Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    24 Feb 2016 #11
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,409
    Windows10

    Any system is hackable ultimately, but best way to avoid data such as bank details being accessed is not to store them in first place. However with internet banking, again it is only passwords that protect you. Main thing is not to leave data in obvious files called "bank details.txt" for example.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    24 Feb 2016 #12
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Get Off My Lawn
    Posts : 5,037
    Win10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Any tool that allows you to password protect a file or folder would be just fine.

    And I'll tell ya.. let me send you and encrypted file and have at it.

    Just incase.. 7Zip ..
    You can't back up your statement as I thought.
    I agree with cereberus anything in the cloud is hackable at some point. Nothing is safe there.
    Does not matter how encrypted it is. The cloud maybe good for temp storage of non-essential information
    but nothing more.
    Anything is hackable by someone with the knowledge , time and motive to do it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    24 Feb 2016 #13

    Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
    Oh there is ?
    Name one with a link which is proven to be unhackable.
    Hi there

    If you ever heard of IBM mainframes in the past they had a security system called R.A.C.F which ran on their MVS operating system - and later variants of that OS. It was called Resource Access Control Facility. - To this day I have never heard of anybody who managed to break it (apart from possibly a rogue "system Programmer" who needed to be onsite and actually install stuff manually).

    My memory of Mainframes is that most of them had pretty secure physical access so this type of break in wasn't really likely.

    For reasonably unbreakable encryption -- anything using a DES algorithm will task even a modern PC to de-crypt in anything less than a geological age - try something like this (this is a Linux one - but Windows probably has equivalents).

    http://www.efgh.com/software/des.htm

    A 168 or 256 bit encryption system will beyond the capability of people to decrypt stuff in the time needed to do it.

    (I think the well known adage of Monkeys randomly typing on keyboards producing an exact copy of the King James Bible comes to mind here -- they will do it eventually -- but will they do it within the lifetime of the Universe !!!).

    Note also once Quantum Computers become a reality any sort of encryption becomes IMPOSSIBLE anyway as decryption will always be possible in microsecs irrespective of the complexity of the algorithm.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    24 Feb 2016 #14
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,409
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
    You can't back up your statement as I thought.
    I agree with cereberus anything in the cloud is hackable at some point. Nothing is safe there.
    Does not matter how encrypted it is. The cloud maybe good for temp storage of non-essential information
    but nothing more.
    Anything is hackable by someone with the knowledge , time and motive to do it.
    My point was not really that you should not do it, but take care and for 99+% of the time, that is all you need to do. Putting you laptop in the boot of your car where it cannot be seen is not totally secure, but significantly reduces the odds of a casual thief seeing it on your back seat, and doing an opportunistic theft. It would have to be a really determined hacker to search every file and make sense of data.

    Funnily enough that reminds me of an old trick we were taught (long before we had modern encryption and secure internet etc) is if you had to put passwords in a text file, subtract each digit from 9 and reverse digits eg 1472 becomes 7258. Similarly AXJK becomes PQCZ. Even a casual thief would not crack this immediately. Mind you a longtimne since we did this!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    24 Feb 2016 #15
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there

    If you ever heard of IBM mainframes in the past they had a security system called R.A.C.F which ran on their MVS operating system - and later variants of that OS. It was called Resource Access Control Facility. - To this day I have never heard of anybody who managed to break it (apart from possibly a rogue "system Programmer" who needed to be onsite and actually install stuff manually).

    My memory of Mainframes is that most of them had pretty secure physical access so this type of break in wasn't really likely.

    For reasonably unbreakable encryption -- anything using a DES algorithm will task even a modern PC to de-crypt in anything less than a geological age - try something like this (this is a Linux one - but Windows probably has equivalents).

    http://www.efgh.com/software/des.htm

    A 168 or 256 bit encryption system will beyond the capability of people to decrypt stuff in the time needed to do it.

    (I think the well known adage of Monkeys randomly typing on keyboards producing an exact copy of the King James Bible comes to mind here -- they will do it eventually -- but will they do it within the lifetime of the Universe !!!).

    Note also once Quantum Computers become a reality any sort of encryption becomes IMPOSSIBLE anyway as decryption will always be possible in microsecs irrespective of the complexity of the algorithm.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    When I worked at IMB shops where we used RACF I never heard of any body stealing/hacking any information. In addition there was an auto feature for RACF that protected every new file instantly so that improved security.

    The reason I feel safe in using the cloud is for these reasons.
    1. I'm not worried that out of all of the accounts that exist on the various cloud servers mine will be randomly selected for atttact.
    2.With a strong password protected file/folder I feel confident of my data security..

    Think this would be easy to hack??
    &pb25W@2nX

    And don't bother replying Bob.. you're on ignore from now on. Argue with someone else from now on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    24 Feb 2016 #16
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 61
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thank you all for your replies!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    24 Feb 2016 #17
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    I would never put any sensible data on the cloud. For that I use my external disks as my private 'cloud'.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    24 Feb 2016 #18
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Get Off My Lawn
    Posts : 5,037
    Win10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    When I worked at IMB shops where we used RACF I never heard of any body stealing/hacking any information. In addition there was an auto feature for RACF that protected every new file instantly so that improved security.

    The reason I feel safe in using the cloud is for these reasons.
    1. I'm not worried that out of all of the accounts that exist on the various cloud servers mine will be randomly selected for atttact.
    2.With a strong password protected file/folder I feel confident of my data security..

    Think this would be easy to hack??
    &pb25W@2nX

    And don't bother replying Bob.. you're on ignore from now on. Argue with someone else from now on.
    This is 2016 not back in the old days when hacking someone's account was not even a thought process.

    Its not about only one account being hacked on the cloud.
    It is all the account's being in jeopardy if someone hack's the cloud as a whole.

    Think about how you have the OS and all your files on one SSD.
    The SSD decides to fail.

    What do you lose ? Everything on the SSD is gone.

    Same thing with the cloud and all your file's saved on it, all gone.
    Not just yours but, everyone's on it.

    Now how safe was it ?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    24 Feb 2016 #19
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Standish, Lancashire
    Posts : 6,098
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I would never put any sensible data on the cloud. For that I use my external disks as my private 'cloud'.
    And unless you are storing them off site they are not much use when your house burns down, where as on the cloud the data would be fine.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    24 Feb 2016 #20
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
    And unless you are storing them off site they are not much use when your house burns down, where as on the cloud the data would be fine.
    In my country we live in houses not in cracker boxes. They don't have the habit of burning down. I cannot even remember when the last house did burn down. So that house burning scenario would be my last concern.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
3D Mark Cloud Gate
3D Mark Cloud Gate Post the link and a screenshot Download here http://www.futuremark.com/store or from Steam, the steam store, you can choose the demo
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Syncing computer Cloud with Microsoft Cloud
Apparently I really messed up somehow. The Microsoft Cloud is no longer uploading the files from my computer’s Cloud. This is the message I get when I try to force it. What did I do wrong and how do I correct it? NOTE: I removed the users name...
Network and Sharing
Anyone with experience in cloud backup?
Which is the best cloud service where I can host gigabytes of data? The service should offer high security because, I need to backup my business database and related stuffs. I have tried Google drive but not satisfied with it. One of my friend is...
Backup and Restore
Windows 9: Much ado about little, given cloud shift
Read more at: Microsoft's Windows 9: Much ado about little, given cloud shift | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
W9 Cloud Based or Subscription only ?
Hi there With Adobe Photoshop and Office already going subscription will W9 be a subscription / Cloud based service or not. I really don't like the idea of subscription based models but it seems that the market is moving inevitably towards that...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums