Windows 10: Office 2016 - Latest update - Black Theme now Gone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

  1. Posts : 14,874
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       27 Aug 2016 #21

    No I don't sorry.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 14,288
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       27 Aug 2016 #22

    dacrone said: View Post
    I have build 16.0.7167.2040 and do not have Black as an option. I only have Colorful, Dark Gray and White. If I change:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common
    UI Theme value to 4

    It makes office black until I close and reopen it, at which time it reverts to Colorful. So...

    1) Does anyone have this build and the Black option normally?
    2) If it has been removed in this build, is it possible to make this reg key stick?
    I have 7167.2040 with Colorful, Dark Gray, Black and White.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 14,288
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       27 Aug 2016 #23

    lopedoggie said: View Post
    If you want black theme then personalize your desktop background to high contrast using something that gets your colors to where you want them. Works here and it is black black for office 2016
    I don't have my desktop background set to high contrast, and still have the black theme.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    27 Aug 2016 #24

    I gave in... For all others that want this issue resolved immediately...

    Close all office programs
    Open an Elevated Command Prompt at:*
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun"

    Run command:
    OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.4201.1006

    Then once it is done, disable updates in File > Account. Once I downgraded build versions I had the Black option. I set that then updated to newest version again and it disappeared again... I don't know why it does that. So, I downgraded again and it was back. Just sticking with this version unless security becomes a major issue (only home use anyway).

    *Also, I have seen a lot of posts regarding Word's document background being too bright of a white. This can be changed easily in Design > Page Color. Change that on your template and save it and you're golden.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    10 Sep 2016 #25

    Office has since auto-updated and I have lost the black theme again. I know that I can disable the updates, but I would like to stay up-to-date with security features as I have work emails synced in my outlook... Does anyone know the location of the default themes? My idea is to roll another computer back to a previous version, copy the black theme from it's source location and paste it to my work computer and see if it is accessible. I simply cannot find the source location. Any input for this is greatly appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    10 Sep 2016 #26

    dacrone said: View Post
    Office has since auto-updated and I have lost the black theme again. I know that I can disable the updates, but I would like to stay up-to-date with security features as I have work emails synced in my outlook... Does anyone know the location of the default themes? My idea is to roll another computer back to a previous version, copy the black theme from it's source location and paste it to my work computer and see if it is accessible. I simply cannot find the source location. Any input for this is greatly appreciated.
    I'm on 16.0.7167.2040 and have black theme.

    While I can't find the theme files I can see (looking with procmon) that when you set the theme to black it updates "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\UI Theme" to 4

    (Colorful is 0, Dark Grey is 3, Black is 4 and White is 5)

    I can change the theme by updating this registry value direct using regedit (close all Office programs first). Note I'm not using high contrast and black works fine.

    You could try that - you may have the black theme files anyway just not the way to enable it..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    10 Sep 2016 #27

    lx07 said: View Post
    I'm on 16.0.7167.2040 and have black theme.

    While I can't find the theme files I can see (looking with procmon) that when you set the theme to black it updates "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\UI Theme" to 4

    (Colorful is 0, Dark Grey is 3, Black is 4 and White is 5)

    I can change the theme by updating this registry value direct using regedit (close all Office programs first). Note I'm not using high contrast and black works fine.

    You could try that - you may have the black theme files anyway just not the way to enable it..
    Yes, I am able to modify it with the registry trick, but as I stated previously... It reverts back after closing the office program and reopening. This is where I am at a loss as to why it does not show in the drop down menu.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1
    brain os human edition ver unknown
       06 Dec 2016 #28

    sorry for necroposting, working solution:
    open permissions of UI Theme reg folder
    go to advanced security settings
    disable inheritance, copy permissions - dont delete them
    give your user account read only acces to UI Theme folder - not to folder and it's subfolders
    after that add Full acces permission to Only it's subfolders,
    then your theme will be black and everything will work ok.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 14,288
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       06 Dec 2016 #29

    1234569 said: View Post
    sorry for necroposting, working solution:
    open permissions of UI Theme reg folder
    go to advanced security settings
    disable inheritance, copy permissions - dont delete them
    give your user account read only acces to UI Theme folder - not to folder and it's subfolders
    after that add Full acces permission to Only it's subfolders,
    then your theme will be black and everything will work ok.
    Good morning, Numbers; welcome to Ten Forums

    Although I don't need the black theme, there are others who do, so thanks for that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Related Threads
Hi there YMMV but I'm not so sure about this one --it has a certain charm and probably will be liked by younger users on these boards -- however it's worth a look. After latest Office 2016 update there's the BLACK Theme . I don't have Office...
This was a pretty odd thing especially considering the effect. In the normal Startup or on the task-bar the icons for each program are where I put them and look and work normally. However, on my desktop itself, they only show up as white squares....
Source: Office 2016 Preview update 2 - Office Blogs Get Office 2016: Office 2016 Preview download page (direct) Get Office 2016 Preview (32 bit) (direct) Get Office 2016 Preview (64 bit)
Office Office 2016 on Windows Preview update in Windows 10 News
Source: http://blogs.office.com/2015/06/04/office-2016-on-windows-preview-update/
Read more: Leaked screenshots from latest Office 2016 build reveals new colorful theme | Windows Central
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:14.
Find Us