1.    07 Mar 2016 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10

    Lack of premium channel apps in Windows store


    The only premium movie channel app I found was Epix. Is this correct?
    And that's prolly the most unknown movie channel.
    HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Encore, Starz, TMC, all don't appear. Did I miss any?

    What's up with that? You'd figure since there are so many more Windows users than any other "device", that would be a important place to host your app. Is there some sort of special reason that causes them to be not in the Windows Store?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Mar 2016 #2
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 339
    Window 10

    Quote Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
    The only premium movie channel app I found was Epix. Is this correct?
    And that's prolly the most unknown movie channel.
    HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Encore, Starz, TMC, all don't appear. Did I miss any?

    What's up with that? You'd figure since there are so many more Windows users than any other "device", that would be a important place to host your app. Is there some sort of special reason that causes them to be not in the Windows Store?
    Remember, apps for things like these services are written by the content companies themselved, not Microsoft. All these services work well in web browsers so a Windows app is not required. On other devices (i.e. Android and IOS devices) the streaming services experiences are poor using those devices' browsers. So Android and IOS apps were written instead.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    07 Mar 2016 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by PJLLB View Post
    Remember, apps for things like these services are written by the content companies themselved, not Microsoft. All these services work well in web browsers so a Windows app is not required. On other devices (i.e. Android and IOS devices) the streaming services experiences are poor using those devices' browsers. So Android and IOS apps were written instead.
    So I take it that Tablet-Mode-Windows usage is not really large enough for the streaming services to bother with making a specific app optimized for touch interfacing?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    08 Mar 2016 #4
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 339
    Window 10

    Quote Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
    So I take it that Tablet-Mode-Windows usage is not really large enough for the streaming services to bother with making a specific app optimized for touch interfacing?
    Lilely -- and unnecessary for them to make one. The brower access command works fully using touch rather than mouse click for all the service I checked. But someday maybe we'll see dedicated Windows apps. Netflix has one -- and the interface is very similar to the web site browser access.

    The possible reason you see an Epix app and not HBOGo, Showtime Anytime, Starz, Cinemax, the Movie Channel and Encore is because these have been around a lot longer than Epix and had existing mature streaming web site for their services already in place. And Epix is still trying to build a subscriber base.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
MS Teases Project Centennial as New Way to Fix Windows 10 Lack of Apps
Microsoft Teases “Project Centennial” as New Way to Fix Windows 10 Lack of Apps Redmond aiming to bring Win32 apps in the store 67030 Read more:...
Windows 10 News
Office Deferred Channel build now available for Office 365 Client apps
Source: Deferred Channel build now available for the Office 365 Client apps - Office Blogs
Windows 10 News
Apps & Reliability (or lack of)
Hi, This is addressed more to Microsoft than the Forum at large: My Reliability Monitor would be running at 10 most if not all of the time if it weren't for those terrible Apps. It makes the Reliability Monitor look like a Snakes & Ladders Board...
Software and Apps
developing windows 10 store apps and windows 8.1 store apps accessibil
hi. developing a windows store balloon game where you have to pop the balloons, then you get a score, and then other levels. well, had to select developer mode for visual studio 2015 community edition for windows 10, then it loaded up as a windows...
General Support
[Windows Store]The Weather Channel app failed to update 0x080073B0C
hello everyone i having issue with windows store app that not updating 0x080073B0C update failed please try again wondering if anyone else using that apps having similar issue or not i already tried uninstall the app, which cause me stuck,...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums