thanks.

    Agree it is annoying that Win 10 reverts back to what seem to be its preferred default settings. Have had trouble with PDF's opening in Edge too :-(
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    27 Mar 2016 #5
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 48
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Try the old fashioned way..................

    Right click at Start > Control Panel > top right, click View by > select either large or small > select Default Programs > click Select a file type or protocol with a program > wait for it to load > left side, scroll down to .jpg > click it > top right click Change program > scroll to find your Photo Shop > click it > click OK.

    See if jpg now opens with Photo Shop.
    I tried the suggestion give by fafhrd and it worked.

    I expect Win 10 will revert back to its preferred photo viewer so am saving your suggestion to try if it happens again. Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    27 Mar 2016 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,794
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I tried the suggestion give by fafhrd and it worked.

    I expect Win 10 will revert back to its preferred photo viewer so am saving your suggestion to try if it happens again. Thanks.
    I thought you said:
    I have also tried to change the default photo viewer for .jpg's via "Open With" but it doesn't hold that way either.

    That's why I did not suggest that.
    Anyway, it does not matter.
    You get the solution, only thing that matters.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    28 Mar 2016 #7
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 48
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    I thought you said:
    I have also tried to change the default photo viewer for .jpg's via "Open With" but it doesn't hold that way either.

    That's why I did not suggest that.
    Hello again. You are correct about that, meaning, I did state I had tried "open with".

    Turns out, by simply using "open with" the problem was not solved. By taking the extra step after selecting "open with" and not selecting Photoshop there as one would expect to work, but instead selecting "choose another app" and then selecting Photoshop listed there, the setting held. It's certainly a convoluted way of selecting one's desired photo viewer.

    Thanks again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Can't Add Default Photo Viewer App I want
Okay so another Windows 10 weird issue! I am trying to make IrfanView my default photo viewer app. However, Windows will not let this be! When I try to choose a default, but this app is not even recognized. What I can do is actually click on a...
Software and Apps
"Choose an option" menu appears on clicking restart
Hi there, It used to be when I press the power button, followed by the restart option, my PC will immediately perform the restart action. However, not sure when it began, now when I click the power button, followed by the restart option, the...
General Support
Stuck at "Choose a keyboard layout".
Can anyone tell me how to fix that problem
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Customize "Choose which folders appear on start" ?
In settings > personalization > start > Choose which folders appear on start Can we add custom folders to this ? There are some folders which I use very frequently which aren't any of the standard folders (downloads, documents etc)
General Support
Lock Screen "Choose Apps" menu shows NONE
I have W10 on 4 computers and each one is different regarding the lock screens "Choose apps to show detailed..." menu options. The PC i am on now shows none in both menus. and the other 3 show some but each is random in what it shows. All PC's...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:23.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums