Windows 10: VLC not showing thumbnails view of Video File

  1.    22 Mar 2016 #1

    VLC not showing thumbnails view of Video File


    VLC is not showing thumbnails view of video files. My Video files are generally flv. I have not checked whether it is showing thumbnails for other type of video files or not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    22 Mar 2016 #2

    a piece of software called icaros can help. If specified in the settings it will take responsibility for thumbnail generation of various file types

    Icaros 2.3.0 / 3.0.0 RC4 - Download

    background info that led to my discovery is on this forum

    Mpg files Windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    22 Mar 2016 #3

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    a piece of software called icaros can help. If specified in the settings it will take responsibility for thumbnail generation of various file types

    Icaros 2.3.0 / 3.0.0 RC4 - Download

    background info that led to my discovery is on this forum

    Mpg files Windows 10
    Thanks but I read somewhere that there is malware in it and many antivirus will not allow this. So I am reluctant to use this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    23 Mar 2016 #4

    I downloaded it months back and haven't seen any issues. If your not sure about the links you could try major geeks to download icaros from. I have zero problem with it. With any installer just look carefully at what your agreeing to during installation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    23 Mar 2016 #5

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    I downloaded it months back and haven't seen any issues. If your not sure about the links you could try major geeks to download icaros from. I have zero problem with it. With any installer just look carefully at what your agreeing to during installation.
    Two questions - Whether it works on Win 10 64 bit and second whether K lite Codec Pack also does the same thing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    23 Mar 2016 #6

    Yes, I have windows 10 64 bit and it worked for me. Although my aim if you look at this thread was to get Windows to generate a thumbnail for mpeg (MS brutally ripped out MPEG support since Windows 7). Icaros worked perfectly for me in this instance but I don't see why it shouldn't help with the FLV thumbnail also. When I looked it seemed to support thumbnailing for countless video file extensions. Most of which I have never used or even heard of so I think it should have you well covered.

    http://www.cccp-project.net/forums/i...c=7784.new#new

    I don't know about K Lite Codec Pack, Icaros maybe included but I remember trying to install this pack once and it didn't react great on my system (it was a while back so cannot remember the reason). But I wouldn't touch it ever again personally. I only really use MP4, WMV, MPEG video files so no need to install codecs.

    Before installing do you have your system correctly setup for Windows to generate thumbnails? It's worth checking if is working on other file formats. I don't think FLV is a native to Windows so I guess it makes sense that it won't show the thumbnail without the assistance of Icaros.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html
    Last edited by Scottyboy99; 23 Mar 2016 at 05:52.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    23 Mar 2016 #7

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    Yes, I have windows 10 64 bit and it worked for me. Although my aim if you look at this thread was to get Windows to generate a thumbnail for mpeg (MS brutally ripped out MPEG support since Windows 7). Icaros worked perfectly for me in this instance but I don't see why it shouldn't help with the FLV thumbnail also. When I looked it seemed to support thumbnailing for countless video file extensions. Most of which I have never used or even heard of so I think it should have you well covered.

    http://www.cccp-project.net/forums/i...c=7784.new#new

    I don't know about K Lite Codec Pack, Icaros maybe included but I remember trying to install this pack once and it didn't react great on my system (it was a while back so cannot remember the reason). But I wouldn't touch it ever again personally. I only really use MP4, WMV, MPEG video files so no need to install codecs.

    Before installing do you have your system correctly setup for Windows to generate thumbnails? It's worth checking if is working on other file formats. I don't think FLV is a native to Windows so I guess it makes sense that it won't show the thumbnail without the assistance of Icaros.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html
    Just for information. I have one XP also and in that machine VLC is showing thumbnails for flv, may be because of K-Lite Codec Pack. In Win 10 it is showing thumbnail for mp4 files but not for flv. So I am thinking to convert my flv files to mp4 files instead of installing Codec Pack or Icaros. Pl let me know whether Icaros is also Codec Pack.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    24 Mar 2016 #8

    I don't think icaros can be classed as a codec, it's just a thumbnail generator. If I were you I'd forget k lite and just install icaros - can always be uninstalled if you don't like it, take a system restore point first or better still a system image. Just for peace of mind but I can only say from my own experience icaros works great. Of course you can convert the flv files to MP4 but that sounds time consuming when icaros can provide fix within minutes. I do think k lite pack includes the icaros along wth the codecs but I think it's full of all sorts of stuff. When I tried it I just didn't like it, wish I could remember why. Maybe it behaves better on XP than 10. Which is why the option to only install icaros appealed to me. I find Windows 10 to be a bit of a fussy, ticking time bomb. I doesn't take much for it to start playing up so I try to be minimalist with what I install now, icaros fitted the bill
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    26 Mar 2016 #9

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    I don't think icaros can be classed as a codec, it's just a thumbnail generator. If I were you I'd forget k lite and just install icaros - can always be uninstalled if you don't like it, take a system restore point first or better still a system image. Just for peace of mind but I can only say from my own experience icaros works great. Of course you can convert the flv files to MP4 but that sounds time consuming when icaros can provide fix within minutes. I do think k lite pack includes the icaros along wth the codecs but I think it's full of all sorts of stuff. When I tried it I just didn't like it, wish I could remember why. Maybe it behaves better on XP than 10. Which is why the option to only install icaros appealed to me. I find Windows 10 to be a bit of a fussy, ticking time bomb. I doesn't take much for it to start playing up so I try to be minimalist with what I install now, icaros fitted the bill
    Thanks for the information
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Thumbnails showing as icons in General Support
Hi - I hope someone can help When I look at my phone image files through my laptop via USB MTP using Windows10 I can see some file thumbnails as images (those from the DCIM Android folders - DCM images and other JPG images transferred to my...
Hi, I was trying to save an image from the internet and my fingers slipped on a key. Since then every time the save-as box opens, where the files should show, it is just grey. I will attach a picture to show the issue. Could someone please assist me...
I use Windows 10, but ever since upgrade from XP to windows 7, PSD thumbnails are not showing in windows explorer, as jpg and gif does. Tried this solution but nothing changed: How to enable Thumbnail view for Photoshop PSD files in Windows 7 any...
Hello my video thumbnails wont update. It shows me the preview of the first video thumbnail but when i select another, the preview remains the same in the preview pane. I use the "List" view. help, i am a video editor who just pdated to windows 10
So last night before I went to bed, I had 10130 as my build of W10. Worked great, no problems at all with it. Come down this morning and find that overnight I have been upgraded to 10162. As a result, no thumbnails will show. Not even folders in...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:10.
Find Us