Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    24 Feb 2016 #1

    Sad news --Slysoft (AnyDVD forced to shut down)


    Hi there

    I'm glad I got my copy before they shut down yesterday --not sure what the Movie industry is up to -- it's much more convenient storing DVD's etc on to a HDD and playing them at home via a server / NAS box --I don't want or need to carry around loads of physical DVD's -- apart from the hideous amount of storage they consume - and the toxic material used to produce these too.

    Popular Blu-Ray Ripper Shuts Down Following Legal Pressure - TorrentFreak

    R.I.P SLYSOFT (known as the Slyfox due to the logo)

    (Note MakeMKV is still around for ripping - but for how much longer too).

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    24 Feb 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 18,302
    Windows 10

    Thanks for the info

    AnyDVD is not something I have used, but I hope this doesn't start happening to other rippers also
    Like you I buy DVD's then rip for personal use as having the file on a media server is easier than going through lots of discs

    If the movie industries want to promote digital downloads, then that's fine by me, but first make sure that if I buy a digital copy it is mine to keep forever and not linked with DRM to the store I bought it from, so I can play it however I wish (same as music industry now)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    24 Feb 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,529
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

    Yep, this is sad news. Luckily I have my copy of AnyDVD and cloneDVD backed up with associated keys. Hopefully I can continue to use them to rip digital copies of my own dvds, for my own use. Shame on the movie industry, this won't stop pirates. It just isolates legitimate buyers even more. Because of Slysoft I actually buy more dvds because I want to build a digital library for myself. If I can't do that I will simply stop buying them.

    My only hope is MS don't send a toxic update tumbling down the pipe to cripple the software. I wouldn't put it past them. They already destroyed much of my physical game collection circa 2002-2009 by squashing securom and safedisc!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    24 Feb 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,529
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    Thanks for the info

    AnyDVD is not something I have used, but I hope this doesn't start happening to other rippers also
    Like you I buy DVD's then rip for personal use as having the file on a media server is easier than going through lots of discs

    If the movie industries want to promote digital downloads, then that's fine by me, but first make sure that if I buy a digital copy it is mine to keep forever and not linked with DRM to the store I bought it from, so I can play it however I wish (same as music industry now)
    Out of interest, what software do you use? I guess I need to be on alert for alternatives in case the worst happens
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    24 Feb 2016 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,322
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there

    I'm glad I got my copy before they shut down yesterday --not sure what the Movie industry is up to -- it's much more convenient storing DVD's etc on to a HDD and playing them at home via a server / NAS box --I don't want or need to carry around loads of physical DVD's -- apart from the hideous amount of storage they consume - and the toxic material used to produce these too.

    Popular Blu-Ray Ripper Shuts Down Following Legal Pressure - TorrentFreak

    R.I.P SLYSOFT (known as the Slyfox due to the logo)

    (Note MakeMKV is still around for ripping - but for how much longer too).

    Cheers
    jimbo
    You can still download it from here but of course it will expire eventually I guess, but you could mess around putting it in a fresh vm each time you needed it. It won't be long though before this links and other die.

    AnyDVD & AnyDVD HD 7.6.9.0 Download - TechSpot
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    24 Feb 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 18,302
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy99 View Post
    Out of interest, what software do you use? I guess I need to be on alert for alternatives in case the worst happens
    I use WinX DVD Ripper, last I looked it costs about the same as AnyDVD, but I think they do a cut down free version also
    This works for 99% of things I have tried, for others I use MakeMKV

    One of my main concerns about these closing down is what happens if you do a re install, we still have the license key, but does it do an online check to validate it when installing?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    24 Feb 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,529
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

    Hmmm, good question. I don't know, I will see if the slysoft forum can advise on this as that's still functioning
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    24 Feb 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,529
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

    Not a 100% sure but someone seems to remember achieving a successful offline install so fingers crossed. Discussion linked for reference

    Continued use of anydvd if slysoft is shutdown | SlySoft Forum
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    24 Feb 2016 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,322
    Windows10

    Just tried a clean install of anydvd in a VM where it has never been installed with internet switched off, and then applying my registry key.

    It installs ok as a 21 day trial basis, but adding the my normal registry key changes does not work any more - it remains a trial, so obviously it needs to go on line to activate. I will leave it in VM for 22 days and see if it stops working or just gives error messages (not very hopeful of course). I am sure some clever bod will find a way round this sooner or later.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    24 Feb 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 18,302
    Windows 10

    Thanks for the info

    That is more sad news that it cant be reinstalled
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Laptop freezes and has to be forced shut down and rebooted.
Hello, I have had this problem since day one with windows 10 and its about to force me back to windows 7. Random times when working on my laptop it will just freeze. If there is something playing be it music or youtube it will make a god awful...
Performance & Maintenance
Fan still running after shut lid and shut down
Hey guys, I have noticed this problem come up on my Dell 7537 (Check out my profile for details) when I close the lid to put the computer to sleep, the HDD light turns off, but the fan continues to run, even after several hours. When I open the...
General Support
forced updates
I apprieciate the free upgrade but i would like to have the option of what updates i take, i don't want updates for skype or bing so why force them on me
Windows Updates and Activation
windows 10 forced updates
I have just received news with regards to updates for windows 10. Microsoft are going to make these updates mandatory, you will be able to refuse them, but should you wish to download further updates you will have to install the updates you have...
Windows Updates and Activation
Will Win 10 be a forced download?
I apologize for this question but i have looked and cannot find the answer. Will Win 10 be a forced download. Will i have the option to install or not. thank you
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums